Slash comments on talking with Axl again - "It was probably way over due. It's very cool."

If the topic is derailing into an argument about guitarists and who's better, we could be here for quite some time :lol:

I find Slash horribly overrated, but he's a big part of the GnR brand; it's just too bad he doesn't put more effort into his stage presence and performances lately

For people that prefer CD over any Guns album- that's fine but you realize it's NOT Guns n Roses right? It's (for all intents) an Axl Rose solo album. Period.

I consider it a GN'R album - though created under insane circumstances with a lineup that was everything but organic (as opposed to the classic ones).

However in spirits and for what GNR means to me it works as a GNR album.

• Like 1

I don't think people like specific guitarists, or musicians in general, because of the volume of their output. Fact is that some fans just like Bucket more than Slash. Deal with it.

yes be we are talking about preferring one over the other as GnR lead guitarist, not as a musician in general. I say it would be easier to have such a debate if we had had more nu-guns albums to base our opinion on

Yes, it is easier to form an opinion on a guitarist in a band if he or she has released a lot of music in that band, but the fact that Bucket is only featured on a few songs, and Slash on many, doesn't invalidate the opinions of people who prefer Bucket above Slash. Maybe they think all Slash has ever released is pure shit and Buckets additions to GN'R is genious? I wouldn't agree but I wouldn't argue as if their opinion is somehow wrong.

Chinese Democracy is an Axl Rose solo album. He calls his solo project Guns N' Roses, just like Trent Reznor calls his Nine Inch Nails. Trent works with other musicians like Atticus Ross, Danny Lohner and Alessandro Cortini but they are by no means, members of a band, they were hired to help Trent with his records and play songs live. Same thing with Robin, Bucket, Tommy... Guns N' Roses was a band until mid 90s. It then became a solo effort with a revolving door of side musicians. Iron Maiden is a band, U2 is a band, GNR is not a band.

Chinese Democracy is an Axl Rose solo album. He calls his solo project Guns N' Roses, just like Trent Reznor calls his Nine Inch Nails. Trent works with other musicians like Atticus Ross, Danny Lohner and Alessandro Cortini but they are by no means, members of a band, they were hired to help Trent with his records and play songs live. Same thing with Robin, Bucket, Tommy... Guns N' Roses was a band until mid 90s. It then became a solo effort with a revolving door of side musicians. Iron Maiden is a band, U2 is a band, GNR is not a band.

A band is nothing more than a group of musicians playing together. That's the definition. Don't let your own disappointment/dislike/diagreement lure you into redefining words just to make you feel better.

Guns N' Roses is a band, the original line-up is a brand

• Like 1

I can agree with the above, however it seems to me that Axl wanted it to work as a band. With collaborations from everyone involved in the making of the album. With the same people defending the material live.

But for whatever reasons it took an eternity and an an ocean of difficulties and all the crap that we know (and what we don't!). Not saying Axl is not partly responsible. But I think he tried to make it work. As a band. Even with all the contracts and all, some were not afraid to speak their mind (Tommy, Robin, BBF) or show that sometimes they were not happy at all with how things were going. Not like they were forced to silence as some are suggesting.

If the topic is derailing into an argument about guitarists and who's better, we could be here for quite some time :lol:

I find Slash horribly overrated, but he's a big part of the GnR brand; it's just too bad he doesn't put more effort into his stage presence and performances lately

The thing is Slash has never been much of a stage presence guy. He's almost shy when he comes to the stage. Obviously to each their own as far as stage presence goes. Performances though? He's doing the best live playing now that he's ever done. Being sober helps but he's improved as a player big time.

A band is nothing more than a group of musicians playing together. That's the definition. Don't let your own disappointment/dislike/diagreement lure you into redefining words just to make you feel better.

But calling GNR a solo project makes me feel so good man, please let me keep saying they are not a band. GNR is not a band! Ahhh feels good man.

Slash not having a stage-presence? Are you people kidding? Slash has one of the greatest stage presences possessed by a guitarist, ever. He is literally the last proper gun-slinger of the lineage of Page, Perry, Beck. You have the mess of hair and cigarette; the low-slung Les Paul - legs akimbo; those moments when he raises the guitar vertically at the side when soloing.

Honestly, all sanity has disappeared here!!

• Like 4

Guns N' Roses is a solo project, the original line-up was a band

Fixed.

When somebody says ''they prefer Chinese Democracy over Appetite'' or ''Robin Fink'' or some other tosser ''over Slash'', that says two things about them. Firstly, it says they are up Axl's bum: ''look at me, I am such a hardcore Axl supporter that I have chosen to prefer the new band in order to devalue Slash's contributions''. Secondly, they are saying ''look at me, I'm so bold, cool and different from everyone else''. On the second point, there are people who prefer the prequels over the original Star Wars trilogy or people who think St Anger is ''Metallica's best album''. Those people are rare but they exist because they are rare: they are smug in their obscurity.

You're so right. CD is my favourite album. I'm up Axl's bum and so bold, cool and different.

Truth is I hate CD and I only do it to get other people's attention

Yeh, Slash is my favourite GnR guitarist but I don't doubt that there are people who got into GnR after 2008 that might have listened to CD or saw the band live who like Dj, Richard or Ron more than Slash or any of the previous guys, and that's fine! some people like the way certain guitar players play, others hate them for the same reasons other love them. True, some people say "I hate Slash" because Axl has/had? a feud with him and they want to be on team Axl... it's childish and weird but people do say things like that on here all the time.

