Ok...is this worthy of discussion...slash solo tunes vesus CD

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

A nice tribute? why would Axl be tributing Weiland? If Slash or Duff want to tribute Scott at a solo gig, fire ahead! at a Gnr show? no. Outside of the situation (which is impossible for obvious reasons) that Scott died while Gnr are on tour (with Slash and Duff) but even then, I think it'd be more of a case of a word from the stage than performing a song.

^^^^:sleeper: Lets face facts, the average fan doesn't know Coma, Estranged etc. do you think they are any more entertained hearing those songs for the first time? Epic ballad (estranged) or hard rocker (Better) 9/10 average fans will choose the hard rocker. And I'm saying that and Estranged is hands down my favourite Guns song.

Also this "stick to AFD, Lies, UYI I & II" idea completely blows the arguments of the past 4/5 years out of the water... if they do that then they are unquestionably a nostalgia act. Continuing to play CD material may not go over as well as older material, but it is at least relatively new in comparison to the classic era material. AND you have to contend with the point that not everyone in the audience is going to be offended listening to CD material at a live concert, some people might be hearing it for the first time and enjoy it... not everyone at a gnr concert today was around in the beginning or followed the band throughout the late 90s into the 00s searching forums and waiting for leaks or release dates... the level of prejudice or bias is considerably lower outside of the hardcore fan circles. I'm positive there were some at vegas who didn't realise CD, This I Love and Better weren't songs written with Duff and Slash.

You say that average FAN doesn't know Coma, Estranged etc? You really call those kind of people FANS?

If you mean't a fan of music in general, they've heard these songs too. Thrust me.

41 minutes ago, ruttu69 said:

You say that average FAN doesn't know Coma, Estranged etc? You really call those kind of people FANS?

If you mean't a fan of music in general, they've heard these songs too. Thrust me.

i would expect casual fans to only know SCOM, PC, WTTJ, maybe Patience & NR, and maybe YCBM just because it was in Terminator 2. Estranged is a bit of a deep cut, but not so much because it has a music video, same with Don't Cry. Coma is a super deep cut.

Edited by Mendez
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BadApples87 said:

Slash solo tunes all day over Chinese Democracy.

The average person going to a GNR concert in 2016 does not have a clue about CD songs.  Stick to AFD, Lies, UYI 1 and 2.

Slash will do his solo stuff again with Myles in a year or two.  Chinese Democracy need not be heard from again.

Mmm, I think we have about a 50/50 chance that we will ever hear SMKC again.

I bet Slash/Axl are both curious how chinese would turn out if slash were on the tracks.

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Been discussed a ZILLION times. We really need to talk about it again?. 

Slash solo / VR = good

G N' R CD = Good

Some people think Slash solo and VR are shit, some think it's great. Some people think CD is shit, some people think it's great. End of the day! who's to say!, if you like it or hate it, that's up to you!

:sleeper:

Out of likes!!!

4 hours ago, ruttu69 said:

An average fan of music has heard Coma? What planet do you live on? Even Estranged is a bit of a stretch, but Coma especially. Even Better, Chinese Democracy, This I Love and Street Of Dreams are more popular songs than Coma. At least according to Spotify.

But yeah, to answer the question of this topic, some prefer VR songs and some prefer CD songs. CD songs are being played, because they are officially GNR songs and VR songs are not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

An average fan of music has heard Coma? What planet do you live on? Even Estranged is a bit of a stretch, but Coma especially. Even Better, Chinese Democracy, This I Love and Street Of Dreams are more popular songs than Coma. At least according to Spotify.

But yeah, to answer the question of this topic, some prefer VR songs and some prefer CD songs. CD songs are being played, because they are officially GNR songs and VR songs are not.

I live on the same planet where GN'R has sold over 100 million records. Estranged is widely known thanks to the single release, and the video. Youngsters has seen the video from youtube. If I remember correctly it has over 60 million hits on youtube.

So were you talking about fans of GN'R or what? How fucking stupid you think that fans of the band really is?

GN'R has only AFD, UYI's, CD as full albums of original music, and you really think that over the last 30 years fans has only listened wttj, scom & paradise city?

Anybody believing that the majority of convert goers-- paying upwards of $300 per ticket to see this band --  aren't familiar with most songs is delusional. I'm not saying there aren't ANY casual and clueless fans going, but they are in the vast minority. I see that being the case more so for Coachella, but not at all for the Vegas and Mexico City shows or the upcoming US tour.

I feel fairly certain that the majority of concert goers know ALL of the 87-93 era stuff, with the exception of New Rose from TSI. The CD tunes might be more hit and miss since not all old school GN'R fans followed NuGuns.

6 hours ago, ruttu69 said:

I live on the same planet where GN'R has sold over 100 million records. Estranged is widely known thanks to the single release, and the video. Youngsters has seen the video from youtube. If I remember correctly it has over 60 million hits on youtube.

So were you talking about fans of GN'R or what? How fucking stupid you think that fans of the band really is?

GN'R has only AFD, UYI's, CD as full albums of original music, and you really think that over the last 30 years fans has only listened wttj, scom & paradise city?

Don't think anyone is saying that. What I think they were saying (and what I meant too) was that a lot of people may own these albums, but a lot of people gloss through them.

