Slash comments on talking with Axl again - "It was probably way over due. It's very cool."

I cant believe some people seem to see this as something negative, or try to bring down the excitement of the rest.

Let me try to explain:

I don't think anyone considers it negative that Slash and Axl may become friends or friendly again. But, some might consider a reunion, in which Slash is back in GN'R, as negative because they don't like him much as a guitarist or fear that it would mean they won't get to hear unreleased material from the CD sessions. It really isn't rocket science. They just prefer other guitarists and/or other music than what he would bring to GN'R. Why anyone would get so whiny just because people don't like Slash, is beyond me.

As for bringing down the excitement, I think any cautionary posts mostly come from a place of trying to keep things a bit realistic around here, and to prevent people from being too disappointed if it turns out Axl & Slash aren't really that friendly and that Slash won't return to GN'R.

People rather have another dude playing guitar over Slash? The ultimate nonesense!!! That´s like saying you love The Rolling Stones but you don't want Keith Richards in the band.

I don't think there is anythign nonsensical about it, and your analogy would work better if The Rolling Stones had taken a long break and then released a guitar-heavy record with a new guitarist :shrugs: . THEN there would actually be possible for people to prefer someone else in Rolling Stones than Keith.

Is it the fact that someone doesn't share your PERSONAL subjective opinion of guitarists, or the fact that someone doesn't share the MAJORITY's view, that makes this so hard to get?

To prefer a new gnr guitarist over Slash is the same as preferring this,

Nope, for reasons explained to Padme, but thanks for taking the time to at least find some pictures to illustrate your point, no matter how flawed.

My analogy is fine because Jagger has also made solo albums. He has hired other people to work with him. However I never saw Rolling Stones fans asking him to get rid of Keith Richards because they want those other guys instead

I cant believe some people seem to see this as something negative, or try to bring down the excitement of the rest.

Let me try to explain:

I don't think anyone considers it negative that Slash and Axl may become friends or friendly again. But, some might consider a reunion, in which Slash is back in GN'R, as negative because they don't like him much as a guitarist or fear that it would mean they won't get to hear unreleased material from the CD sessions. It really isn't rocket science. They just prefer other guitarists and/or other music than what he would bring to GN'R. Why anyone would get so whiny just because people don't like Slash, is beyond me.

As for bringing down the excitement, I think any cautionary posts mostly come from a place of trying to keep things a bit realistic around here, and to prevent people from being too disappointed if it turns out Axl & Slash aren't really that friendly and that Slash won't return to GN'R.

People rather have another dude playing guitar over Slash? The ultimate nonesense!!! That´s like saying you love The Rolling Stones but you don't want Keith Richards in the band.

I don't think there is anythign nonsensical about it, and your analogy would work better if The Rolling Stones had taken a long break and then released a guitar-heavy record with a new guitarist :shrugs: . THEN there would actually be possible for people to prefer someone else in Rolling Stones than Keith.

Is it the fact that someone doesn't share your PERSONAL subjective opinion of guitarists, or the fact that someone doesn't share the MAJORITY's view, that makes this so hard to get?

Nope, for reasons explained to Padme, but thanks for taking the time to at least find some pictures to illustrate your point, no matter how flawed.

My analogy is fine because Jagger has also made solo albums. He has hired other people to work with him. However I never saw Rolling Stones fans asking him to get rid of Keith Richards because they want those other guys instead

That means they are happy with Keith. Obviously, not everyone is happy with Slash and since GN'R, in contrast to RS, have actually released and toured with many guitarists, playting the same music and also staking out a new musical direction, it is easier for people to make the comparison. Again, nothing nonsensical about having a different sibjective opinion on guitarists.

Also, 80% of the modern GN'R setlist consists of guitar parts and songs written and originally recorded by Slash. So to prefer a new guitarist is to prefer somebody who will be covering 80% of the time.

Yes. I am sure this also boggles your mind.

