06/02/17 - Lisbon, PT - Passeio Martimo De Alges

alfierose

1 hour ago, AlexC said:

What the fuck are you even talking about? No one is expecting him to sound like 1992. But people are paying top dollar and we expect him to at least give us the fucking courtesy and respect to actually rehearse enough to sound as good as he did on the NA leg as we're paying the exact same extortionate prices. I don't even mind if he can't be assed delivering his AC/DC level performances, but at least work up to the level at the beginning of this money raping NITL tour. He owes us that much.

And to everyone saying "oh stop being negative, all the reviews are great from people who attended the shows." Fuck you. It's easily pleased cunts like you who are encouraging Axl's piss poor attitude towards this tour. Don't you dare tell me that I should be satisfied with unprepared, half assed performances of Welcome to the Jungle, when I've seen what Axl is capable of first hand less than 15ft in front of me with AC/DC less than 12 months ago.

If I've payed for tickets, travel and overnight stay of an upcoming show then I'm perfectly entitled to express my distaste at Axl's obvious lack of respect for his fans by delivering subpar performances well below his capability.

The bottom line is, he's capable of this. 

And he's content to deliver this.

This is the last I'll say on this subject but it has nothing to do with age or any of that bullshit (as the evidence of this tour and AC/DC clearly show) it's purely down to effort and the amount of fucks that he does or does not give.

That jungle from Philly was close to perfection...and it was just only a year ago!

• Like 1

for anyone that thinks most are here just to spread negativity or ruin it for the real fans, just go back to a show like Houston where Axl was on and read the thread. Everyone is applauding the performance, a couple setlist request, but really when Axl is good, everyone is behind him and everyone is more than appreciative at what he's accomplishing at his age. But when he's off like he is currently then you are going to probably hear it from people who have been here and most are very critical, however it makes for some good discussion and makes the great performances something to not only look forward to but also applaud. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, AlexC said:

If I've payed for tickets, travel and overnight stay of an upcoming show then I'm perfectly entitled to express my distaste at Axl's obvious lack of respect for his fans by delivering subpar performances well below his capability.

The bottom line is, he's capable of this. 

That's the point, we all don't know what the reasons are. You presume it's a lack of respect for his fans, but fact is, we all don't know.

Maybe he has problems with his voice again, wouldn't be the first time. And it wouldn't be a surprise, especially after the AC/ DC performances and the first leg of the tour, maybe he overdid it.

You don't know either if he's capable of it, you know he was capable of it with AC/DC and in Philly, but you don't know his capabilities now.

For those reasons, I'll just presume he's doing his best every single time on stage. ;) 

Edit: Since a good performance by Axl equals rasp to many: http://blog.judyrodman.com/2012/08/the-raspy-voice-cool-sound-or-vocal.html

And this was probably linked here quite some times, but anyway: http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=13161

All summed up, it's a dangerous technique to execute.

Edited by Zurimor

17 hours ago, Litti said:

Would you rather have Axl + Izzy + Steven, NOT Slash + Duff.

I would swap Duff for Steven

My "wet dream" would be the classic lineup. But that is just a dream.:( (I've never been able to see the band live before)

When you think about what it takes to make this band Guns N' Roses (at least on some level)  Axl and Slash are the ones that you need.  They can't be replaced and still call it Gn'R. 

Izzy is my favorite one, so I  would choose him over Duff or Steven. And when it comes to Steven, I really like his drumming style. I love to watch his drumming.He clearly loves what he's doing. His substance abuse problems (which have continued far longer than any other member's of the Gn'R) do make him a bit of  a question mark and may be the reason why he's not playing more with them on this tour. (there could be other reasons too though - I have the impression that there's something between him and Axl)

What you suggested Axl+Izzy and Steven but not Slash  - I guess the answer is no (despite it means no Izzy :cry:) On the other hand If I could see Izzy live with the Ju Ju hounds for example - I could skip Gn'R and see him instead. But those are horrible choices you are asking me to make. 

