Slash comments on talking with Axl again - "It was probably way over due. It's very cool."

Where do we go now? I only mention it because we are no more clearer today than when news of this first broke. I hope to God it wasn't an attempt at humour or passive aggression in the actual interview because alienating an entire fan base for shits n giggles makes you a royal arse in my opinion. I only mention this because of the vibes in what that post said about Trunk reaching out to Slash for more info on what he said.

Edited by wkuk04

I cant believe some people seem to see this as something negative, or try to bring down the excitement of the rest.

Let me try to explain:

I don't think anyone considers it negative that Slash and Axl may become friends or friendly again. But, some might consider a reunion, in which Slash is back in GN'R, as negative because they don't like him much as a guitarist or fear that it would mean they won't get to hear unreleased material from the CD sessions. It really isn't rocket science. They just prefer other guitarists and/or other music than what he would bring to GN'R. Why anyone would get so whiny just because people don't like Slash, is beyond me.

As for bringing down the excitement, I think any cautionary posts mostly come from a place of trying to keep things a bit realistic around here, and to prevent people from being too disappointed if it turns out Axl & Slash aren't really that friendly and that Slash won't return to GN'R.

• Like 1

Some folks are so used to to playing the "not in this lifetime, hur hur" card that any mention of a possibility of it happening fucks with their heads.

The biggest obstacle in the old band getting together has been the Axl/Slash feud. With Slash saying things are better between them, along with other signs of things being positive, it is only natural for people to make the leap to the endgame(reunion). It's the best news for this band in 20 years. Finally the fans have something to be positive about that isn't another AFD cash grab tour or another discussion of a shitty album. Let em have it. If it goes south, and people are disappointed, responsibility to the responsible. They don't need a nanny for their emotions over this.

Be excited.

I cant believe some people seem to see this as something negative, or try to bring down the excitement of the rest.

Let me try to explain:

I don't think anyone considers it negative that Slash and Axl may become friends or friendly again. But, some might consider a reunion, in which Slash is back in GN'R, as negative because they don't like him much as a guitarist or fear that it would mean they won't get to hear unreleased material from the CD sessions. It really isn't rocket science. They just prefer other guitarists and/or other music than what he would bring to GN'R. Why anyone would get so whiny just because people don't like Slash, is beyond me.

As for bringing down the excitement, I think any cautionary posts mostly come from a place of trying to keep things a bit realistic around here, and to prevent people from being too disappointed if it turns out Axl & Slash aren't really that friendly and that Slash won't return to GN'R.

Its one thing telling people not to get too excited, but others really argue as if its what they want to happen. They sound like they are mocking the idea of a reunion.

And ironically, the whiny ones you mentioned are mostly those who are against a reunion, cuz the rest are being positive and sharing their excitement.

It's not Slash's fault if a lot of fans read " It was probably way over due. It's very cool."" as if he and Axl are best pals and ready to launch a record and tour that they have been secretly preparing for a long time already.

Not that I wouldn't be happy about it, it's just that some of us have been fans for a longer period than others and know how these things usually go. It's been 20 years and severals "not in this lifetime" statements, still people get over excited about a "It was probably way over due. It's very cool."

You seem to be ignoring the fact that this was an answer to a question which said that they were FRIENDS again...

So if this is not manipulated and Slash isnt deaf yet, it means a lot more than youre trying to suggest.

Of Course this is gnr, anything is possible and im prepared for that but still this is by far the closest to any confirmed reconciliation that weve been sińce 1996.

And anyone who doesnt want a reunion is just sick in the head, I mean seriously theres no justification to this madness...

Edited by Asia

So if this is not manipulated and Slash isnt deaf yet, it means a lot more than youre trying to suggest.

Well, that is certainly two possible explanations for why Slash wouldn't object to what the question implied, but there are others: Slash might want to test the waters by going along with the question although he wouldn't have phrased it that way himself; he might let it stand to force Axl to shoot it down and hence be the bad guy again; he might simply have misheard; he might have been caught a bit unaware and not taking the cue to address the implication; he might have been caught unaware and thought that someone in the GN'R camp has said they are friends and therefore, as to not ruin what he would consider a good thing, sort of confirmed it; and he might have thought it wasn't that much of a deal if the interview left a slightly exaggerate impression of the situation and hence forgetting the fanatism of reunionists. I mean, I am not saying all or any of these are very probable, nor that these are all there is, just that other possibilities certainly are possible.

And anyone who doesnt want a reunion is just sick in the head, I mean seriously theres no justification to this madness...

Are you saying I am sick in the head because I prefer the possibility of something new and great over a flawed repeat of something 25 years ago? Okay then.

Let me try to explain:

Its one thing telling people not to get too excited, but others really argue as if its what they want to happen. They sound like they are mocking the idea of a reunion.

And ironically, the whiny ones you mentioned are mostly those who are against a reunion, cuz the rest are being positive and sharing their excitement.

I am sure many ARE mocking the idea of a reunion, just like many are mocking the idea of a reunion not happening now, or even ever. And there there are others who disagree with either but manage to do this is a non-mocking way :shrugs: .

No, the whiny ones I mentioned were exactly those that whine because others don't hold Slash to the same high regard as themselves or consider the prospect of a reunion a great thing. The whiny ones who whine about a reunion are someone else.