Let me try to explain:

If Axl had released 2 or 3 albums post Slash then I'd see how you could get into a debate of "i'd rather have Buckethead (for example) than Slash" but the fact is, we have only one album from Axl's version of GnR, and none of the guitarists who contributed to it have stuck around long enough to truly leave their mark (bucket and finck are closest, but have both been gone for a long time)

I appreciate that there are people who may prefer chinese democracy to the old albums, or even people who only discovered guns n roses because of chinese democracy. and that's fine, but in the majority of cases, people who like gnr like them because of the old songs and the guitarist on those songs is Slash, and the person most qualified to play them in Guns n Roses is Slash, and there really isnt a debate to be had in that respect (in my opinion)

I always see it as one of three things:

1. People around here know that GNR essentially died in 1995. We're here for fun.

2. People have so much trust in Axl that while they don't believe anything that's happened since 1995 matters, they have to promote it or else why have they continued being a fan. They are brainwashing themselves into thinking we're getting the best scenario.

3. They actually truly love what Axl has done since 1995. It just happens to be exactly what they want.

I think there are very very few people in that last category. #2 is what I think most are because it reflects the level of insanity people have gone to to defend this band. Rolling Stones without Keith Richards? Yeah, thats as impossible as GNR without Slash. Take the guitarists out of those bands and it isn't those bands. The difference is the Stones have never toured without Keith, so people can't really say what would happen if they did. Unfortunately GNR HAS toured without Slash and people have just gotten used to it long enough that they can say thats real GNR. People don't say these things till they happen. You would have never said AC/DC could continue without Bon till it happened. Anyone that gives a shit about Chinese Democracy in a Reunion thread is brainwashed by Axl and he has done his job. I'm glad that isn't everyone.

And I know. "What makes you right and the others wrong?! Maybe its the other way around dickwad!" Sorry, all the level headed fans know this is true.

Edited by gunsfanoldie

Where do we go now? I only mention it because we are no more clearer today than when news of this first broke. I hope to God it wasn't an attempt at humour or passive aggression in the actual interview because alienating an entire fan base for shits n giggles makes you a royal arse in my opinion. I only mention this because of the vibes in what that post said about Trunk reaching out to Slash for more info on what he said.

Not sure, on the trunk podcast eddie said slash ain't talking so...

When somebody says ''they prefer Chinese Democracy over Appetite'' or ''Robin Fink'' or some other tosser ''over Slash'', that says two things about them. Firstly, it says they are up Axl's bum: ''look at me, I am such a hardcore Axl supporter that I have chosen to prefer the new band in order to devalue Slash's contributions''. Secondly, they are saying ''look at me, I'm so bold, cool and different from everyone else''. On the second point, there are people who prefer the prequels over the original Star Wars trilogy or people who think St Anger is ''Metallica's best album''. Those people are rare but they exist because they are rare: they are smug in their obscurity.

Or just maybe I really do like CD better than Appetite? Regardless of all the crap you wrote?

• Like 2

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/flashback-guns-n-roses-play-final-show-before-mysterious-hiatus-20150827

True this- "...let's all hope that Axl somehow found it in his heart to overlook whatever he believes Slash did back in the 1990s and they are indeed friends again. We've had the new Guns N' Roses for quite a few years now. We're ready for the old one to come back."

I still think it's a possibility that all that's really happened is that the tension has eased between the camps, but the personal relationship is the same. Imagine Axl's reaction going online and seeing "Slash confirms he and Axl are friends again" if they haven't even spoken.

They've spoken. Slash hasn't denied it in fact he admitted it. He was asked clear as day and admitted it

I still think it's a possibility that all that's really happened is that the tension has eased between the camps, but the personal relationship is the same. Imagine Axl's reaction going online and seeing "Slash confirms he and Axl are friends again" if they haven't even spoken.

Del James wouldn't be wishing a happy birthday to Slash if there was something wrong between Axl and Slash. As Marc said, Del's message is very significant : http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/212386-slash-and-axl-talking/page-1

We really can't know for sure. Del only started a Twitter account in the last year, so we have no history to judge it by. It's also possible that the tension has eased between the camps without them actually speaking to each other.

