Official: Axl will join AC/DC for stadium tour/US dates

ZoSoRose

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

@Slash787has the post of the thread thus far. 

Overall, I still can't believe the complaining going on, but to each their own. 

If you want to know why from a DC aspect just imagine an announcement that 10 of the upcoming GN'R's shows are going to feature Sebastian Bach, instead of Axl who has been deemed unfit on health grounds!! You can imagine the reaction?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Asia said:

I, on the other hand, can't believe that GNR fans are so happy and excited because the tour that they've waited for for 23 years will last half the time it could last and will include half the dates that it could include and won't include Europe because of AC/DC.

The thing is... I've never actually waited for a GNR reunion. I've always thought that it's cool if it happens, but I've never waited for it. I've waited for a new GNR album. That's the thing I care most about. New music.

Axl touring with AC/DC is almost like new music to me. To me, hearing Axl's versions of AC/DC songs is much more interesting than hearing WTTJ again for the 1000th time.

Also, I think this AC/DC thing will bring MUCH more hype to GNR. Bands have reunited many times before, there's nothing all that interesting about it, even if it is one of the most anticipated reunions of all times. But still, the fact that Axl's doing this AC/DC thing at the same time gives people a LOT more to talk about. And the more there is to talk about, the more there is hype. Now, I wish they would announce a new album on top of all this. That would make all of this mindblowingly epic.

But yeah, I don't think this will overshadow the GNR reunion. This will only make everything bigger. Also Slash wants to work on his own music, so it's a good thing that Axl has another hobby too. I'm sure that GNR is coming to Europe soon enough. And a new album will be released at some point. In my opinion everything's looking great so far.

37 minutes ago, Asia said:

Well, I wish you're right. Somehow, though, I have bad feelings about it.

There is a lot to fear. But, the thing is even without AC/DC, Axl and GN'R are really swimming against the tide of negative publicity and those who want them to fail. Even with all those who are happy that Slash and Duff are back in the band, there are enough reviewers and fans compalining that it isn't a full reunion, that it still has members from the earlier lineups, that GN'R are has beens, that Rock is dead etc. Bad publicity surely isn't great. But it is better than no publicity. So they might as well create even more publicity, good or bad. if Axl does badly with AC/DC, it might very well be a disaster. But it could make everything bigger and better. For Axl and for GN'R (maybe not for all AC/DC fans though). It certainly makes things tougher and the stakes are higher. But, there are reasons to be optimistic.

For one, AC/DC isn't any two bit band. They are also NOT GN'Rs historical peers - this isn't like Axl singing for RCP or Bon Jovi or Skid Row. For many people, and I mean a lot many people AC/DC is much bigger than Guns. Axl fronting the band only burnishes GN'R and its legacy. it is the opportunity to win over hardcore Rock fans who aren't hardcore GN'R fans. But the biggest opportunity is to win over the skeptical press and win the opinion war. Even with Slash and Duff returning, there is a cloud of uncertainty hanging over GN'R. If Axl succeeds at this, it could dispel all doubts. It would create much more anticipation about the GN'R tour and any future music. It could help do many of the things that CD couldn't do for the band - rehabilitate Axl's position as the best frontman in Rock, put the focus squarely back on GN'R and emphasize that they are the best and most important Rock band on the planet and create a lot of momentum for future success.

Secondly, AC/DC are and have been much better at GN'R at both publicity and preparation. So, there is a good chance that these shows will not be duds. If they get great reviews, there is no stopping positive press for GN'R. All the whining about late starts and band friction and lineups will stop. 

Thirdly, we've seen Axl consistently improve each time they've toured. With the kind of level he is performing at now, with a few GN'R shows thrown in, there is a lot to be optimistic about in terms of the level he'll be at when they are back stateside. Moreover, this could complete his circle back from exile - he has every incentive to make it succeed. 

Fourthly, this will seriously challenge Axl by forcing him to sing songs that he hasn't done before and put him in the uncomfortable position of not being the band leader. I think that this bodes well not only for his vocals and performance but also for a better equation with his GN'R bandmates - leading to better performances. I think that the possibility of creating newer music will only go up - AC/DC have been around since 1974. They have a humongous catalog - Axl will likely be inspired to create more material and there is a very good chance that it will be hard rock of the kind that Duff and Slash will enjoy taking a part in creating. 

Those are a lot of IFs there. But, I think that there is a lot to be optimistic about if you are a GN'R fan. Personally, I am more excited and more hopeful now than I was in 2001 or 2006.

Edited by The Archer

30 minutes ago, Asia said:

I, on the other hand, can't believe that GNR fans are so happy and excited because the tour that they've waited for for 23 years will last half the time it could last and will include half the dates that it could include and won't include Europe because of AC/DC.

