DJ Ashba quits Guns N' Roses

Sixx AM will never get any bigger than they are now.

True. But now that I think about it, he probably gets a bigger piece of the money pie with Sixx, which probably equals about the same, if not more, than he gets with Axl. Plus his business ventures probably get the same amount of exposure. Oh, and the fact he can do more than cover with Sixx AM. All that considered, I'd say he made the right call jumping ship. I'm sure if the rest of the guys had these kind of alternatives, Axl would be one lonely number.

What if the next person is worse than DJ? Will we all beg for DJ to return?

This is what Im scared about, I know people will say anyone is better than DJ, but what if someone worse comes and totally fucks everything up?
It happened with robin... I like to make jokes about DJ but there ARE worse guitarists.

It won't but with Sixx Am he will at least have the freedom to record music and release his own music unlike in Axl's band.

Because it's easier to write generic rock songs for a band like Sixx AM and Axl probably didn't want that stuff for GnR.

Axl has a ton of material in the can according to DJ so why not release some of while he puts the next gen NuGuns back together?

Ashba said in a 2014 talk with Legendary Rock Interviews that the band had both recording and touring plans in 2015. He revealed, "We are planning on doing quite a bit of touring this coming year. The focus is getting in a studio and putting together what we all feel is the best GUNS N' ROSES record. Lack of material is not an issue. We have tons of stuff."

Ashba added: "Axl has two full albums that he has recorded. He has played me a bunch of songs off of that that are incredible! I can't wait to get in and kind of dive into those as well. I've written tons of songs and demoed up a bunch of stuff. I think it is just a matter of getting in and sifting through the piles of material."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/d-j-ashba-quits-guns-n-roses/#z7Jz5YT3tF4EZE4r.99

DUDE he said the same thing in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015.

True enough but it does not mean it is not true. Others in the band have also said Axl had stuff ready for release so why not put it out?;

They say that because they have to say that so they don't get fired. Doesn't make it true. Realize how they all leave, and its always the guys want to actually DO SOMETHING. If Axl had as much material as mythologized, and it was as good as they all say, they'd still be in the band and they'd be pushing hard for its release. The bottom line is he probably has a lot of unfinished songs that aren't amazing, and they just keep saying he has a ton to make it seem like he's still an artist, which he hasn't been in at least 10 years. He's now a nostalgia act, and it'd be nice if they just fucking admitted that already.

I am skeptical as well Goldie but they did not have to say anything about unreleased ChiDem leftovers as I am betting Axl would have preferred they say nothing. I also seem to remember non band members saying they heard unreleased material which they raved about.

If we learned anything from the ChiDem saga it is that "finished" is a relative term and unless Axle thinks the tracks are finished I doubt we will ever get to hear them as long as he is alive.

It won't but with Sixx Am he will at least have the freedom to record music and release his own music unlike in Axl's band.

Because it's easier to write generic rock songs for a band like Sixx AM and Axl probably didn't want that stuff for GnR.

Its not about that man, its about their musical freedom, Bucket is a talented guitarist, he left, Robin is talented and composed some awesome tunes in CD, but even he left, Ron is also out. People want their freedom, they want to make music, they want to work like a band, but it doesn't happens in GNR which is a sad thing.

Its not about that man, its about their musical freedom, Bucket is a talented guitarist, he left, Robin is talented and composed some awesome tunes in CD, but even he left, Ron is also out. People want their freedom, they want to make music, they want to work like a band, but it doesn't happens in GNR which is a sad thing.

Right, but what I'm saying is if DJ kept trying to give Axl stuff that sounds like it should be in Sixx AM and Axl kept rejecting it or saying he'd use it and wouldn't, DJ probably got tired of that. I totally get that and the musical freedom, but what I'm saying is that it's easier for his musical freedom to be expressed in a band like Sixx AM because people don't expect great things from that band.