Sad you can't see the truth... Del would be in deep shit with Axl if Axl still hated Slash right now and you know that's true.

I think we're right back at square one. It looked promising but as with all GNR reunion things, it got taken way too far way too fast and it was never really any closer than its been.

I equally blame Slash and the interviewer. The interviewer really led him there with the "friends" comment. Where does that come from and why did he use that word specifically? And then what was with all these "insiders" here saying "this isn't surprising. There have been clues all along."? Cause now everything is pointing to this not happening, so did the media kill this one? Did the "insiders" never actually know anything or just saying they did? If something was actually in the works, what could have changed?

I mainly blame Slash, but I also don't. He should know what to say about GNR and he is usually very smart about it. To say this, if it wasn't 100% true, was stupid and he knows that. He knows what will run and 20 years down the line he knows to not immediately say "Axl and I are not friends in the way that we aren't talking. I have no problem with him, but 'friends' is Axl's call, not mine." He should be as transparent as possible, or else it looks like what happened a few months ago where he has to do another interview and say everything went too far. This is the ammo Slash Lies people use. But I get where Slash is coming from. He gets this question EVERY SINGLE DAY. I understand being tired of it and wanting to put a new spin on it. And he can do that, but he just has to make sure its truthful and something that can't be taken out of context.

I believe what Eddie Trunk said which is why I think this is one of the rare times Slash screwed up. I'm not mad at him because I understand how he must feel about the subject, but yes this was ultimately a foolish mistake on his part, and if anything probably made Axl angrier that Slash insinuated something that wasn't true.

When somebody says ''they prefer Chinese Democracy over Appetite'' or ''Robin Fink'' or some other tosser ''over Slash'', that says two things about them. Firstly, it says they are up Axl's bum: ''look at me, I am such a hardcore Axl supporter that I have chosen to prefer the new band in order to devalue Slash's contributions''. Secondly, they are saying ''look at me, I'm so bold, cool and different from everyone else''. On the second point, there are people who prefer the prequels over the original Star Wars trilogy or people who think St Anger is ''Metallica's best album''. Those people are rare but they exist because they are rare: they are smug in their obscurity.

Or just maybe I really do like CD better than Appetite? Regardless of all the crap you wrote?

Thats very possible. Like I said, I have a hard time believing that from many people around here and hopefully you understand why people are skeptical. I think there are way more people that "forced themselves to like Chinese the best" (as silly as that sounds), but I do believe there are people, and maybe you are one of them, that actually does like that album best in their catalogue.

Where do we go now? I only mention it because we are no more clearer today than when news of this first broke. I hope to God it wasn't an attempt at humour or passive aggression in the actual interview because alienating an entire fan base for shits n giggles makes you a royal arse in my opinion. I only mention this because of the vibes in what that post said about Trunk reaching out to Slash for more info on what he said.

Fair enough!

People are setting themselves up for disappointment by getting caught in this reunion whirlwind.

It probably will happen some day. It may happen soon. I think it's more likely to take a while. All Slash did was say they had begun speaking again... He's still busy with Myles (recording/prepping a tour) and there's no indication Axl has immediate plans to get back on the road in any capacity.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, just to temper unrealistic expectations.

Fair point. After listening to the trunk podcast.i firmly believe both aren't really friends but that they're working on things. A reunion isn't close but it's still closer than ever.

You don't wanna get your hopes up and I'm the same. That's why I know this Australian festival talk is probably behind the scenes talk at best. But the fact Axl and Slash are speaking is positive for reunionists but more importantly hope for mankind showing now, that everyone can forgive and forget.

I do think a few more things have to happen for a reunion including Slash finsihing touring off of his current album, which now he won't do interviews knowing all anyone will ask about is Axl, so he's going to see it through then we'll see where things are at. For now, I'm happy mom and dad worked things out.

Fair enough!