I don't think this had anything to do with the Guns tour - I'm pretty sure Slash is already booked with MKC for next month, so there weren't going to be any May tour dates in the first place

1 minute ago, Nick Cobraetti said:

I don't think this had anything to do with the Guns tour - I'm pretty sure Slash is already booked with MKC for next month, so there weren't going to be any May tour dates in the first place

I don't think he was. There were interviews with his band mates suggesting he's rahter not going to work for that band this year or will when he finds time and all will be adjusted and depending on the Guns schedule because this is the big thing that is most important right now. I wish Axl was of the same opinion but unfortunately he isn't.

2 minutes ago, Asia said:

I don't think he was. There were interviews with his band mates suggesting he's rahter not going to work for that band this year or will when he finds time and all will be adjusted and depending on the Guns schedule because this is the big thing that is most important right now. I wish Axl was of the same opinion but unfortunately he isn't.

Ah, ok. I hadn't heard that. Hmmm... 

1 minute ago, Asia said:

Both Axl and Slash are big AC/DC fans, Slash knows how cool it is to get the chance to play with people you admire. The opportunity arose and I can't see him begrudging Axl that plus it will keep GNR in the public eye during the period there are no shows scheduled possibly benefiting some of the slower selling US markets.

AC/DC fans are pretty much livid, at least the die hards, but that being said they are touring arenas and stadiums and the bulk of these people are casual fans, and I am sure they would rather see Axl Rose than some random tribute singer

1 minute ago, k12 said:

AC/DC fans are pretty much livid, at least the die hards, but that being said they are touring arenas and stadiums and the bulk of these people are casual fans, and I am sure they would rather see Axl Rose than some random tribute singer

There will be more curiosity about Axl than some random tribute singer from Dallas. It should be easy to want Axl replacing Brian than some no-name guy who sounds like he is doing Bon Scott karaoke. I get the fear about late start times and Axl's unpredictability though - nothing that some good press and publicity and a few on the dot starts can't handle. Angus may be tiny but he's not going to let anything stop his well oiled machine - and I don't think Axl will disrepect him either.

1 hour ago, Asia said:

Or that the greatest event in the history of rock - the GNR comeback that should get and deserves all the limelight, attention and hype is suddenly completely overshadowed by Axl joining AC/DC.

Or that the shows that should be one big celebration of the upcoming happy Guns era and Slash and Duff's return are an advertisement of the upcoming Axl/DC tour that Slash ended up providing a soundtrack for.

Or that Axl will spend a month blowing his voice with AC/DC before the most anticipated GNR tour has even begun.

I would have nothing against Axl doing it any other time, even right after the Guns N'Roses summer American tour if it is so important to him but going to Europe with AC/DC after announcing the GNR reunion and before coming here with GN'R is just not right. As is doing 10 dates with AC/DC after playing just 6 with freshly reunited Guns or doing as many dates with AC/DC in the reunion year as he's going to do with Guns.

All the other guys in the band have put everything on the shelf for this year and reserved the whole year for GN'R. Once they did it, Axl comes and offers them half of his time during that year. I don't think they're happy about it. They value their time high. I am sure once they put all other things aside they would love to be on the road with Guns rather than sit on their assess and wait for Axl and a chance to adjust to his busy schedule that has suddenly become so busy the year they returned to Guns after 23 years.

Yeah, Axl is making his boyhood dream come true. And he's doing it his style. I want it and I don't care for anybody or anything else. And that right at the start of the new era for Guns that could finally bring this band back on top and make it regain its long lost reputation, position and place in rock n roll history.

This is what he should be concentrating on now. This and only this.

He should either do the AC/DC thing before announcing the reunion or do it after the tour with Guns. The reunited Guns are too great and include too important members now to go about it all in a half assed way which is exactly what he's doing. Squeezing the best band in the world that happens to be his band somewhere in between his commitments to Angus Young.

All in all that's just hell of a lot to enjoy :facepalm:

I just couldn't agree more.

33 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

Im not sure which post you replied to cause its not showing, but thanks lol 

I was on mobile and f'd it up. It was the one where you said Axl is the hired hand now. Didn't even cross my mind til you said it, but it's true and it's hilarious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asia said:

Or that the greatest event in the history of rock - the GNR comeback that should get and deserves all the limelight, attention and hype is suddenly completely overshadowed by Axl joining AC/DC.

Or that the shows that should be one big celebration of the upcoming happy Guns era and Slash and Duff's return are an advertisement of the upcoming Axl/DC tour that Slash ended up providing a soundtrack for.

