DJ Ashba quits Guns N' Roses

Thing is, if GNR really is dead/not planning on doing anything, why would DJ quit? He could keep milking the name/fame to promote Sixx:AM and his other ventures without actually having to do anything for GNR.

• Like 2

i think there's a few things to sort out (mainly Slash) but then we'll have a line up like this: Axl, Slash, 4tus, Duff, Steven/Matt and Dizzy

Fortus is a talented person, but well the lineup you just wrote is basically a reunion, so I would rather see Gilby or Izzy than Fortus.

According to 4tus he's been told the band is working next year.. maybe it will change i dunno. I don't think he'd ever play with Slash though unless Axl was onboard. I think Izzy will return as a writer if any of this goes ahead with whoever handling Rhythm live.

But yeh right now i think we're closer to a reunion than ever before. We'll never know unless GNR make a statement now that essentially the whole band has either left or is on an indefinite hiatus.

Thing is, if GNR really is dead/not planning on doing anything, why would DJ quit? He could keep milking the name/fame to promote Sixx:AM and his other ventures without actually having to do anything for GNR.

I'm thinking there is no tour in the near future and Axl is focusing on old material, finishing touches if you will. So what is there for DJ? after 6 years he has toured a bunch of times with Guns.

I think it's important for him to create and he probably honestly believed he could write and release an album that mainly consisted of fresh material with Axl and also get to tour and make money and all those great things you get to do when you join a real band.

But I didn't think he'd leave. I thought the money and the fame will keep him in Guns for a long long time.

Edited by Rovim

I'm thinking there is no tour in the near future and Axl is focusing on old material, finishing touches if you will. So what is there for DJ? after 6 years he has toured a bunch of times with Guns.

I think it's important for him to create and he probably honestly believed he could write and release an album that mainly consisted of fresh material with Axl and also get to tour and make money and all those great things you get to do when you join a real band.

But I didn't think he'd leave. I thought the money and the fame will keep him in Guns for a long long time.

Maybe Axl said no to DJ's demos and/or to him playing on ChiDem sessions?

• Like 1

I have a feeling that he actually got fed up, he has been waiting since a long time to actually go in the studio with "GNR" and actually record something, but well that din't happen, then I assume he would have recorded some parts and send them to Axl and he would have got no response, I guess his contract got over and he went in the studio with Sixx Am, he din't wanted to renew the contract cause what if he is touring with Sixx Am or working in the studio with Sixx Am and then he would get a call from TB that there is a tour, something similar which happend with Ron.

I guess he thought that in terms of music he see's no future with Axl's band, he would have earned a good amount of money in the past 6 years while on tour, so I guess that was enough for him.

I hope DJ told Axl in person about his decision to quit GNR. It's the least he could do and thank him for being in one of the greatest rock bands of all time.

Now would be the time for Axl to think seriously about a reunion or releasing new music and get a new band together.

If Axl doesn't do either of those, he should just retire or carry on as Axl Rose and not GNR. After Bumblefoot and now DJ quitting and Axl not making any statements about either band member, then this proves that this guys were just a backup band for Axl Rose.

Sorry to see DJ go. I liked him and I thought he was awesome in GNR. Well, he's with SIXX AM now and I'm sure he's happy.

The only bad thing is that Guns now have 1 official guy out of the band and 1 guy who is pretty much gone... this is my favourite band regardless of all the shit they put us through, and I really don't want them to disappear.

I don't blame any member of GnR for jumping ship, because It can't be easy being in a band that you have no say, and no idea as to what the grand plan is. Axl kinda blew it. By all means create mystique by not doing interviews etc. but if you don't release music or even talk to your band about putting out music you basically kill what you're trying to build.

Nobody in Guns is irreplaceable barr Axl, but I think Dj's departure is gonna sting Axl and I wouldn't be so sure we'll see him again. And that fucking sucks. Maybe, this pushes him to do something and make the next years of his career something to be proud of but maybe he keeps doing what he's been doing and just lets his career slip away from him. And maybe he puts out the olive branch to Bumble and makes things right so that they can continue to work together.

I've said it a million times, he needs a firm no bullshit manager, someone to help him run the ship and someone that will say when things need to be done regardless of pissing him off or not.

I'm happy that Dj is gone, because I found his playing to be sloppy, and without any trace of a signature sound. I also thought he over-did it with his "I love you guys" tweets and just about everything else. I think he shouldn't have got the gig in the first place and he is much, much, much easier to replace than Bumblefoot.

The dream scenario for most is that The band folds and Axl agrees to work with the old line up or at least the key members of the old line up. I personally would like to see that, but I'm actually really interested in hearing what the current band could do, or could have done and let's not forgot the endless recordings for CD II.

Great news mixed with possibly terrible news.