Or that the simplest answer is the correct answer. He answered a direct question in a direct manner.

Yes, of course, but Asia and I were discussing alternative reasons for why Slash would sort of confirm it :shrugs:

Let me try to explain:

And those people are not GN'R fans.

It is that simple.

How can one be a GN'R fan and not like the guitarist who wrote and recorded 4/5 of GN'R's music and was one half of the 'face' of GN'R during their heyday? How can one be a GN'R fan and prefer guitarists who cover the songs over the guy who conceived the actual songs in question?

It is the equivalent of preferring a chain-smoking Elvis tribute artist (from Hull, England) over Elvis Presley, the King, himself!! It is totally bonkers!!

• Like 1

Let me try to explain:

And those people are not GN'R fans.

I would never dismiss the genuinity of fans who became fans due to CD or because of other aspects of the music than Slash' guitar work. But we two are different.

Personally, Slash's work on AFD is one of the big reasons I became a fan of the band, but I don't think he has ever come close to that level since and I frankly feel he has become a bit washed up and repetitive. This doesn't take anything from what he did back then, and for me he will always be a legend, I am just not sure I will like whatever he will bring to the table IF he were to rejoin GN'R, IF a reunion would ever happen, and IF it is true that he and Axl are friendly again. Honestly, I would prefer someone with a bit wider repertoire and who brings something new to the band, or has the best years in front of him/her, not behind.

Edited by SoulMonster

TB will use this as the excuse for why we won't hear the promised news in 2-4 months:
"We were planning on giving you big news in 2-4 months which would've excited all Guns fans, but (demon) Slash spoke to the media, which set the label against us and derailed all the plans we had."

Let me try to explain:

People rather have another dude playing guitar over Slash? The ultimate nonesense!!! That´s like saying you love The Rolling Stones but you don't want Keith Richards in the band.

As for CD II, even if there is no reunion there is no guarantee either that CDII will eventually come out. CDII should´ve come out 2 or 3 years ago. It´s silly to blame Slash/ reunion for not having CDII

I guess the point is if they are friends then why not at least tour if Slash wants to. If Izzy doesn't that's cool. If Duff wants to, then great.

Then why not try to reconnect musically. Try to find something. Maybe Izzy has some songs too.

Whether or not they can pull it off GNR style we don't know. Only they know that. If they are willing to go all out with an album and deal with all that. We don't have to do anything, we have nothing to lose.

Maybe Axl doesn't want to do it anyway and is more driven to take GNR forward with Fortus or whatever. We know there's at least a record.

Combounion!

• Like 1

Let me try to explain:

People rather have another dude playing guitar over Slash? The ultimate nonesense!!! That´s like saying you love The Rolling Stones but you don't want Keith Richards in the band.

I don't think there is anythign nonsensical about it, and your analogy would work better if The Rolling Stones had taken a long break and then released a guitar-heavy record with a new guitarist :shrugs: . THEN there would actually be possible for people to prefer someone else in Rolling Stones than Keith.

Is it the fact that someone doesn't share your PERSONAL subjective opinion of guitarists, or the fact that someone doesn't share the MAJORITY's view, that makes this so hard to get?

To prefer a new gnr guitarist over Slash is the same as preferring this,

Nope, for reasons explained to Padme, but thanks for taking the time to at least find some pictures to illustrate your point, no matter how flawed.

• Like 1

A reunion doesn't make sense. Axl doesn't like old Guns music anymore. And Slash thought CD was "okay." And even if it was good/he liked it, who gives a fuck about Slash playing CD?

Really cause AFD and UYIs songs are 80+% percent of a NUGnR show....

A reunion doesn't make sense. Axl doesn't like old Guns music anymore. And Slash thought CD was "okay." And even if it was good/he liked it, who gives a fuck about Slash playing CD?

This is a joke right? Have you ever been to a nugnr concert? They play mostly the OLD stuff with a few songs from CD. And if a bunch of B players can cover slashs music on the HITS that made the name, Slash can sure play, probably better, the few songs of CD that they may play. This experiment is over. It never caught on, and really did not produce anything that great.

Faulty assumptive logic. Let me know if you want me to explain why you're wrong.

PS: I'm a huge Slash fan.

This is a joke right? Have you ever been to a nugnr concert? They play mostly the OLD stuff with a few songs from CD. And if a bunch of B players can cover slashs music on the HITS that made the name, Slash can sure play, probably better, the few songs of CD that they may play. This experiment is over. It never caught on, and really did not produce anything that great.

This

Chill. I have seen NuGNR unfortunately.

I'm pretty sure Axl has said quite a few times he has no interest in hard rock music/old GNR. I don't care to pull sources, but I'm fairly certain I'm not making this up.

He may SAY lots of things, but his ACTIONS at the multiple nugnr concerts I have attended and followed say other wise

LOL to anybody who's calling himself GNR fan but prefers CD over the classic albums

I do admire your ability to be entertained by such mundane things like differing subjective opinions on art. For your continued pleasure, I will let you know that there are some people who are currently not GN'R fans but would become so if another vocalist than Axl had been fronting the band, or if it was less guitar-oriented, or if the songs were in dubstep or easy listening and not rock. Hilarious, I admit, but I guess they are just wired slightly different than us.