• Like 1

For the first time I'm seriously questioning if Guns will continue. I used to mock everyone who said the band was finished... but I think there's a real possibility now. Now If Bumble is still in the band maybe there's still hope for the "new" band to continue. If they have in fact lost 2 gtr players I think it's over. It took the guts of 10 years to establish this line up and Guns don't have that kind of time on their hands anymore.

Get in the bloody studio and release the music you've already recorded and you get to keep your band somewhat in tact. Simple as that. Otherwise 1. retire 2. tail between your legs and accept a meeting with the old guys and mend some bridges.

Communicate with your band... these are simple straight forward things yet, Axl and his management don't do any of them, maybe because they don't understand how to run a band and they don't respect the roles the other band members play. It's not easy being hated for playing in Gnr, the least Axl can do for them is to make it enjoyable and fulfilling, release music and tour, while not doing either excessively.

And yes, we all know that it's easy to find a guitar player that can out play Dj, you'll find that gtr player in your local bar band... the problem is that he was the apple of Axl's eye for whatever reason.

And what exactly did Axl expect when he hired a guy who's done nothing but write shitty, poser "rock n fn roll!!!" tripe music his whole life? Did he think his presence would inspire DJ to suddenly write Mozart?

On a slight side note, I gotta wonder what Axl ever even saw in DJ in the first place. Was it just to make nu guns seem more commercially viable by having a guy that was in a moderately known rock band on board? Was it pure delusion that the guy wasn't as shit as everyone tried to tell him he was? One's gotta wonder...

• Like 1

Right, but what I'm saying is if DJ kept trying to give Axl stuff that sounds like it should be in Sixx AM and Axl kept rejecting it or saying he'd use it and wouldn't, DJ probably got tired of that. I totally get that and the musical freedom, but what I'm saying is that it's easier for his musical freedom to be expressed in a band like Sixx AM because people don't expect great things from that band.

Thats true, I guess the stuff which Robin and Bucket recorded was much more beter than what Ashba would have given to Axl.

And what exactly did Axl expect when he hired a guy who's done nothing but write shitty, poser "rock n fn roll!!!" tripe music his whole life? Did he think his presence would inspire DJ to suddenly write Mozart?

On a slight side note, I gotta wonder what Axl ever even saw in DJ in the first place. Was it just to make nu guns seem more commercially viable by having a guy that was in a moderately known rock band on board? Was it pure delusion that the guy wasn't as shit as everyone tried to tell him he was? One's gotta wonder...

It was probably with the hope he could bring out something interesting in Ashba as he had in Buckethead and Slash.

Axl has a ton of material in the can according to DJ so why not release some of while he puts the next gen NuGuns back together?

Ashba said in a 2014 talk with Legendary Rock Interviews that the band had both recording and touring plans in 2015. He revealed, "We are planning on doing quite a bit of touring this coming year. The focus is getting in a studio and putting together what we all feel is the best GUNS N' ROSES record. Lack of material is not an issue. We have tons of stuff."

Ashba added: "Axl has two full albums that he has recorded. He has played me a bunch of songs off of that that are incredible! I can't wait to get in and kind of dive into those as well. I've written tons of songs and demoed up a bunch of stuff. I think it is just a matter of getting in and sifting through the piles of material."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/d-j-ashba-quits-guns-n-roses/#z7Jz5YT3tF4EZE4r.99

True enough but it does not mean it is not true. Others in the band have also said Axl had stuff ready for release so why not put it out?;

They say that because they have to say that so they don't get fired. Doesn't make it true. Realize how they all leave, and its always the guys want to actually DO SOMETHING. If Axl had as much material as mythologized, and it was as good as they all say, they'd still be in the band and they'd be pushing hard for its release. The bottom line is he probably has a lot of unfinished songs that aren't amazing, and they just keep saying he has a ton to make it seem like he's still an artist, which he hasn't been in at least 10 years. He's now a nostalgia act, and it'd be nice if they just fucking admitted that already.

