DJ Ashba quits Guns N' Roses

Didn't hate the guy as much as most of you, but I'm glad he's gone. Hope it lights a fire under Axl's ass.

At least he handled his departure with class (something he seems to lack in most aspects of his public life) and hand-wrote a rather touching letter where he was upfront with fans about his decision. A certain other lead guitarist who left recently should take a fuckin' clue (unless the rumors are true that he legally can't).

Anyway, here's what I hope happens:

A) Classic line-up reunion, though I understand that this is the least-likely option so I ain't holding my breath.

B) Get Robin or Bumble or both back (not Bucket, I like him better on his own), and maybe Brain. Whether they still do new music or just revisit the unused ChiDem material is up to them. Don't really care what they use, it's all the same to me if I've never heard it before.

C) Axl lets GN'R go and retires, thus making him even more similar to George Lucas than before.

If he just replaces Ashba and Bumble I'm gone. I know I've said that before but I seriously don't think I can keep track more fuckin' replacements

Edited by rocknroll41

But, could you imagine how good some of slash's songs would be if axl were singing on them? Original gnr was never broken music wise, so why replace them.

Yeah I would like Axl to sing on Ghost, Crucify the dead, You're A lie, they have a very GNR sound to them and Slash's bandmates are very talented and their style of playing is amazing.

Wonder how Axl would have felt in 1982 when he was a complete write off in Indiana if someone told him: "One day, you'll have the opportunity to pick up the phone, and put together one of the biggest bands of all time, thrilling millions of fans all over the planet, making 100 million dollars, and playing original songs that you wrote with them". I wonder what he would have said then instead of waging a "war" which he's clearly lost by all metrics (album sales, popularity, reputation, media coverage, concert attendance). Can't believe the positions of power some people are in (Robert Plant, Axl Rose, Ritchie Blackmore) - having the ability to almost single handedly save a dying rock n roll scene instead of sitting around twiddling their fingers. Is it really THAT HARD? Are you really giving up artistic integrity when all you've done is replace every single member of the original band playing 90% old music? Is that what it's really about? Because it seems to me when you're deleting people from merchandise, suing over song releases, erasing memories from the past, desperately clinging on to an old band name there's a hell of a lot more to your issues than just "taking my time because it's art and nobody deserves anything".

Laughingstock, and very irritating when GNR were the biggest band of the last 30 years...easily had the potential to match or even surpass the Stones.

• Like 1

But, could you imagine how good some of slash's songs would be if axl were singing on them? Original gnr was never broken music wise, so why replace them.

Yeah I would like Axl to sing on Ghost, Crucify the dead, You're A lie, they have a very GNR sound to them and Slash's bandmates are very talented and their style of playing is amazing.
or Anastasia or beneath the savage sun.

Yeah Anastasia is a good choice, Even Gotten would sound good, but with his voice now, it won't be that good, his voice in Patience would suit Gotten

not to say slash could save gnr, Izzy helped with a ton of writing. But why, at this point, not give them a shot rather than replace them yet again.

Yeah Anastasia is a good choice, Even Gotten would sound good, but with his voice now, it won't be that good, his voice in Patience would suit Gotten

not to say slash could save gnr, Izzy helped with a ton of writing. But why, at this point, not give them a shot rather than replace them yet again.

agreed, but in the studio at least he could make his voice great one last time.

1. maybe Axl wanted him out?

1. and what if it was actually AXL that wanted Ashba out? Say, for whatever reason. Axl was dissapointed in the long run.

Axl doesn't have to always be the one that people run away from.

2. NO TO REUNION

I still say - AFD Reunion would be the BIGGEST, the most fake and the most bogus dissapointment in the history of rock n roll.

It's no secret in today's AFD squad nobody likes nobody . I can't really see them onstage "being into it" ('cept Adler)

AFD Reunion 2015 would be a LOT more phony than GNR 2.0

A LOT

3. Axl's still on top of things

a lotta sunday rockers despise what Axl did with GNR, but I dig the hell out of it.

It's Axl's way or the highway. You try live your life this way, with your bank loans, shotgun weddings, bosses and what nots.

4. No spring chicken

I really believe the reunion would destroy the fond memories, like sleeping with your ex when you're both 50 and realizing she her ass ain't 20 no mo and it's best to spank the monkey watching them old photos.

