Slash comments on talking with Axl again - "It was probably way over due. It's very cool."

This is a bit off topic, but could someone point to a couple of videos where Buckethead supposedly surpasses Slash on songs from AFD? Thanks.

OK, I don't hear it. Buckethead's version sounds pointless to me, no beginning, no end. I'd say Slash's version is much more musical.

• Like 2

Another way of looking at that is saying "If you don't like Bon Scott, you don't like AC/DC". It's totally possible that you can only like the Brian Johnson era....there must be some fans out there who were only turned on to GNR because of the hype surrounding the release of CD - I was one of them. I always liked the 4-5 classic hits that play on the radio all day long, but having the hype of that album is what caused me to look back. Some people surely prefer CD to AFD as ludicrous as that may seem.

And like Slash with GNR, if there was no Bon Scott then there'd be no Brian Johnson for u to like in the first place. So for people to sit here and say they dont like Slash is ridiculous, because if he was never there then there would be no Guns N Roses to like in the first place, no Buckethead to prefer, or anyone else thats tried to replace him since, period. There would be no hype for CD because it would have never existed in the first place.

Right but you don't have to like the Slash-era GNR material or anything he does as a guitarist. Was he in the band and did he contribute a ton to what GNR '86-'93 was? Absolutely, but CD is so different to AFD that you can easily hate Slash as a person, personality, songwriter, and musician and still like Guns N Roses. Who came before Bon Scott? Dave Evans? Can't stand the guy, can't stand his voice, or his personality, but respect him slightly for fulfilling the role. Without him there probably wouldn't have been a Bon Scott either, but nobody gives that guy the time of day. Obviously I'm not likening Slash`s role in GNR to that of Evans with ACDC, but the point is you can have a huge hate on for old members and old albums especially when the sound is completely flipped upside down (CD and AFD don`t sound anything like the same band because they weren`t made by the same band). Only the name sticks.

And really it's a bad argument on either end, because CD is not a true GNR album, it's an Axl Rose solo project. So for me personally, I agree with you. I can't see how anybody could hate Slash and love GNR unless their only exposure to the band was CD and they genuinely only like that album by the "brand".

Edited by izzy92

Slash wasn't asked if he and Axl were speaking

Slash didn't say he and Axl were speaking

Slash said in June he and Axl were "not in touch", just a month after an interview in which he stated the animosity was gone, same thing as here

Del wishing happy birthday to Slash is not proof that they have spoken

Marc says he hasn't spoken to either about it

In conclusion, there is no evidence that they have had direct contact

Interviewer asks: "I've heard that you made FRIENDS with Axl Rose again. How was that possible after all those years?"

Slash answers: "Yeah, you know, it was probably way over due, you know, but it's very cool at this point. Let some of that... dispel some of that negative stuff that was going on for so long"

As far as i know, friends do speak, right? I think it's easy as that. If Slash had a problem with the term "friends", he would have said something. If you "made friends with someone AGAIN", it clearly means you'd spoken to that person...

Edited by GNRfanMILO

This is a bit off topic, but could someone point to a couple of videos where Buckethead supposedly surpasses Slash on songs from AFD? Thanks.

OK, I don't hear it. Buckethead's version sounds pointless to me, no beginning, no end. I'd say Slash's version is much more musical.

Nothing sounds better than Slash Rocket Queen extended version :headbang:

Another way of looking at that is saying "If you don't like Bon Scott, you don't like AC/DC". It's totally possible that you can only like the Brian Johnson era....there must be some fans out there who were only turned on to GNR because of the hype surrounding the release of CD - I was one of them. I always liked the 4-5 classic hits that play on the radio all day long, but having the hype of that album is what caused me to look back. Some people surely prefer CD to AFD as ludicrous as that may seem.

And like Slash with GNR, if there was no Bon Scott then there'd be no Brian Johnson for u to like in the first place. So for people to sit here and say they dont like Slash is ridiculous, because if he was never there then there would be no Guns N Roses to like in the first place, no Buckethead to prefer, or anyone else thats tried to replace him since, period. There would be no hype for CD because it would have never existed in the first place.

Dont like Slash, worse are the Slash boy fans...

Enjoy the hell out of Izzys solo stuff....

Still want AFD reunion though.... ;)

''Slash sucks. Shackler's Revenge is better than Jungle. CD is better than Appetite. Ashba is better than the old one'', signed, a Brazilian with a sore backside.

HAHAHA! Exactly! Here at Brazil, there are a lot of these guys in the GnR foruns or in the groups on the facebook.

"Slash is a suck! Slash is a plagiarist! To the GnR, Buckthead/Finck/Ashba (?!) or any other guitar player is more important than Slash!"

and these comments are real! I really don't understand how a person can enjoy GnR and hate Slash. This doesn't make sense!

But the Nu GnR fans, only exist in the internet. I never saw a "Nu GnR's fan in the real life.

Edited by Andy Vianna

Slash not having a stage-presence? Are you people kidding? Slash has one of the greatest stage presences possessed by a guitarist, ever. He is literally the last proper gun-slinger of the lineage of Page, Perry, Beck. You have the mess of hair and cigarette; the low-slung Les Paul - legs akimbo; those moments when he raises the guitar vertically at the side when soloing.

Honestly, all sanity has disappeared here!!

I'll just leave this here bc it's fun to watch and proves your point. Both guys had great stage presence.

http://youtu.be/I4VnIhc6-ks

Edited by IncitingChaos

''Slash sucks. Shackler's Revenge is better than Jungle. CD is better than Appetite. Ashba is better than the old one'', signed, a Brazilian with a sore backside.