For me, I don't understand how anyone can love Guns N' Roses and not appreciate Slash as a guitarist. I nearly guarantee the majority of peoples gateway into Gnr was through a Slash/Axl collaboration... few of you will have found Guns through CD but you are the minority.

Finally, I like CD a lot. I listen to it more than any other Guns album, and I do that because I enjoy the record, not because of any bullshit "I'm hardcore, Look at me" stuff that you mentioned. I can't stand when people refuse to accept that a lot of people enjoyed the record and that it's quite possible that some consider it a great album, and maybe even Guns best work. Best as in personal preference, we're not talking about reviews, public reception etc. just what you thought when you heard it. I understand very clearly that a lot of people don't consider it a GnR record, and that some people think it's a steaming pile, I think that's fair, even though I obviously feel differently... it's not for everyone!

I don't think people like specific guitarists, or musicians in general, because of the volume of their output. Fact is that some fans just like Bucket more than Slash. Deal with it.

Fair enough if we are discussing Buckethead as a solo artist or Buckethead v Slash as solo artists, but as Guns N' Roses guitarists there is simply no quantifiably way Buckethead can compete with Slash. Buckethead's GN'R solos can be counted on two hands - his songwriting credits on three fingers; none of those solos or bits of songwriting have contributed to GN'R's enduring fame and icon status in the same way that Slash's has, case in point, Jungle, SCOM, Nightrain, Paradise City, Civil War, etc. Heck, quite a few of Slash's GN'R contributions regularly make ''top 10 riffs/solos of all time'' list in guitar periodicals and polls!!

Few of Buckethead's contributions are even retained in the most recent examples of a GN'R setlist in fact - that is how much impression they made. As I said, 80% of nu gnrs guitar work live is Slash's. Heck, I'm not even sure Buckethead would consider himself a better GN'R guitarist than Slash (he was not given the chance to prove otherwise).

(Not that I am picking on Buckethead because I thought he basically left for the same reasons that Slash did, and was not given a chance like every band-member in the nu gnr era because of Axl and his psychosis with releasing new material.)

• Like 1

Fair enough if we are discussing Buckethead as a solo artist or Buckethead v Slash as solo artists, but as Guns N' Roses guitarists there is simply no quantifiably way Buckethead can compete with Slash.

You seem to labour under the misunderstanding that personal preferences are somehow quantifiable.

Fair enough if we are discussing Buckethead as a solo artist or Buckethead v Slash as solo artists, but as Guns N' Roses guitarists there is simply no quantifiably way Buckethead can compete with Slash. Buckethead's GN'R solos can be counted on two hands - his songwriting credits on three fingers; none of those solos or bits of songwriting have contributed to GN'R's enduring fame and icon status in the same way that Slash's has, case in point, Jungle, SCOM, Nightrain, Paradise City, Civil War, etc. Heck, quite a few of Slash's GN'R contributions regularly make ''top 10 riffs/solos of all time'' list in guitar periodicals and polls!!

Few of Buckethead's contributions are even retained in the most recent examples of a GN'R setlist in fact - that is how much impression they made. As I said, 80% of nu gnrs guitar work live is Slash's. Heck, I'm not even sure Buckethead would consider himself a better GN'R guitarist than Slash (he was not given the chance to prove otherwise).

(Not that I am picking on Buckethead because I thought he basically left for the same reasons that Slash did, and was not given a chance like every band-member in the nu gnr era because of Axl and his psychosis with releasing new material.)

Personal opinion: Bucket solos on Nightrain, YCBM, NR, PC were far better than the originals. It was AFD on steroids indeed.

• Like 1

Fair enough if we are discussing Buckethead as a solo artist or Buckethead v Slash as solo artists, but as Guns N' Roses guitarists there is simply no quantifiably way Buckethead can compete with Slash.

You seem to labour under the misunderstanding that personal preferences are somehow quantifiable.

They rather are as you need some quantifiable extent and tangible product with which to develop your personal preference in the first place.

Always simplifying everything! lol

26.gif"Well actually...."

They rather are as you need some quantifiable extent and tangible product with which to develop your personal preference in the first place.

No, you don't :D You neither need to be able to quantify any component of the music you compare or be able to somehow hold it as a physical product, to develop personal preferences. You simply have to experience a larger amount of enjoyment from the notes one guitarist creates than another. And fact is that some fans thinks that what Buckets produced in GN'R was better than what Slash produced, even if Slash happens to have the largest output.

I have always thought you were just kidding with your inability to grasp the difference between what is objective and what is subjective, e.g. which guitarist has the quantifiably largest output (objective) and whish guitarist one may prefer to listen to (subjective), but I have now come to believe you actually don't understand these things. You don't get the concept of music and art enjoyment being subjective, and that hence some people might not like what you do. Astounding.

Reverting to actual definitions of words can only be called "simplifying" if you are one of those who insist on disregarding them.

I love that band called Bruce Springsteen. They are a great band!

"If you don't agree with me, it is because you don't get it so let me repeat a million times" - SoulMonster

I love that band called Bruce Springsteen. They are a great band!

26.gifWell actually, they are Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.

Trunk said Slash manager said what Slash said has been blown out of proportion so he's laying low not doing interviews.

So no reunion. Unless your a conspiracy theorist.

But the war is over so one day maybe.

Or it could just mean that things are being worked on behind the scenes, but they are not ready to make it known publically yet. It's not like they are going to tell trunk what's going on anyways. Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 1