Or that Axl will spend a month blowing his voice with AC/DC before the most anticipated GNR tour has even begun.

I would have nothing against Axl doing it any other time, even right after the Guns N'Roses summer American tour if it is so important to him but going to Europe with AC/DC after announcing the GNR reunion and before coming here with GN'R is just not right. As is doing 10 dates with AC/DC after playing just 6 with freshly reunited Guns or doing as many dates with AC/DC in the reunion year as he's going to do with Guns.

All the other guys in the band have put everything on the shelf for this year and reserved the whole year for GN'R. Once they did it, Axl comes and offers them half of his time during that year. I don't think they're happy about it. They value their time high. I am sure once they put all other things aside they would love to be on the road with Guns rather than sit on their assess and wait for Axl and a chance to adjust to his busy schedule that has suddenly become so busy the year they returned to Guns after 23 years.

Yeah, Axl is making his boyhood dream come true. And he's doing it his style. I want it and I don't care for anybody or anything else. And that right at the start of the new era for Guns that could finally bring this band back on top and make it regain its long lost reputation, position and place in rock n roll history.

This is what he should be concentrating on now. This and only this.

He should either do the AC/DC thing before announcing the reunion or do it after the tour with Guns. The reunited Guns are too great and include too important members now to go about it all in a half assed way which is exactly what he's doing. Squeezing the best band in the world that happens to be his band somewhere in between his commitments to Angus Young.

All in all that's just hell of a lot to enjoy :facepalm:

First of all.........EXCELLENT post. I totally get where you're coming from. The only thing for me is that I don't see this interupting the GN'R thing. I see it adding to the everything about it. I do agree that it's weird that Axl is coming over there with AC/DC prior to Guns, but I'm certain you guys will get Guns next year. If anything, this might help Guns over there by converting some AC/DC fans over. If nothing else, the hype in general should help GN'R when they get over that way. Here in the US, the GN'R tour doesn't seem to need any help outside of one or two markets, so it's not like it's taking away from GN'R here. 

As for the other guys in the band, we don't know what they have planned. My guess is that they'll use the time between Coachella and the stadium tour to rehearse more, work on the stadium show itself or just take it easy or something. It's entirely possible that they'll all do their own thing when Axl is back in the US with AC/DC this fall as well. We know Slash was working on another solo record prior to the GN'R thing. Who knows if he'll release that album and take his band out on tour or whatever while Axl is hitting the US with AC/DC later.

If know that's a whole lot of "if this, then that's" but it just shows how many possibilities there are with this, at least from my perspective. I think the biggest thing we stand apart on is it being bad for the GN'R brand. I completely disagree on that and I'm not even an AC/DC fan. I think the only thing that can come out of this is good, but that of course remains to be seen.

Man Axl must have upped his prozak, he not only reunites with Slash, he agrees to fill in for AC/DC... this a guy who disappears for years at a time.

Not sure his foot is going to heal before May 7th to put on a great show or how he'll take the back lash of a stadium full of negative AC/DC fans.... not like axl takes criticism well. Plus learning a repertoire of songs his voice isn't use to in a very demanding style could totally blow his voice out.

I mean I'm curious but I think its way too fucking risky with a stadium tour which will either end his career miserably or cement GNR as legends and not have a legacy of a loonie tunes singer who wasted 20 years on flopped solo project.

Edited by tkarmy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, tkarmy said:

Man Axl must have upped his prozak, he not only reunites with Slash, he agrees to fill in for AC/DC... this a guy who disappears for years at a time.

Not sure his foot is going to heal before May 7th to put on a great show or how he'll take the back lash of a stadium full of negative AC/DC fans.... not like axl takes criticism well. Plus learning a repertoire of songs his voice isn't use to in a very demanding style could totally blow his voice out.

I mean I'm curious but I think its way too fucking risky with a stadium tour which will either end his career miserably or cement GNR as legends and not have a legacy of a loonie tunes singer who wasted 20 years on flopped solo project.

exactly, this whole thing with AC/DC is actually selfish of him, he should be saving his voice and his energy for the GNR shows, playing a whole bunch of AC/DC shows where he is going to have to learn alot of songs and I am sure is going to try extra hard to impress the AC/DC fans is going to leave him drained by the time the GNR tour gets started

19 minutes ago, k12 said:

exactly, this whole thing with AC/DC is actually selfish of him, he should be saving his voice and his energy for the GNR shows, playing a whole bunch of AC/DC shows where he is going to have to learn alot of songs and I am sure is going to try extra hard to impress the AC/DC fans is going to leave him drained by the time the GNR tour gets started

Relax, man.  It's rock n roll!  Should we make sure he eats a good breakfast too? :)