What Odds For A Full AFD5 Reunion Now

2 hours ago, KiernanProud said:

Have Adler and Izzy played together since the split?

They have along with Duff in 2007 as 20 year celebration of AFD while Slash was in the audience and opted not to join in order not to fuel further rumours regarding the reunion at the time...

2 to 1.

No bookies going to give 100 to 1 is it? 

He's played with them. At some point they will need to sell another tour. The AFD line up is all they have left unless Johnny Depp joins. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

It just saddens me that Axl just cannot let go of the hacks, he is too stubborn to realize no one gives a fuck about whether Fortus or Frank is there regardless of how long they have been in the band aslong as the original guys are there. Axl always justifies them with "Fortus has been 14 years in the band!". No one gives a fuck about Fortus Axl, aslong as the band is called Guns N Roses people want Izzy to have the spot. Doesnt matter if Fortus had the skills of Hendrix, it comes down to that Fortus isn't Izzy and Frank isnt Adler/Sorum. Aslong as Izzy/Adler/Sorum are alive there is no justification for anyone replacing them, unless they openly decide to decline the invitation.

A tour of just the AFD5 is what I really want to happen. Those guys playing shows, and writing an album again, that's the dream. I would bet money that Izzy would be back in the band if it was just the 5 of them again.

You seem to forget music is a business now, this whole reunion is a result of that. Axl hired Fortus and Frank and Melissa , out of respect no way in hell would he do something like fire them, or tell them to "please go find something else to do" while we wrap up this tour, which could probably never end. Honestly, he couldn't care less even if he wanted to about what we think, he has a good standing relationship with the band he currently has. And if I were in his shoes I'd certainly wouldn't start to meddle with what I have in hopes to satisfy someone else, it's his machine and that takes priority over everything else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alfierose said:

They will tease us with an solo Izzy guest appearance first and maybe another Steven one and the whole forum will be like 'Arrrghhh could you not have booked them for the same night???' :rofl-lol:

Most def. 

1 hour ago, DocArunas said:

You seem to forget music is a business now, this whole reunion is a result of that. Axl hired Fortus and Frank and Melissa , out of respect no way in hell would he do something like fire them, or tell them to "please go find something else to do" while we wrap up this tour, which could probably never end. Honestly, he couldn't care less even if he wanted to about what we think, he has a good standing relationship with the band he currently has. And if I were in his shoes I'd certainly wouldn't start to meddle with what I have in hopes to satisfy someone else, it's his machine and that takes priority over everything else.

It's true he has to go out and sing if x or y are a problem then the show will be a disaster. Steven is cool but it's a long tour. But maybe he's earning Axl's trust. 

5 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

It just saddens me that Axl just cannot let go of the hacks, he is too stubborn to realize no one gives a fuck about whether Fortus or Frank is there regardless of how long they have been in the band aslong as the original guys are there.

It saddens you because you have a selfish POV -- as do most fans. Other selfish fans might be saddened if he "let go of the hacks" and didn't show loyalty to his other musician friends that still would like to keep their jobs. This is really a no win situation for AXL when it comes to the fans.

While I'm certainly in the same camp that you are -- wanting to see the original 5 back together -- I also realize that it's not that simple.

AXL has made it clear, numerous times, that (a) this is a regrouping, not a reunion and (b) nobody, other than Steven, was ever fired from the band and that they left of their own volition.

SLASH and DUFF are back in the band because other musicians opted to leave and the positions opened up. As long as Richard and Frank want to keep their job and are able to do the job (unlike the ADLER situation circa 1990), he's going to keep them in the band. And quite honestly, he should. It's the right thing to do.

Having said that, I can easily see a reunion specific tour happening if all 5 are willing and able. In such a scenario, the other band members would naturally take a back seat -- if involved at all. But when it comes to the future of GNR, AXL is not going to fire anybody from the band unless another ADLER situation ever arises.

That's likely the cold hard truth.

We can certainly hope and expect AXL to put together a full-fledged reunion tour if such a thing becomes possible, but this current tour was never marketed as anything other than GN'R with SLASH and DUFF.

There's no proof of this, but it is my opinion that biggest reason this didn't evolve as a reunion tour is because all 5 couldn't agree to be a part of it. Had IZZY not held out for whatever reasons, we might be seeing exactly what we hoped for. But until all 5 are committed for a full-fledged reunion tour, it seems that AXL is content on rolling out the current lineup of the band -- which does include REED, FORTUS, FERRER and REESE.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 1

This tour is being talked about as the "return" of Guns N'Roses. Slash and Duff (mostly Slash) being back is what makes this different, that's the selling point. I just don't see how you can sell a tour down the road on Steven Adler and Izzy's involvement. Slash returning is the reunion as far as most people are concerned.

1 hour ago, thunderram said:

AXL has made it clear, numerous times, that (a) this is a regrouping

Who? What? Where? Nobody has said anything about this tour, but you can certainly say it is being promoted as a reunion tour.

1 hour ago, thunderram said:

SLASH and DUFF are back in the band because other musicians opted to leave and the positions opened up.

This is simply incorrect. Ashba said that he quit because he knew the reunion (regrouping - whatever you care to call it?) was happening, and Bumblefoot seems to have had information on the reunion before he quit. Stinson got essentially caught between two bands; there is no reason to suppose that if a Replacements reunion did not happen, then he would be still in Nugnr today (especially if we believe McKagan to be the pivotal figure). Pitman was certainly in the reunion to a certain chronological point, even going so far as to design some stuff for the promotion, but a few misguided comments on social media during a night on the turps led to his sacking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Who? What? Where? Nobody has said anything about this tour, but you can certainly say it is being promoted as a reunion tour.