3 hours ago, Zurimor said:

That's the point, we all don't know what the reasons are. You presume it's a lack of respect for his fans, but fact is, we all don't know.

Maybe he has problems with his voice again, wouldn't be the first time. And it wouldn't be a surprise, especially after the AC/ DC performances and the first leg of the tour, maybe he overdid it.

You don't know either if he's capable of it, you know he was capable of it with AC/DC and in Philly, but you don't know his capabilities now.

For those reasons, I'll just presume he's doing his best every single time on stage. ;) 

Edit: Since a good performance by Axl equals rasp to many: http://blog.judyrodman.com/2012/08/the-raspy-voice-cool-sound-or-vocal.html

And this was probably linked here quite some times, but anyway: http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=13161

All summed up, it's a dangerous technique to execute.

That lower link to the article about  history of Axl's voice problems was really eye-opening. I know that singers are completely on the mercy of their vocal cords. If a guitar breaks you can always buy a new one. But with the singing voice it's much more complicated. This is actually something that makes me feel sorry for professional singers in general.

If I have said something negative about Axl's voice - I've never meant that he sounds bad on purpose or that he doesn't care. I'm pretty sure he does the best he can every time he's on stage. And like I said before - nobody here is expecting him to sound perfect.

I'm going to see them July 1st and  I'm hoping with my fingers crossed that I don't get a bad falsetto but at least a decent performance from Axl. That's all I'm asking. If that makes me ungrateful and entitled then so be it. 

Edited by Fourteenbeers

10 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Yeah, you're probably right. My analogy sucked. I've been to plenty of baseball games that sucked, and left me pissed at what I spent.

But specifically regarding GnR, have you seen ANY posters here that have said they didn't enjoy a live NITL show? I mean hell, even Tomass is going back for more this year.

My point being- GnR is satisfying the paying customers. If someone felt they didn't get their money's worth, they haven't said so to this point...

You have to remember that there exists the general setting of a live experience - e.g. crowd, sound, fireworks etc - which can help ameliorate any musical shortcomings.

10 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Yeah, you're probably right. My analogy sucked. I've been to plenty of baseball games that sucked, and left me pissed at what I spent.

But specifically regarding GnR, have you seen ANY posters here that have said they didn't enjoy a live NITL show? I mean hell, even Tomass is going back for more this year.

My point being- GnR is satisfying the paying customers. If someone felt they didn't get their money's worth, they haven't said so to this point...

You have to remember that there exists the general setting of a live experience - e.g. crowd, sound, fireworks etc - which can help ameliorate any musical shortcomings.

20 hours ago, xBrownstonex said:

Some people here are a running gag. Its so ridiculous. You know what theyre gonna post before you see their postings and they write the excact same bullshit you'd expect them to. What a bunch of losers.

Lol the irony. 

12 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Best Jungle was Chicago night 2 for me

If that is the one I am thinking of, me too... And I have only seen it on a "shitty phone recording" where some people seem to think is not accurate.. That only applies when he isn't sounding so great.

6 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

I don't like to discuss Axl's appearance too much but that's a cool jacket, he looks good.

P.S. Black Hole Sun sounding pretty good.

agree about the jacket. The rest look kind of ridiculous but that one is pretty cool.