5. Bring back Bucket and let's do this thang

• Like 1

1. and what if it was actually AXL that wanted Ashba out? Say, for whatever reason. Axl was dissapointed in the long run.

2. NO TO REUNION

I still say - AFD Reunion would be the BIGGEST, the most fake and the most bogus dissapointment in the history of rock n roll.

It's no secret in today's AFD squad nobody likes nobody . I can't really see them onstage "being into it" ('cept Adler)

A LOT

a lotta sunday rockers despise what Axl did with GNR, but I dig the hell out of it.

It's Axl's way or the highway. You try live your life this way, with your bank loans, shotgun weddings, bosses and what nots.

4. No spring chicken

I really believe the reunion would destroy the fond memories, like sleeping with your ex when you're both 50 and realizing she her ass ain't 20 no mo and it's best to spank the monkey watching them old photos.

how can you say nobody would be into a reunion when slash,Duff, and Steven are saying they would do it for the right reasons, and we the fans are exactly that.

Reunion would be a disaster since the music Slash records now days is mediocre at best. A reunion is more endless touring, a new album that will take years to create if it ever comes out, or Slash fucking with the music already recorded for CD II.

Slash's music wouldn't be the reason for a reunion being a disaster. Axl would fuck it up. Oh and Chinese Democracy is way worse than Slash's songs.

CD is at least creative, something Slash hasn't been in decades. Axl still has potential to put out something great, Slash doesn't.

No its not creative. It's a bunch of pop songs with shredding and layers of stupid noise. Slash's music is not my cup of tea but at least he's not pretentious.

I meant creative in that Axl was trying new approaches. Slash writes the same damn song again and again. I would rather he be pretentious than to put no effort in at all.

Exactly. Rock n roll is about staying true to your own vision no matter what anyone says. Whether you like ChiDem or not it's Axl and his vision warts and all and that's why I love him. He's one of the last few rock guys out there willing to do it his way and not be swayed by corporate bullshit rock songs. I don't like a lot of Robert Plant's new music but he's doing the music he likes and i respect that. Be yourself. Janis joplin didn't always sing pretty but she sang the way she felt. I feel her and Axl are alike. They're raw and real and so often misunderstood. They don't play it safe in their music. Slash is still a great performer but his songs in my opinion lack the depth and meaning of Axl's on Chidem.

• Like 1

2. NO TO REUNION

A LOT

4. No spring chicken

how can you say nobody would be into a reunion when slash,Duff, and Steven are saying they would do it for the right reasons, and we the fans are exactly that.

I see no difference in Ashba joinin GNR for the check and leaving today and AFD reunion

besides, just realize the two scenarios

1. the band hates each other offstage and pretends on stage to be friends (OLD GNR never did that)

2. the band hates each other on and off the stage (cliques - Steven vs Duff + Slash vs Axl, and no where's Izzy)

there is no other way

2. NO TO REUNION

A LOT

4. No spring chicken

Honestly, I think a reunion would be fine. Axl's voice isn't great, but if he got into a bit better shape and got a vocal coach it would be fine. He always blows the big gigs. That isn't accpetable, but the Golden Gods and Bridge School aren't representative of every show. Slash's playing is superb still, Duff is always solid, Izzy shows us he can play, and Matt could play. I also saw Steven at the HOF and he was great.

They don't have to love each other, they just have to get onstage and play the music they played together.

They don't have to love each other, they just have to get onstage and play the music they played together.

But Axl doesn't want to play with Slash. He's not interested in getting up on stage and do anything with Slash, so why would he do that? especially if he thinks it has the potential to damage whatever he's trying to accomplish with new Guns.

But Axl doesn't want to play with Slash. He's not interested in getting up on stage and do anything with Slash, so why would he do that? especially if he thinks it has the potential to damage whatever he's trying to accomplish with new Guns.

Is that even possible right now? Axl could do a duet with Cliff Richard right now and his stock could not plummet lower.

It was brought up that rock n' roll is all about truth and all that and being "fake" on stage and cliques would form in a reunion.

Well, I have news for all of you, NuGNR clearly weren't all that fond of one another and there were defnitely cliques. Ron said he didn't get along with some people, Tommy seemed unhappy and didn't get along with Bucket, etc. What a mess!

Makes you wonder. When DJ said he'd be busy with 6am for a couple of years, I figured something was up. First BBF, now DJ. I hope Axl's ok and I'm hoping to see him perform again someday. No matter who he's onstage with...