This is simply incorrect. Ashba said that he quit because he knew the reunion (regrouping - whatever you care to call it?) was happening, and Bumblefoot seems to have had information on the reunion before he quit. Stinson got essentially caught between two bands; there is no reason to suppose that if a Replacements reunion did not happen, then he would be still in Nugnr today (especially if we believe McKagan to be the pivotal figure). Pitman was certainly in the reunion to a certain chronological point, even going so far as to design some stuff for the promotion, but a few misguided comments on social media during a night on the turps led to his sacking.

Man, I hope they listen to you, no one listens to me when I say these things :(

4 hours ago, thunderram said:

SLASH and DUFF are back in the band because other musicians opted to leave and the positions opened up. As long as Richard and Frank want to keep their job and are able to do the job (unlike the ADLER situation circa 1990), he's going to keep them in the band. And quite honestly, he should. It's the right thing to do.

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well, I'd say it's at least *partially* correct.

It's more likely to be a collision of events. Bumble, Tommy & Ashba all left of their own accord (we think... if there was talk of a reunion toward the end of their time in the band, it's entirely possible there may have been pressure to leave...) leaving the spaces opening up, as @thunderram says.

So, Duff & Slash filled those now vacant spaces, resulting in the 'hybrid' version of the band we now have. There's bound to be several reasons. Amongst those reasons, you have the fact that these are their 'rightful' positions in the band as original members, and the people previously filling these spaces are no longer in the band. Chiefly, though, animosity between them & Axl had thawed, and their personal relationships were repairing.

11 hours ago, KiernanProud said:

Have Adler and Izzy played together since the split? Every other member of the AFD 5 has played wth each other in some combination. Izzy played with VR and GNR, Adler played with Slash and Duff a couple years ago, etc. Either way I think it'll happen. Hopefully in NY (they should do a pre-MetLife Ritz gig lol)

yes.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=izzy+adler+duff+

I think it was the plan all along to do AFD30 shows next year, but even if it wasn't, Steven's appearances over the last couple of shows will surely make it inevitable now as long as Izzy is willing,

That will be it, though. If there's a recording and touring future for GNR, it will be with the current line-up carrying on Axl's vision.

I read somewhere that Izzy talked to Steven after Cincinnati.. I am sure Steven said to Izzy come on dude come play with us,, Steven has put a bug in Izzys ear..hopefully the bug has helped.. That would be awesome to see the 5 of them back on stage even for a few songs... Maybe there also holding out bringing Izzy back to see how Steven works out?  

22 hours ago, AFD5 said:

Surely somewhere down the line it's got to happen ? So far we've had a whirlwind 10 months with Slash letting it be known he & Axl were actually speaking. This sent the internet into overdrive as this was deemed impossible. When pushed if there'd be a reunion Slash answered the question but looking back now you can tell something's going on lol. Fast forward to the night of March 31st 2016 & there's a queue forming outside Tower records rumour has it that tickets are going on sale for a Guns show on April 1st (some kind of April Fools prank) But hang on they're putting up signs outside Tower records the official websites even showing the old pistols & roses logo wtf's going on it couldn't be could it ?. The morning of April 1st & there's a huge queue outside Tower records tickets go on sale there's a "secret gig" tonight at The Troubador shit just got real. Later that day the sign outside The Troubador reads Guns 'N'' Roses Not In This Lifetime a reference to a comment Axl made when asked if he & Slash would ever play together again. The anticipation was unbelievable I watched it all unfold live on the Internet here in the UK. As we now know it was Axl, Slash, Duff & others that took to the stage sneaky clips watched on youtube the following day watched by millions this really was/is a big deal. They announced a 21 date US stadium tour but there was still a slight disappointment no Izzy ? no Steven? But hey we have 3/5 of the AFD5, fast forward to Cincinatti & unbelievably Axl announces Steven Adler for 2 numbers Steven plays great he looks so happy & everyone agrees this is how Guns are supposed to sound. So with that we've now had 4/5 of the AFD5 I'm now hoping Steven's appearance can become a regular thing at the shows & hopefully one night we'll hear Axl announce "Mr Izzy Stradlin". I'm absolutely certain the stadium they're playing in would erupt & the internet would go into meltdown. It's what we all want to see the return of the AFD5 a few short months ago we could  only imagine what it would be like to see Axl & Slash sharing a stage. In fact we were told "Not in this lifetime" now we've seen 4/5 of the AFD5 play together & the happiness this has brought to so many. It's my 57th birthday on August 19th Guns play their 2nd night at the Dodgers stadium what a present that would be to see the reunion of the AFD5 what do you think guys ?

AFD5?

What is that? 

Is that a new name for GUNS N' ROSES?

1000509261001_2127498997001_BIO-Biograph

===

I find it amazing how easy it is to forget that we still do not have a Guns n Roses reunion.

All we got so far is a threeunion.

And some Adler mite for 2 songs.

And 3 aliens on stage for those 2 songs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

AFD5?

What is that? 

===

I find it amazing how easy it is to forget that we still do not have a Guns n Roses reunion.

The AFD5 are the Appetite For Destruction 5 the 5 guys that made the biggest selling debut album of all time. I take it you weren't there first time round ?

28 minutes ago, AFD5 said:

The AFD5 are the Appetite For Destruction 5 the 5 guys that made the biggest selling debut album of all time. I take it you weren't there first time round ?

last time i checked axl, izzy, slash, duff and steven = guns n roses

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

AFD5?

What is that? 

===

Izzy made a flippant comment about "original GNR" but why not have Tracii Guns and Rob Gardner (who played one show with GNR but he co-wrote Anything Goes and Hollywood Rose evolved into GNR)  who were part of the history? It's like Metallica bringing Ron McGovney out for their 30th.