You posted a fair point, I just think Slash will keep quiet now until he can figure out how to handle this PR wise. Slash doesn't want to influence any douchebag to show up to his concerts yelling "where's Axl" just like the idiots who yelled "where's slash?" at GNR shows. He needs to see ths tour and album through and then reunion talk will happen.

I think what could be taken from the Trunk podcast is that maybe Axl reached out to Slash to mend the broken bridges, in case he's spending his free time lately looking back at his past and trying to figure shit out; as Trunk mentioned Slash is busy working on his solo material, which likely wouldn't be shelved to jump on a reunion

Team Brazil is also a key factor in this whole thing, since they seem to be actively anti-reunion unless things have changed

At this point in time I'd just use the analogy don't count your chickens before they hatch

People are setting themselves up for disappointment by getting caught in this reunion whirlwind.

It probably will happen some day. It may happen soon. I think it's more likely to take a while. All Slash did was say they had begun speaking again... He's still busy with Myles (recording/prepping a tour) and there's no indication Axl has immediate plans to get back on the road in any capacity.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, just to temper unrealistic expectations.

Fair point. After listening to the trunk podcast.i firmly believe both aren't really friends but that they're working on things. A reunion isn't close but it's still closer than ever.

You don't wanna get your hopes up and I'm the same. That's why I know this Australian festival talk is probably behind the scenes talk at best. But the fact Axl and Slash are speaking is positive for reunionists but more importantly hope for mankind showing now, that everyone can forgive and forget.

I do think a few more things have to happen for a reunion including Slash finsihing touring off of his current album, which now he won't do interviews knowing all anyone will ask about is Axl, so he's going to see it through then we'll see where things are at. For now, I'm happy mom and dad worked things out.

Fair enough!

You posted a fair point, I just think Slash will keep quiet now until he can figure out how to handle this PR wise. Slash doesn't want to influence any douchebag to show up to his concerts yelling "where's Axl" just like the idiots who yelled "where's slash?" at GNR shows. He needs to see ths tour and album through and then reunion talk will happen.

Sounds like a plan. Hopefully CD:2 & 3, will be released before a reunion. In a perfect world...

:lol:

Edited by wkuk04

You're so right. CD is my favourite album. I'm up Axl's bum and so bold, cool and different.

Truth is I hate CD and I only do it to get other people's attention

I prefer CD over the rest

:facepalm:

I prefer cd and uyi 1 over the rest, nothing wrong with that. Doesnt mean i dont like the rest, maybe im just sick of it. As for myself, i just want something fresh, cd2 or new album with slash. Oh and drummer may be frank or adler i wont care too...

• Like 1

Let me try to explain:

If Axl had released 2 or 3 albums post Slash then I'd see how you could get into a debate of "i'd rather have Buckethead (for example) than Slash" but the fact is, we have only one album from Axl's version of GnR,

I don't think people like specific guitarists, or musicians in general, because of the volume of their output. Fact is that some fans just like Bucket more than Slash. Deal with it.

Utter bollocks. You are completely dismissing the possibility that some people like other music than you. How arrogant is it possible to be?

Edited by SoulMonster

For people that prefer CD over any Guns album- that's fine but you realize it's NOT Guns n Roses right? It's (for all intents) an Axl Rose solo album. Period.

It would only be a solo record if it wasn't released under the "Guns N' Roses" label or was the work of predominantly one person. Fact is, Chinese Democracy was released by a lineup of Guns N' Roses that was pieced together sequentially as other band members left, and through a process where many band members brought in song ideas and together co-wrote and arranged the songs. There is simply NO WAY CD wasn't a GN'R record, unless in the heads of people in denial.

• Like 1

I don't think people like specific guitarists, or musicians in general, because of the volume of their output. Fact is that some fans just like Bucket more than Slash. Deal with it.

yes be we are talking about preferring one over the other as GnR lead guitarist, not as a musician in general. I say it would be easier to have such a debate if we had had more nu-guns albums to base our opinion on