What are you currently playing? Last game played?

On 5/15/2020 at 6:13 PM, James Bond said:

I loved the atmosphere of the second one and the challenge tombs were more engaging, but I thought the story lacked any real hook which is where the first had its greatest strength. Still worth playing though. I've enjoyed the trilogy.

I ended up buying Rise of the Tomb Raider for around $12 (I think).  Shadow was also on sale but wasn't going to spend over $20 on it since it will likely be cheaper by the time I get through a huge backlog of games I hope some day to play.

After giving up on RE2, I'm currently trying out Metal Gear Solid 5.  Only a few missions in.  It's alright so far but perhaps a bit too complicated for someone who doesn't have much time or patience to play these kinds of games.  I'm also completely lost when it comes to the storyline since I haven't played a MGS game since the original back on PS1.  

There are some great deals on games so I picked up a few in the hopes that I have time down the road to play.  That includes Witcher 3 (Game of the Year addition) for $20 and A Way Out for $9.  

I'm also tempted to pick up both South Park games.  They're on sale for $30 for both.  

45 minutes ago, downzy said:

I ended up buying Rise of the Tomb Raider for around $12 (I think).  Shadow was also on sale but wasn't going to spend over $20 on it since it will likely be cheaper by the time I get through a huge backlog of games I hope some day to play.

After giving up on RE2, I'm currently trying out Metal Gear Solid 5.  Only a few missions in.  It's alright so far but perhaps a bit too complicated for someone who doesn't have much time or patience to play these kinds of games.  I'm also completely lost when it comes to the storyline since I haven't played a MGS game since the original back on PS1.  

There are some great deals on games so I picked up a few in the hopes that I have time down the road to play.  That includes Witcher 3 (Game of the Year addition) for $20 and A Way Out for $9.  

I'm also tempted to pick up both South Park games.  They're on sale for $30 for both.  

You cheap bastard! You must be rolling in it what with all these club members and wotnot! :lol::P 

* The South Park games are both brilliant btw and Metal Gear Solid 5 is wank. I’ve also only played the original MGS all the way through and the rest have all bored the arse off me. 

Edited by Dazey

26 minutes ago, Dazey said:

You cheap bastard! You must be rolling in it what with all these club members and wotnot!

I wish!  I could have purchased many PS4s and Switches over the years with the money spent on forum hosting. 

27 minutes ago, Dazey said:

* The South Park games are both brilliant btw and Metal Gear Solid 5 is wank. I’ve also only played the original MGS all the way through and the rest have all bored the arse off me. 

Yeah, this is the feeling I’m getting with MGS:5. The whole story seems really silly and I’m not patient (and likely clever) enough to stealth my way through the missions. So far most missions involve me in massive shootouts until I run away before i die. Good times. 

Alright, I’m going to pick up the South Park games. If they suck you owe me $30. :devilshades:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, downzy said:

Alright, I’m going to pick up the South Park games. If they suck you owe me $30. :devilshades:

They really are great if you like RPGs and South Park. I mean they're not like Skyrim levels of depth or anything but they nail the whole feel of South Park so well that I was laughing my arse off all the way through. 

4 hours ago, Dazey said:

They really are great if you like RPGs and South Park. I mean they're not like Skyrim levels of depth or anything but they nail the whole feel of South Park so well that I was laughing my arse off all the way through. 

I have zero experience with RPGs outside of Zelda games so the RPG lite aspect of the games is appealing. 

Figured I should start with Stick of Truth first but I’m kind of excited to play Fractured But Whole just because of the name.  

I let my son move my Xbox One X to his room a few weeks ago. I was planning on brining it out to the living room every so often to play games, but I haven't thought twice about it since it's been in there. 

I can't think of anything that's out that I really want to play. Are there any good / fun, newer platformers out? 

54 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I let my son move my Xbox One X to his room a few weeks ago. I was planning on brining it out to the living room every so often to play games, but I haven't thought twice about it since it's been in there. 

I can't think of anything that's out that I really want to play. Are there any good / fun, newer platformers out? 

I really enjoyed this one. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Heard of it but never got around to playing it. 

It's one of the coolest games from an aesthetic standpoint.  Everything was animated by hand and it has a 1930s vibe.

It is probably one of the hardest games I've ever played.  But it's also very satisfying when you finally do beat a boss.  

Since you're into retro arcade games from the 1980s and 1990s, Cuphead could be something you would really enjoy.  

• Like 1

On 1-6-2020 at 1:42 AM, RussTCB said:

my main platform is the switch (thanks to portability), but I consider my Xbox one X when I like to enjoy something truly exceptional. Or when I have the house to myself and I can sit back enjoy the full extent of this console. as the list of essential games kept getting longer and longer, I couldn't justify skipping over this:

- RDR2

- rare replay

- halo MCC

- RE7

- RE2 remake

- blair witch

- metal gear solid 5

- F1 2017

so as you see, my library isn't that large, but one by one they are exceptional experiences, in glorious 4K when you have the right TV.

