What was 2006 like here on the forums?

Wasn't on here but had a fair few friends who were GN'R fans. 2006 was incredible. It was my proper introduction to nuGuns, was skeptical but heard a bootleg and was converted. My friends and I loved the leaks. Plus, Velvet Revolver hadn't sacked Scott yet so they were still active. Had tickets to see Guns at Wembley but couldn't make it in the end. Was completely gutted at the time. Even moreso now it seems 2006 will be a highpoint that won't be reached again. Man, it was great back then. Now we have no VR and nuGuns in its current embarrassing state.

Edited by BassistSeb

Over the coming weeks we'll be restoring many of the older threads so those interested can examine what forum life was like nearly a decade ago.

Sounds like you're curating a museum. :lol:

In a way, this place kind of represents an archive of GNR fandom between 2002 and present.

I wish there was a faster way to do this, but it requires an admin going through each and every thread to ensure it doesn't risk our revenue stream. Hence why it takes so long.

• Like 1

Over the coming weeks we'll be restoring many of the older threads so those interested can examine what forum life was like nearly a decade ago.

In a way, this place kind of represents an archive of GNR fandom between 2002 and present.

I wish there was a faster way to do this, but it requires an admin going through each and every thread to ensure it doesn't risk our revenue stream. Hence why it takes so long.

Why would a topic risk ruining your revenue stream?

Sort of off topic but I think it's a good question worth answering...

The big problem we faced at the end of 2014 was that our Google Adsense account had been suspended as a result of inappropriate content (mostly nipple and breasts pics). We'd eliminate the offending content but get flagged again for something that was posted years ago. This forum is so large that it's almost impossible to go through individual threads one by one. Google must have the technology where its bots can scan content and raise red flags, but we're all manual labour here. It's why we moved the Use Your Illusion section and most posts/threads from 2011 and back to a private section of the forum for a few months while we appealed our suspended status. We had to make the forum small enough content wise to make it realistic that we could restore our Adsense account in good standing (and Subs gave me until Jan 19th to get it done or this place likely would have folded). Google only cares about what's accessible by the public. So all of that stuff is still there, it just needs to be parsed and examined and cleaned up before we can bring it back to the public area. It's what I did when I restored many of the picture threads in the current Use Your Illusion section. If I were to simply move everything back now, we'd be at risk of having our Adsense account suspended again and as the new owner, that's something I'd want to avoid. This forum still costs me money to run, especially with the donation feature turned off, but at least the loss is manageable until we restore the Members Lounge that we're planning on introducing very soon.

And in case you're wondering, the forum is pretty safe from people attempting to bring it down. Even if someone were to post something that violated Adsense's content policies and than ran to Google to make a complaint, we'd still have plenty of time to remove it before our account gets suspended. Google generally give you several days to deal with violating content before taking action. So most threats you read out there with respect to taking this forum down through its Adsense account are made out of ignorance.

Sort of off topic but I think it's a good question worth answering...

The big problem we faced at the end of 2014 was that our Google Adsense account had been suspended as a result of inappropriate content (mostly nipple and breasts pics). We'd eliminate the offending content but get flagged again for something that was posted years ago. This forum is so large that it's almost impossible to go through individual threads one by one. Google must have the technology where its bots can scan content and raise red flags, but we're all manual labour here. It's why we moved the Use Your Illusion section and most posts/threads from 2011 and back to a private section of the forum for a few months while we appealed our suspended status. We had to make the forum small enough content wise to make it realistic that we could restore our Adsense account in good standing (and Subs gave me until Jan 19th to get it done or this place likely would have folded). Google only cares about what's accessible by the public. So all of that stuff is still there, it just needs to be parsed and examined and cleaned up before we can bring it back to the public area. It's what I did when I restored many of the picture threads in the current Use Your Illusion section. If I were to simply move everything back now, we'd be at risk of having our Adsense account suspended again and as the new owner, that's something I'd want to avoid. This forum still costs me money to run, especially with the donation feature turned off, but at least the loss is manageable until we restore the Members Lounge that we're planning on introducing very soon.

And in case you're wondering, the forum is pretty safe from people attempting to bring it down. Even if someone were to post something that violated Adsense's content policies and than ran to Google to make a complaint, we'd still have plenty of time to remove it before our account gets suspended. Google generally give you several days to deal with violating content before taking action. So most threats you read out there with respect to taking this forum down through its Adsense account are made out of ignorance.

Nice explanations, thanks.

Sort of sad that anybody would want to take down a rock forum. We are all fans of the same band. There should be a rivalry between forums, but not hatred.

back when axl looked like he cared

And more importantly, acted like he cared.

absolutely...

what a fantastic period for a "download motherf***er" :D

lots of energy, lots of stuff, lots of hopes... crazy times down here

Edited by WAR™

I only lurked in 2006 but was on some other boards as well. People were either excited as hell, or bashed everything (Axl's look, voice, setlist,especially Robin and Bumble). The forums were a lot more active though, the communities in general were better back then with just more going on.

For me, the best thing about 06 was Better leaking. Oddly enough I didn't really get the hype about TWAT until the antiquiet leaks (which is still the best version of that song). I played the hell out of that until I got bootlegs of RAR, Nova Rock, and eventually the last LA show, I remember those being the 3 I listened to the most (still listen to RAR a lot actually). Watched the KROQ show quite a few times too.

At the time I thought the album would be out pretty soon, either that or enough songs would leak that I'd essentially have the album - it felt like things were either leaking or "going to leak soon" all the time :lol:

I remember the forum was very positive. I was a lurker back then.

Not sure if positive is the right word. HTGTH and Chinese Democracy were positive. Mygnr has always been the most negative GNR forum out there. Not that it's a bad thing though.

Only so far as it allows critical opinions, which is the primary reason why this forum grew and maintained versus many of the other boards.

Fans get disappointed; it's an eventuality that can't be avoided. Whether it's GNR, a sports team, or even a loved one, disappointment will always pop up in matters of devotion. It's the flip side of the fandom coin.

The question is whether a forum allows for such disappointment to be voiced and hence exercised or whether it doesn't. For many, remaining a GNR fan has been predicated on working out feelings of disappointment. I myself was extremely disappointed over Axl's response to the band's induction into the Hall of Fame. Thankfully this forum existed where myself and other disappointed fans could share in our frustrations. It helped me move past it. Had this platform note existed, who is to say I wouldn't have written off Axl or the band?

• Like 1