Reunion mentioned on WWE Monday Night Raw (Paid plug? Something more? Or nothing at all?)

I'm surprised that there isn't a topic on this, if there is and I missed it I'm sorry.

Just in a nut shell, The Dudley Boys turned heel (meaning they are bad guys) and in their first speech explaining why they turned bad they mentioned something along the lines of "We are not a nostalgia act Like Guns n' Roses who came back to ride off into the sunset" (Not the exact quote if someone knows it, post it but I know it's pretty close.)  I looked for a link to the speech on YouTube but couldn't find it.

I'm wondering if it was a planned, paid for plug, or just the Dudley Boys using a current topic.

For those wondering why an insult might be construed to be a plug, you have to understand something basic about wrestling: because the Dudley's are "bad guys" now, they say good things are bad, and bad things are good, it makes people boo them.  For example, if they were in Denver, the would say "Von Miller sucks, Cam Newton was sick or the Panthers would have crushed your crappy Broncos!" Just to get the crowd to boo.

I'm also curious how many people, if any had not been here in a while and came back after the comment, somehow unaware that GnR had reunited and genuinely surprised at the comment and wanted to know more.

Facts:

WWE has a lot of viewers and will pretty much whore themselves to advertise anything. 

WWE does a lot of music and album promotions.

WWE tightly controls what wrestlers say, it's much more scripted than you might think. (The speeches, obviously the matches are scripted)

WWE has a huge audience and social media presence.  I would not be surprised is GnR trended in some fashion in that hour.

The promotion of this tour has had some non traditional approaches (Star Wars trailer is a perfect example.)

Your thoughts?

PS. it just occurred to me this might be mentioned in the "Wrestling thread." But this deserves a post in the discussion section, for all the reasons listed above, was it marketing?  Did anyone find out about the reunion after hearing the comment and researching etc.

Edited by DeadSlash

3 minutes ago, OJones90 said:

I very much doubt it was promotional because it was a dig at them. I remember bubba mentioning GNR before in the past, something like "as axl rose says, you're in the jungle and you're gonna die" or something along those lines. 

That's just it, a dig isn't a dig when it's coming from a heel, Bubba and Devon have both referenced GnR in the past going back to ECW years, in ways that make them seem like fans.

If someone popular, like The Rock or Steve Austin called them a nostalgia act, it would be an insult, no doubt, but this was a speech meant to get heat or hatred from the crowd, intentionally saying something they would dislike to make them boo.

(For the record there was not much of a reaction, leading me to believe this is not as well know of an event as we might think.

• Like 1

Perhaps Guns will perform a song or two at Wrestlemania?

Axl's right hand man, Del James, is a HUGE wrestling fan...

Imagine a live performance of Jungle at the Superbowl of Wrestling coupled with the shocking return of CM Punk?!? :headbang:

The odds of this happening are... One In A Million....

However, it would get people talking about WWE and GNR!

16 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Considering the ratings, I don't think WWE Raw would be the most optimal place to put over Guns N' Roses.

It's extremely unlikely a throwaway comment in a 3 1/2 hour long show that week had anything else to it.

This is the answer.

• Like 1

Seems like the consensus is it was not a plug, but I'm still not convinced.  WWE doesn't do a lot for free. 

7 hours ago, rockphantom said:

Perhaps Guns will perform a song or two at Wrestlemania?

Axl's right hand man, Del James, is a HUGE wrestling fan...

Imagine a live performance of Jungle at the Superbowl of Wrestling coupled with the shocking return of CM Punk?!? :headbang:

The odds of this happening are... One In A Million....

However, it would get people talking about WWE and GNR!

This could have been a feeler.  A lot of celeb appearances in WrestleMania start with a simple throw away line like that.  Then in a few weeks, the celeb "takes exception" to the comment and the next thing you know, they are headed to mania.

The timing of the first show of the reunion and WrestleMania are awful close.  Big bands play mania pretty often.

We will know either way in a few weeks.  It will turn into something or it wont.  I think WWE's ratings are irrelevant, Mania is seen by millions, even when I wasn't watching wrestling I watched mania every year.  It's a way to make a shit load more people aware of the reunion than are at the present.

1 hour ago, The Real McCoy said:

Christian was wearing a GN'R shirt at the end of the Edge and Christian show on the WWE Network tonight.

Could just be a fan... but anyone who follows wrestling know what tight control WWE has over what they allow wrestlers to say and wear.  It might be looser on WWE network shows than it is on RAW.  Who knows.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeadSlash said:

Could just be a fan... but anyone who follows wrestling know what tight control WWE has over what they allow wrestlers to say and wear.  It might be looser on WWE network shows than it is on RAW.  Who knows.

His jacket was half zipped up, but you could clearly see the bullet logo and GUNS N' on the shirt.