Is that what the thread has deteriorated into? That's funny! :lol:

I've lost count on how many randoms (friends, family members and coworkers) have approached me in the last week to say "hey, I heard Slash and Axl are friends again". People who aren't Guns fans, people who aren't rock fans, people who are in their freakin 60's and 70's and know nothing about the band except that I go their concerts, have heard this news and felt compelled to reach out to me. I must say that as a GNR fan, I've heard nothing but positive feedback from all these people, it's been a good week. About fuckin time.

• Like 2

- Duff says he'd be lying if he said he and Axl haven't talked about a reunion.

- DJ formally quits the band

- GnR sources finally confirm Ron is out

- Ron says the difference why he coldn't announce his departure and DJ could was timing

- Slash says he and Axl have dispelled the negative energy and it was long over due and it's very cool right now

- Slash very quickly asked to change subjects away from the reunion when in the past he'd have given a diplomatic answer

- Neither Axl and his camp or Slash and his camp have done anything to shoot down the hype surrounding this latest "revelation"

Yup. Nothing is happening. It's just the imagination of the "reunionists". They are the delusional ones in denial setting themselves up for disappointment

Oh and there's that 100 million dollars or so that would be on the table if a reunion were to take place.

I'd guess about 350 million before taxes.

That almost rivals Slash for me. Slash's outro and all out playing is superb on Nightrain and on all GnR songs no doubt, Buckethead has the ability to seriously give Slash a run for his money at times although Slash's GnR body of work is untouchable. I honestly need to hear what else Buckethead recorded while in Guns N' Roses.

I'm not saying you're lying, I'm just saying you're fooling yourself. I saw the original band twice. And I too have a lot of hard core classic rock fans... and most of them have no idea who was in GNR besides Axl and Slash, unless they were reminded, of course.

Fantasy world? Congrats on your near 2000 posts on a rock band forum.

And that isn't including my posts as Howlin' Wolf when this account was banned at one point for posting some insane message "Madison" had PM'd me one time ;) May have been a couple years.. The people I have been talking weren't just classic rock or casual fans. They were people who I know are Guns fans. Agree to disagree.. You just struck a nerve earlier..

When Slash's next interview? There's no way he doesn't get asked about this again, maybe we'll get some clarification.

I bet he is fucking dreading it. I feel like he was totally blind sided by that question. He may have to implement a no Guns questions rule going forward.

All true, but for me, no Izzy, not going...

You say that now ;)

No Izzy, not going.... youtube is cheaper ;)

• Like 1

Slash not having a stage-presence? Are you people kidding? Slash has one of the greatest stage presences possessed by a guitarist, ever. He is literally the last proper gun-slinger of the lineage of Page, Perry, Beck. You have the mess of hair and cigarette; the low-slung Les Paul - legs akimbo; those moments when he raises the guitar vertically at the side when soloing.

Honestly, all sanity has disappeared here!!

I'll just leave this here bc it's fun to watch and proves your point. Both guys had great stage presence.

http://youtu.be/I4VnIhc6-ks

That would mean axl voice with memed instruments like the rhcp :( still would be cool Edited by riot

- Ron says the difference why he coldn't announce his departure and DJ could was timing

- Slash says he and Axl have dispelled the negative energy and it was long over due and it's very cool right now

- Slash very quickly asked to change subjects away from the reunion when in the past he'd have given a diplomatic answer

- Neither Axl and his camp or Slash and his camp have done anything to shoot down the hype surrounding this latest "revelation"

Yup. Nothing is happening. It's just the imagination of the "reunionists". They are the delusional ones in denial setting themselves up for disappointment

Oh and there's that 100 million dollars or so that would be on the table if a reunion were to take place.

Not doubting you, but where does Duff say that he and axl have talked reunion? I want to read it in context.

Actually it's very easy. Who's the most important guitarist in GNR's history?

Maybe some will say it's Izzy but he isn't. Izzy is probably the most important songwriter in the history of this band but

the most important guitarist is, was and will ever be Slash. Without a doubt.

I get it when people like the new material and other guitarists input.

But preferring that over the classic lineup, over the most important music and most important musicians in the band's history, over the reason everybody of us is here on this forum, that's something I don't understand. You simply can't be a fan of GNR but dislike Slashs playing.

If you don't like Slash but love Bucket/Fink or Fortus/Ashba you probably are a fan of Axl's newer bands that happened to be called Guns N Roses too but they have nothing to do with the legendary band from the 80's/early 90's with the exception of their lead singer's name and to some degree Dizzy and their setlist.

It doesn't matter how hard Soul Monster is trying to convince us otherwise.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 3

If u dont like Slash then u dont like Guns N Roses. If Slash was never there to help write the classic songs and propel GNR to stardom then there would be no Guns N Roses for Axl to record Chinese Democracy to release under said name in the first place. Its really not that hard to comprehend, personal preferences aside.

Agreed, but to be fair,you can say the same about Axl.

If I could give this post a 100,000,000 likes, I would. Couldn't have put it better. Where there's smoke, there's usually a fire.

If u dont like Slash then u dont like Guns N Roses. If Slash was never there to help write the classic songs and propel GNR to stardom then there would be no Guns N Roses for Axl to record Chinese Democracy to release under said name in the first place. Its really not that hard to comprehend, personal preferences aside.

Agreed, but to be fair,you can say the same about Axl.

Absolutely.