I am skeptical as well Goldie but they did not have to say anything about unreleased ChiDem leftovers as I am betting Axl would have preferred they say nothing. I also seem to remember non band members saying they heard unreleased material which they raved about.

If we learned anything from the ChiDem saga it is that "finished" is a relative term and unless Axle thinks the tracks are finished I doubt we will ever get to hear them as long as he is alive.

Brian May, 1999:

"Oh yeah, there's a whole album of vocal parts. In fact, there's two albums worth that they've got there, at least. They played me everything. Axl actually sat down and made me listen to everything (laughs) and there's some wonderful stuff there."

Robin, 2000 (this was during the period he was out of the band for the first time)

"We wrote and rehearsed and argued and laboriously recorded several records worth of musical material, which to the best of my knowledge Axl is still finishing. But my work was through. We had dozens of finished songs, as far as I was concerned, and we were waiting for Axl to complete the songs." (Robin, 2000)
  • Like 2

Brian May, 1999:

"Oh yeah, there's a whole album of vocal parts. In fact, there's two albums worth that they've got there, at least. They played me everything. Axl actually sat down and made me listen to everything (laughs) and there's some wonderful stuff there."

Robin, 2000 (this was during the period he was out of the band for the first time)

"We wrote and rehearsed and argued and laboriously recorded several records worth of musical material, which to the best of my knowledge Axl is still finishing. But my work was through. We had dozens of finished songs, as far as I was concerned, and we were waiting for Axl to complete the songs." (Robin, 2000)

Reading this stuff just makes me so sad as a lifetime fan of Axl Rose.

One album since he fought so hard to keep and control the GnR name.

So much music that he refuses to not share with his millions of fans.

Sad.

30 pages in 8 hours.... is this a MyGNR record?

You're relatively new around. This is nothing compared to like 5 years ago. There used to be pages upon pages of speculation about stuff like Bumblefoot doing a livestream and committing suicide, new tracks being leaked, not to mention actual show threads. Admittedly this is a pretty happening thread here, but this sort of traction used to be fairly normal around here. Not even close to a record. You shoulda been here in the old days man. Its sad (but understandable and telling) that it takes a band member leaving for this place to light up again. In a week it'll be back to being a wasteland as has been the norm recently.

I imagine the last few days went something like this:

DJ: So, those 3-4 songs of mine you said you really liked, when do you think they'll be put out?

Axl: After the 3rd Robin/Bucket era album, and the remixes. So they'll probably be the last thing I put out. But I'll be finished these other songs pretty soon.

DJ: ....oh.

*goes home and writes resignation letter*

Since 2012~ it seems like he's figured out he was just a touring guitarist anyway.

If Axl ever tours again, I hope he goes back to 2 guitar players, Fortus and whoever replaces Bumble if he's not there.

edit: I haven't read through 30 pages but how many times has the girl with the tattoo of DJ with the GNR bullet logo been posted? :lol:

Edited by Gordon Comstock

Depends on your definition of "best buddies". JMO but out of all the NuGnR musicians he seemed, on the surface, the closest with Ashba. It was Ashba that was with him during the infamous Trunk interview so I am thinking they were pretty friendly.

I doubt that between us we could put together a clue of who Axl considers a buddy in his private life, but as far as Guns goes, I've gotten the feeling that he has as much time for Tommy as anyone.

I remember reading rumors around the Vegas run of shows that Axl was retiring and this was the end of NuGNR, seems like that is defintly a real possibility now (Even tho there was a facebook post by GNR that said something to the effect of "Axl isnt going anywhere".

Bumble has quit, fortus says he hasnt heard anything and that its all "up in the air" and Ashba has now quit. The NuGNR as we know it is done.

Slash is already working on another album with the conspiritors and planning another tour so a reunion is out of the question for the next year or 2... I think Axl has finally called it a day. The Guns N Roses name dies with him...

Jarmo, who is tight with Axl, seems to think Axl's not done yet.