I like to play RE7 at night for example. if I have the guts. this game truly freaks me out when it's dark and I'm alone.

Started a fresh playthrough in RDR 2 a few weeks ago. Kinda rushed through to finish the story the first time around, so I've really been taking my time just roaming around doing side stuff the whole time. Probably invested like 30-35 hours or so, and I'm still on Chapter 2.

Such an amazing game with incredible depth. I can't believe the amount of stuff I'm picking up on this time that I missed in my first playthrough.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, Gunner927 said:

Started a fresh playthrough in RDR 2 a few weeks ago. Kinda rushed through to finish the story the first time around, so I've really been taking my time just roaming around doing side stuff the whole time. Probably invested like 30-35 hours or so, and I'm still on Chapter 2.

Such an amazing game with incredible depth. I can't believe the amount of stuff I'm picking up on this time that I missed in my first playthrough.

If you're interested in achieving 100 percent, start knocking off some of the challenges as you go through the story mode.  

Also, take the time in Guarma to spot and kill every species of animal.  I'm kind of pissed I didn't do that when I played it through as I thought there would be an opportunity to go back.  The only animals I haven't crossed off the list are those in Guarma.  It's the only thing left for me to complete in RDR2. 

2 hours ago, downzy said:

If you're interested in achieving 100 percent, start knocking off some of the challenges as you go through the story mode.  

Also, take the time in Guarma to spot and kill every species of animal.  I'm kind of pissed I didn't do that when I played it through as I thought there would be an opportunity to go back.  The only animals I haven't crossed off the list are those in Guarma.  It's the only thing left for me to complete in RDR2. 

You can technically get back to Guarma with a glitch post-game, but I thought the Guarma stuff didn't count for 100% completion? I think it was more for the completist wishing to fill the compendium.

Once I'm caught up on my other games on the go I plan on doing another playthrough and taking my time even more.

16 hours ago, James Bond said:

You can technically get back to Guarma with a glitch post-game, but I thought the Guarma stuff didn't count for 100% completion? I think it was more for the completist wishing to fill the compendium.

Once I'm caught up on my other games on the go I plan on doing another playthrough and taking my time even more.

You’re right. It’s not needed for 100 percent completion. 

But it feels unsatisfying to not have the animal compendium unfinished after reaching the 100 percent. 

I did see the Guarma glitch, but I just can’t be bothered to waste an hour basting buttons just to complete the compendium. I just turned 40 and don’t want to risk arthritis 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, downzy said:

You’re right. It’s not needed for 100 percent completion. 

But it feels unsatisfying to not have the animal compendium unfinished after reaching the 100 percent. 

I did see the Guarma glitch, but I just can’t be bothered to waste an hour basting buttons just to complete the compendium. I just turned 40 and don’t want to risk arthritis 😀

Turbo controller? ;)

Very fair though. All the more reason to do a second playthrough! I'm only at 80% but I might save the 100% run for next time instead of trying to catch back up.

Games I recently completed (all on PC):

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - Nice Standalone expansion to The New Order, but I've been spoiled by DOOM Eternal's fast-paced combat.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut - Really liked this.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Deluxe Edition - Absolutely loved this, can't believe it was so derided upon its release, the DLC is fantastic as well.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - The first half is a bit of a slog and it has "DOOM 2016 Syndrome" where it's obvious it had a split development and thus split personality in its final form. It'd be fantastic to have a DOOM Eternal style sequel where they focus on fast-paced combat, but the second half of this entry is already a ton of fun.

Heavy Rain - The dialogue is absolutely awful, and the story ludicrous. Hats off to David Cage though for somehow getting a ton of money for his awful scripts.

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time - Classic 3D platformer, I miss these kind of games where it isn't just "hold forward on the analogue stick" to climb and jump etc.

What Remains of Edith Finch - More of an interactive experience than a "game", but wow is it transcendental. Just over two hours but absolutely beautiful, would definitely recommend.

Journey - Another transcendental two hour experience, especially when another player drops in your session.

Currently playing:

Beyond: Two Souls - Another David Cage game, dialogue isn't quite as bad as Heavy Rain and it's fun playing as the spirit, but I still couldn't recommend this.

D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die - Total madness from Japanese auteur Swery, creator of Deadly Premonition. Batshit insane, simple and fun.

Yakuza Kiwami - Yakuza 0 is one of my favourite games but this one isn't quite grabbing me in the same way, still decent.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Amir said:

Games I recently completed (all on PC):

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - Nice Standalone expansion to The New Order, but I've been spoiled by DOOM Eternal's fast-paced combat.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut - Really liked this.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Deluxe Edition - Absolutely loved this, can't believe it was so derided upon its release, the DLC is fantastic as well.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - The first half is a bit of a slog and it has "DOOM 2016 Syndrome" where it's obvious it had a split development and thus split personality in its final form. It'd be fantastic to have a DOOM Eternal style sequel where they focus on fast-paced combat, but the second half of this entry is already a ton of fun.

