Official: Axl will join AC/DC for stadium tour/US dates

ZoSoRose

I totally get why he is doing it. The guy has been singing a fair amount of the GNR songs at every show he has done for the last 30 years. Just imagine the joy to get to do completely different songs for a few shows. Hopefully it gives him some new energy for his upcoming 700th performance of WTTJ. 

• Like 1

Wonder if Brian Johnson knows about this yet.  :P  As a big AC/DC fan I'm really on the fence about it.   I can understand the band wanting to finish the tour, but the way they went about this just doesn't feel right.  Sooo glad I got to see them again last summer.   Crazy to think it would be for the last time. 

I'm sure Axl will do a good job filling in.  But he's not Brian.  It's no different than the feeling I had with GNR all these years.  All those guitarists were not Slash.  It just isn't the same.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, scooby845 said:

This is not acceptable in any scenario.. Axl's gonna get tired and he should be focusing on GnR.. Why not spend that time rather in rehearsals so we can see the return of Breakdown, Locomotive, Yesterdays and 14 Years in the setlist...??

With 3-4 day breaks in between the ACDC shows, he will not be tired, atleast not vocally. Maybe because he wants to help out one of his favourite bands while also not jeopardising his gnr touring plans? Fortus said they've been rehearsing for 3 months solid, so if they were gonna play those songs, they'd have them down already. Just enjoy it, Axl is back at the top of rock music, and the ACDC tour can be only beneficial imo. Less of the complaining.

• Like 2

IF there's gonna be a new album how is this going to effect it? are people expecting them to come up with something in 2 months? it's most likely going to be the cd leftovers with slash and duff like msl said.. and I'm pretty sure slash is recording with the conspirators next month anyways

8 hours ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Why take it out on Axl? Angus is the one who fired Brian and forced Malcolm to retire. Angus is running the show. They should throw their shit at him instead. 

Geez. Brian is near deaf and Malcolm is toast. There was no need for Angus to fire/force anything. He's the last man standing.

My understanding is Brian Johnson is feeling pretty pissed off about this. He feels his hearing isn't as bad & feels he should have been given the chance to finish the tour. But I think what's hurt him the most is the band (Angus) have let the press know so soon there was a problem. Yet when Mal was ill everything was kept very quiet. Also looking at this I hope it doesn't happen but if Axl strains his voice in the middle of the ACDC shows potentially we could have 2 tours down the pan.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AFD5 said:

My understanding is Brian Johnson is feeling pretty pissed off about this. He feels his hearing isn't as bad & feels he should have been given the chance to finish the tour. But I think what's hurt him the most is the band (Angus) have let the press know so soon there was a problem. Yet when Mal was ill everything was kept very quiet. Also looking at this I hope it doesn't happen but if Axl strains his voice in the middle of the ACDC shows potentially we could have 2 tours down the pan.

Well. When his doctor tells him to cease touring, because he will permanently damage his hearing and he tells that to Angus Young, then whatever happens is his fault, no? If Brian thinks it's not that bad, then he probably should handled it differently. But I would put more stock in what a doctor says, than what Brian thinks. So maybe it is a good thing for him after all, rather than him fully destroying his hearing.

8 hours ago, Bono said:

Seriously think about this for a minute. 

Axl and Slash are back together IN Guns N' Roses
Guns N' Roses just killed it with 3 shows that were met with RAVE reviews.
IF GnR kills it tonight and Axl sounds as good as he did in Vegas and IF Axl pulls this off with AC/DC and sounds good the only thing missing now is a new kick ass single to lead into a new kick ass album and suddenly Axl Rose is the biggest rock star on the planet in 2016. It will be his year. That is so fucking surreal. 

Fuck. Out of likes.

I don't see what the rush was to drop Brian.  U2 cancelled their tour for an entire year after Bono had back surgery.  No one was going to take his place.  Brian wasn't ready to walk away from this yet.  Maybe they could have figured something out.  And after over 35 years he deserves more than a sentence thanking  him for his services  in the same announcement that he's been replaced.  Not only that, but replaced by someone who many people perceive to be a douche.  While Guns fans are used to Axl's persona, some even praising it, not  everyone appreciates it.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asia said:

Totally this. Our best chance for a GNR album is just gone to shit. If it was to happen, it should be happening now when they just started, when everyone's excited and into it, including Axl. They could use that 2 months break to really come up with something. But, no, Axl is touring with AC/DC now and after the Guns tour again, so shit, fuck, no new music. Forget it. A year from now noone will do it, I bet. Yeah, I'm pissed, seriously pissed.

I sort of understand where Axl's coming form but it really is a horrible timing. Fuck, it just ruins everything. Not to mention the Guns tour could be longer and include Europe if it wasn't for this stupid shit.

If the GN'R tour happens at all, that is. Because Axl will probably blow up his voice trying to prove to AC/DC fans that he can do it.

Well, anyway, so much about my reunion joy and excitement. Back to earth now. Next time I'll be able to visit this forum without seing red will be the end of June, maybe. That is if anything happens in June at all.

In some 30 yrs, GN'R has made four studio albums of original material. CD was underway for like a decade. Why would they begin work on a new album like two minutes after Duff and Slash are back??

They have just announced a huge US stadium tour. With Duff and Slash back. In a million years I didn't think they would be back on stage together with Axl, playing Guns for 2-3 hours. I can't believe people aren't satisfied with that and want new music and albums too. Sure - it would be nice. But I think it's an extremely unrealistic fantasy for the foreseeable future...

The thing with ACDC is their schedule runs like clockwork (hit the stage when the ticket says) we all know Axl isn't a friend of punctually (ok he's behaved so far) I really think one show would have been enough. Then concentrate on the job in hand Guns.

• Like 1

Just now, AFD5 said:

I'm not sure if the US dates have been rescheduled yet it looks like Axls first set of ACDC dates are European.

i cant find the the 10 canceled dates.  Im trying to find all the locations of those shows.  

1 hour ago, scooby845 said:

This is not acceptable in any scenario.. Axl's gonna get tired and he should be focusing on GnR.. Why not spend that time rather in rehearsals so we can see the return of Breakdown, Locomotive, Yesterdays and 14 Years in the setlist...??

I felt a bit like this when the rumours first popped up, that GNR should be the focus but since the tour has launched I'm not too concerned any more. Everything seems organised, professional and we've already had some deeper cuts return to the setlist. I'm glad Axl is pushing himself outside his comfort zone, it's a good sign IMO, better than him sitting around navel gazing during Slash's return to SMKC.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GNRfan2008 said:

I wonder what Angus was thinking when GN'R announced Axl's foot injury right before the Vegas shows. Axl was rehearsing with AC/DC while still healthy before the Troubadour incident. You don't hire a charismatic, energetic frontman like Axl Rose to sit in a chair all night. That is not what AC/DC thought they were getting, but the question is how long is he gonna have to use the chair? I figured it would be no big deal with GN'R because they have a two month layoff between the end of Coachella next weekend and the start of the U.S. Tour in Detroit. But those AC/DC gigs are mostly in May, including early May. 

He got that fracture on april first, so most of those shows in may he probably won't have his cast anymore (usually it's 3 to 5 weeks depending on the facture) and he will be able to at least move around again on stage, I would say.