Yep, there's always going to be people like us, who sit down and listen to the albums back to back, looking at the artwork, lyrics, producer, engineer, mastering engineers and thank you notes etc. However, is that the norm anymore? Has that even been the norm for the past 10yrs? Or more? I think the Spotify plays are the best indication of where the general fans heads are at. Most, not all do not care about new music or deep cuts.

Would be great if they did. I'm dying to hear Axl on Fall To Pieces or Slither. Maybe Set Me Free or You Got No Right. And I could think of some more. I also think it's great to hear Slash and Duff play CD stuff. I'd love for them to showcase more material from all their careers. Axl has as much to do with Anastacia as Slash did with TWAT. I consider it a show of mutual respect towards eachother's work as well as a hardcore fanboy's wet dream if they did. I'd love to see them celebrate all that music. No, not as 50% of a setlist. But tossing in a few oddities every now and then would be amazing. Just 1 or two spots in the setlist they can rotate. Sure there's the crowdpleasers and yes they should play more Illusion songs that haven't been played for 20 years, but there's nothing wrong but tossing one of these in every now and then too. 

It shouldn't be about ownership and what was or wasn't released under what flag. It should be about mutual admiration and celebrating the music. 

I think it's all down to whether Axl wants to. I hope he will. 

12 hours ago, Mendez said:

i would expect casual fans to only know SCOM, PC, WTTJ, maybe Patience & NR, and maybe YCBM just because it was in Terminator 2. Estranged is a bit of a deep cut, but not so much because it has a music video, same with Don't Cry. Coma is a super deep cut.

Don't Cry video has an insane amount of views on YouTube. I wouldn't call it a deep cut. Knocking On Heaven's Door is in their Top 5 most downloaded songs on iTunes. Casual fans would be the ones driving that since most diehards consider the studio version much weaker than a lot of the live versions. 

I think Slash's take on the CD tracks are good, but so far, they feel like they are being changed for the sake of letting Slash have some ownership of them. So far, I still prefer the original CD solos, as those are the so-call "original" ones. But hey. don't get me wrong. I am in no way complaining. I'm sure everyone is enjoying Slash's take on the CD songs, given the history of things which went down in the past 20 over years. Sort of like living in a parallel universe.

At this point, i'm sure that new music is on its way, as Slash is not the sort of guy who lives in the past. If there isn't a new album or sort on the table, it's unlikely for him to rejoin GnR.

Then again, there's a great deal of money involved, and we all know what money can do.

Edited by Rapidfire
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, default_ said:

If they're going to cover anything Slash did after Guns I think it should be the first Snakepit. You know, these songs are amazing and were actually written to Axl's voice, it would be fantastic. 

Yes, maybe Beggars & Hangers on. That song just cries for Axl's voice

I personally like the Velvet Revolver albums,think it would be cool if a song or 2 played were from those 2 albums.I hope their is new music on the horizon.Would make regrouping somewhat disappointing to me without it.So many years wasted ,hopefully they take advantage of time together now to get creative 

8 minutes ago, Rapidfire said:

but so far, they feel like they are being changed for the sake of letting Slash have some ownership of them.

Mind you, that's the same thing Ron did to Buckterhead and Finck, Ashba did to Buckethead and Finck and to a lesser extent Richard did to Paul and Finck. Nothing wrong with it, it's natural for any guitarist to put their own take and style on something. It's not even purposely.

Unless maybe dumbing down songs for Ashba's limited capabilities... 

Edited by username

12 hours ago, PITBOSS said:

Mmm, I think we have about a 50/50 chance that we will ever hear SMKC again.

I think the chances are better than 50/50 that Slash works with the Conspirators again. He likes to keep working as much as possible. Axl will inevitably retreat to his mansion for months/years and that will give Slash plenty of time to do Conspirators recording/touring. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

I think the chances are better than 50/50 that Slash works with the Conspirators again. He likes to keep working as much as possible. Axl will inevitably retreat to his mansion for months/years and that will give Slash plenty of time to do Conspirators recording/touring. 

Slash will keep playing with Myles. No doubt. Hell, Myles has a double schedule too, with Altar Bridge. And Duff will probably do another Loaded tour too. No reason to assume any of those things are over. They're just not doing it now. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, username said:

Mind you, that's the same thing Ron did to Buckterhead and Finck, Ashba did to Buckethead and Finck and to a lesser extent Richard did to Paul and Finck. Nothing wrong with it, it's natural for any guitarist to put their own take and style on something. It's not even purposely.

Unless maybe dumbing down songs for Ashba's limited capabilities... 

I know it's something that's common. Like I say, I'm not complaining. It's fun and interesting to listen to Slash's take on them. After all, he's THE guitarist of GnR.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

I could definitely see that happening. It could go the other way though, like what we saw with VR. He kept saying it wasn't over but it was. I guess it all depends on how this tour goes. They will probably re-evaluate at the end and either continue on or call it good.

15 minutes ago, PITBOSS said:

I could definitely see that happening. It could go the other way though, like what we saw with VR. He kept saying it wasn't over but it was. I guess it all depends on how this tour goes. They will probably re-evaluate at the end and either continue on or call it good.

There are no problems (drugs/booze) in SMKC unlike with VR so it hopefully works out that they can continue after this and the AB tours.

7 hours ago, ruttu69 said:

No we're not talking about gnr fans. You claimed that even fans of music in general have heard song like Coma. Trust me, the majority of them have not.