Heavy Rain - The dialogue is absolutely awful, and the story ludicrous. Hats off to David Cage though for somehow getting a ton of money for his awful scripts.

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time - Classic 3D platformer, I miss these kind of games where it isn't just "hold forward on the analogue stick" to climb and jump etc.

What Remains of Edith Finch - More of an interactive experience than a "game", but wow is it transcendental. Just over two hours but absolutely beautiful, would definitely recommend.

Journey - Another transcendental two hour experience, especially when another player drops in your session.

Currently playing:

Beyond: Two Souls - Another David Cage game, dialogue isn't quite as bad as Heavy Rain and it's fun playing as the spirit, but I still couldn't recommend this.

D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die - Total madness from Japanese auteur Swery, creator of Deadly Premonition. Batshit insane, simple and fun.

Yakuza Kiwami - Yakuza 0 is one of my favourite games but this one isn't quite grabbing me in the same way, still decent.

Edith Finch blew my mind. Probably the best walking simulator type of game I've ever played. One of the best games in general. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2020 at 8:15 AM, Amir said:

Currently playing:

Completed these three. Beyond Two Souls wasn't bad in the end, still not sure I'd recommend it but the facial textures are really impressive for what was a PS3 game.

D4 was what one would expect from a Swery game: quirky Japanese view on Western tropes. Sadly the story ends on a cliffhanger and is unfinished, but if you pick it up cheap (I paid less than £3) it's a fun few hours of zany Swery shenanigans.

Yakuza Kiwami is a good game but one is reminded often while playing how truly great Yakuza 0 was. Still, the substories are entertaining and I played the vast majority of them.

Currently playing Yakuza Kiwami 2, this game is really pushing my 3-year-old secondhand laptop to the limit, 40-60fps at 1080p High. Nice to be able to play Virtua Fighter 2 and Virtual-On on PC thanks to this game including them in the virtual arcade :thumbsup:

I got Assassin's Creed Unity a while back for free (ended up with four Assassin's Creed games for free through Uplay and the Epic Games Store) and I'm playing it in French as I need to improve my French for my current job. The acting and graphics etc. are impressive and I like the French Revolution setting but I don't really "get" the gameplay in these games. It feels like all the climbing, jumping, etc. is achieving by holding down the R trigger and occasionally pressing A. Combat similarly seems to lack challenge with the generous counter system. I usually suck at counters/parrying in games but enemy attacks are so telegraphed that you'd be blind to miss them.

Star Wars Battlefront II

I beat the solo campaign when it first came out two and a half years ago but never attempted the multiplayer.

Apparently the game saw a big overhaul in certain areas and people now claim it's much better than it was a launch.  

My 11 year old nephew wanted to play together and this was the only game we both had in common.

It's really cool to play some of the environments from the movies, particularly the tropical planet from Rogue One.  

That said, I'm just utter shit at FPS or battle royal games.  I usually last anywhere from 10-20 seconds before someone takes me out, resulting in me ending up near the bottom of the list for accomplishments and points after the game is done.  Not sure if it's possible for me to get better.  Not sure this something I'd want to get better at regardless.  

Fun game but not sure I'll play it much longer since it's usually just me dying 50 times in a game.  

11 minutes ago, downzy said:

Star Wars Battlefront II

I beat the solo campaign when it first came out two and a half years ago but never attempted the multiplayer.

Apparently the game saw a big overhaul in certain areas and people now claim it's much better than it was a launch.  

My 11 year old nephew wanted to play together and this was the only game we both had in common.

It's really cool to play some of the environments from the movies, particularly the tropical planet from Rogue One.  

That said, I'm just utter shit at FPS or battle royal games.  I usually last anywhere from 10-20 seconds before someone takes me out, resulting in me ending up near the bottom of the list for accomplishments and points after the game is done.  Not sure if it's possible for me to get better.  Not sure this something I'd want to get better at regardless.  

Fun game but not sure I'll play it much longer since it's usually just me dying 50 times in a game.  

I had a brief dalliance with Call of Duty: World at War years ago on the XBox 360 and there’s just no point in playing these games unless you can put 6-8 hours a day into practice. I managed to to get decent at it but just came to the conclusion that it wasn’t worth the time. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I had a brief dalliance with Call of Duty: World at War years ago on the XBox 360 and there’s just no point in playing these games unless you can put 6-8 hours a day into practice. I managed to to get decent at it but just came to the conclusion that it wasn’t worth the time. 

Yeah, I have buddies who play COD all day, everyday like it’s their jobs (they somehow get a paycheque for doing almost next to nothing). I honestly don’t get it. To each their own but there’s much more I would prefer to do with my limited time.