So what happens now? If nothing is happening for a year...wtf are we supposed to do?

You are the one who said that the album will be out within 6 to 12 months, where is my gift?
I was hoping dude! That doesn't guarantee you a warm shower with me lol.

I hope DJ told Axl in person about his decision to quit GNR. It's the least he could do and thank him for being in one of the greatest rock bands of all time.

Now would be the time for Axl to think seriously about a reunion or releasing new music and get a new band together.

If Axl doesn't do either of those, he should just retire or carry on as Axl Rose and not GNR. After Bumblefoot and now DJ quitting and Axl not making any statements about either band member, then this proves that this guys were just a backup band for Axl Rose.

Sorry to see DJ go. I liked him and I thought he was awesome in GNR. Well, he's with SIXX AM now and I'm sure he's happy.

I don't think so Ashba went to Axl's place cause Ashba is going to columbia and he lives in Vegas, basically he is going to different places with his wife, he tweets every shit lol

So I guess all of the things went to the "Management" through emails and Im sure he would have called Axl on the phone. If he goes to LA then im sure he would meet Axl too unless he is not allowed inside and then later on we would hear that Ashba said that Nikki Sixx is a fraud and James Michael is spineless and Axl has won the war against Vince Neil.

Maybe Axl said no to DJ's demos and/or to him playing on ChiDem sessions?

It's likely. Even if Dj didn't feel he was gonna play a large enough of a role creatively. DJ did hint in his letter he is free to create in Sixx: AM.

When you have all the control over a band, it leaves less space for everyone else. Especially if even the musicians that inspire Axl the most post Slash like Bucket and Robin, were powerless when it came to the way they created in Guns. The process is important for a professional musician, especially if they're already in demand and don't have to do it just for the money.

Even if Axl really liked Dj's demos, it doesn't mean that will be a main part of a Guns album when even finished album that are more then 10 years old remain unreleased.

I think Dj finally lost hope for leaving his mark on Guns, like he wanted to. 6 years is perfectly reasonable so I can't blame him.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

What was with bumblefoots tweet about DJ leaving? He said good luck to them and its been an incredible six years, is that just a dig at Dj? Surely Ron is still in the band?

Its not a dig at DJ, by them he means GNR and its band members, he is clearly out of the band and has no contact with them, but he remembers those times he played with them and they have respect for each other, so thats why he said incredible six years just out of respect.

#RESPECTHEASHBA

What was with bumblefoots tweet about DJ leaving? He said good luck to them and its been an incredible six years, is that just a dig at Dj? Surely Ron is still in the band?

Its not a dig at DJ, by them he means GNR and its band members, he is clearly out of the band and has no contact with them, but he remembers those times he played with them and they have respect for each other, so thats why he said incredible six years just out of respect.

#RESPECTHEASHBA

But surely he would have said what a great 9 years or however long Ron has been with GNR? If Ron is actually out then surely it just means Axl has a blank slate with solid rhythm, drums and bass? If thats the case then he could get anyone to playw ith them for the lead and 2nd lead (whatever the fuck that is)

What if the next person is worse than DJ? Will we all beg for DJ to return?

This is what Im scared about, I know people will say anyone is better than DJ, but what if someone worse comes and totally fucks everything up?

My guess is with Sixx: AM being more than just a side project after Crue call it quits at the end of the year he had to pick between them and GN'R and IMO he made the right choice. With Sixx: AM he gets to write and play his own music and make more of a name for himself. Plus I imagine Sixx: AM will only get bigger whilst it seems GN'R are getting to be less of a draw as time goes on.

This band seem to be dead in the water. As for Fortus' comments, that's been his token response for ages - I wouldn't read too much into it.

I wasn't DJ's biggest fan but for the guy who's publicly been the most positive about things and who's been most supportive of Axl to quit speaks volume about the current state of things. The fact that Nikki's Motley spin-off is now a more attractive option than what even around ten years ago was one of the biggest bands around is pretty depressing. The positive thing is that this could mean a reunion is more likely but I wouldn't be surprised if Axl just does a Vegas residency once a year with yet another lineup of nuGuns.

everybody's like "YEAH REUNION!"

but honestly, i think it's more realistic this will only delay any potential activity from the band.

time will tell.

Sixx AM will never get any bigger than they are now.

what seems likely to me is that Ashba realized GN'R had no plans to tour in the near future and would rather be able to commit himself to Sixx AM without having to constantly field GN'R questions or feel obligated to be in the band.

it could be a bad sign that Axl literally has no plans for the near future.

Not a shock. He's far from the first guy to sign up, and bring all his energy into the shows. But eventually get fed up with the lack of writing and creation of original material. It's a bit cooler of him to be so straight up with everyone and announce it, than Bumblefoot with his tip toeing around the issue.

Edited by moreblack