I decided to also post this here cause a lot of you doesn't read the women's thread and well here's my two cents :ph34r:

Hi :ph34r: I have pain all over my body, my face has sunburns but I'm still alive. So, fuck, I don't even know. I'm still kinda in a bubble of happiness and energy and adrenaline. Anyway, fast forward - waked at 5am, went to Lisbon, queue up at 11am, made some friends, listened to the soundcheck, almost lost it just listening Estranged being soundchecked, you get the idea. The doors opened at 4pm, we passed by like 5 security guys, the security was crazy, one of the security ladies took everything out of my backpack, I had to throw my two tiny cereal bars and my bottle of water in the bin, which is not normal at all, they usually let us in concerts with the bottle of water without the stopper. So after spending like 10 minutes with security, I ran for my life, thinking that I probably need to quit smoking, but that in that moment I just had to keep running, even out of breath. And then there I was: front row, center-right. I couldn't believe it: never in my wildest dreams I thought I would make it. But, well, I did and the moment Slash hits the stage, stops right in front of me, playing like a maniac and I realized that he is real indeed, that he exists in real life and was just mere inches from me, I almost passed out. But I kept my shit together and screamed Easy with an Axl in a fancy new jacket and a security guard frowning his brows at the line 'Fuck Off' and all the people giving the finger. It was funny :P

So, let's start with Axl, shall we? It's energy. Pure energy. He was so into it. He seemed so happy. His voice was rough at times but all that energy and moves it makes you forget when the voice is not quite so good. The screams were amazing.  The waves to the crowd and smiles and jumping and mimics of the girls screaming at him are beautiful to see. I'll always remember that image of him with green eyes wide open, screaming his lungs out, all red, sweating so much and cleaning the sweat out of his face with that kind of glove he wears. He gave his all. Sometimes I'm critical of his voice, because he could do so much better if he rehearsed, but on stage, he doesn't phony it. Everything he has he leaves on that stage. He snake danced. I mean for real, even when Slash was soloing he was snake dancing. One thing that will sound stupid, but it happens to me: sometimes I'm seeing Axl performing on videos and it seems like it's a total different guy from the Axl from the 80's-90's. Yesterday, with his facial expressions and the way he moves, I was just like 'Yep, it's still him. That's Axl Rose'. I had seen him with AC/DC with the broken foot and although his voice was better there, the energy I felt yesterday coming from him was not there. He's a frontman, his presence alone commands the crowd. It's a natural thing, you can't take your eyes off him. When he stepped on the monitors for the final of LALD with the mic stand above his head I was amazed. Fuckin shit. I fell in love with him again, I think :P Also he's not fat at all. Sure he has a noticeable belly and some double chins, but he looks good, he looks really good and those eyes :drool:

Duff. What a strong presence on stage. He doesn't do much, he wanders from one side of the stage to the other, but, man, he fuckin locks eyes with the crowd, it seems he's seeing through your heart. I'm pretty sure I had a moment with him last night. He was in front of me in the intro of YCBM and I was with my arms in the air, singing the guitar line and I swear to god he locked eyes with me. It felt like it was just me and him rocking in those 5 seconds. If it didn't happen, Duff, and I imagined it all, please let me live with this fantasy, because when someone asks me in 20 years what I remember of this show, I'll say 'Me and Duff, we locked eyes' :dance:Shout out to Susan Holmes Mckagan, she was at the rail taking pics and she is the sweetest. So nice with the fans. Way to go, Ned!

SLASH. HOLY FUCKIN SHIT. I wasn't prepared for this, I wasn't. He's god, he's everything. He's the star of this reunion, the star of the show, the star of all the rock n' roll world. 'In a world that he did not create, but he'd go through it as if it was his own makin', you know this? It's this but also so much more. His body moves in sync with the guitar, it's like he blends with the guitar and the guitar sounds. You can't look away. It's art you're seeing right there, it blows you away. I just wanted to jump on the stage and kidnap him :P  He played almost all solos in front of me, but the November Rain outro was really special. He started at the end of the stage, we couldn't see him but then he came right in front of us, puts the guitar upright over his knee and does that solo. Shit. And Patience. Patience with the acoustic guitar, with him sitting on a monitor, tearing that guitar apart, it was one the most beautiful things I've ever saw in my life. And his solo: he was in the middle of Godfather, with his mouth open in a silent wailing like the one he was doing with the guitar and then he started drooling, like really drooling, saliva running from his mouth down to his chin, down to his shirt. He just kept his mouth open and kept soloing. It could have been disgusting, but it was magical. He never stopped, it seemed that nothing was happening with him, besides his fingers moving on that guitar. He's mind blowing. I want to sit him in my couch and make him play for me 24/7. I found myself a lot of time closing my eyes during the solos, just to open them really fast, because he was in front of me. I also stared a lot, leaned on the fences, just looking at him and also drooling. I don't have words. Go see Slash :wub:

Ok more things:
- Slaxl. Not a lot of it. But I caught some glimpses. Axl touches Slash's back a lot, like for just letting him know he's there. One time he touched Slash's arm and Slash leaned his head near his shoulder. And the thing: Axl closed his eyes during Slash first or second solo on November Rain, can't remember. It warmed my heart :wub: 
- Cute Axl: 'I never really wanted to live' and then he shrugs and makes the cutest face you can ever think about. 
- Slortus: What's the thing with these two? There was this attitude of best buddies. When Axl gets on stage to do 'Layla' he says something like they would keep going with the guitar solos and both Slash and Fortus cross their arms, lean into each other and make funny faces. Also at the end of some song I can't remember they were each one at each side of the stage and started to step near each other, with big steps, like they were in a duel. Funny, actually.
-Out Ta Get Me: I think Axl said something about Izzy that I couldn't understand. Maybe it was Dizzy or Lizzy. Whatever. If anyone can find a vid of the beginning of OTGM for me to figure it out, I would be very happy :P And 'TAKE THAT ONE TO YOUR MOTHERFUCKIN PORTUGUESE HEARTS' or whatever he said is my motto from now on.
-Songs: LALD is amazing live, the screams, the fireworks, the guitar... and so is Nightrain. On Nightrain Slash loses it, it's amazing to watch. He also loses it in Coma. I lost it on Estranged, huge effort to not start crying like a baby - Slash is god, did I ever tell you? Rocket Queen was my biggest disappointment, it loses all its groove with those guitar solos and shredding, one of my fav GN'R songs and I was bored. Paradise City, confettis , fireworks, smoke on the stage, you can't see shit and then between the smoke, Slash playing guitar behind his back. Doesn't get any better than this. It's also a song that pumps energy right into your heart. I always moan about Axl singing over the guitar part at the beginning, last night I sang over the guitar with him :shrugs:
-Whole Lotta Rosie: Picture me at the end of Patience with all its beauty preparing myself to go through the fucken Zika and they give me WLR. First I love the song, second it gave me memories of Axl sing it with AC/DC at the exact same venue. And then Axl gets really happy, his face lights up. Man really loves his AC/DC. Also Slash did the duck walk. He knows how to plays his cards.
-This is the end: 1- Axl and Slash come to the final bow together and chatting 2- Slash has  a bottle of water, drinks a bit and throws the bottle, all the water ends up in my face, the girl next to me grabs the bottle and keep it. My face was still wet and the bottle didn't end up with me. Shame on you Slash. 3- Axl was leaving the stage and the crowd started a 'oh-oh-oh-oh' chant, Axl turns around, take the hat off and bows again. Beautiful to see.  4- Slash handstand. Yup, he did it. The tophat didn't fell :P 

Edited by dgnr
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

If that is the one I am thinking of, me too... And I have only seen it on a "shitty phone recording" where some people seem to think is not accurate.. That only applies when he isn't sounding so great.

agree about the jacket. The rest look kind of ridiculous but that one is pretty cool.

I was there. He was so good that show

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dgnr said:

I decided to also post this here cause a lot of you doesn't read the women's thread and well here's my two cents :ph34r:

Hi :ph34r: I have pain all over my body, my face has sunburns but I'm still alive. So, fuck, I don't even know. I'm still kinda in a bubble of happiness and energy and adrenaline. Anyway, fast forward - waked at 5am, went to Lisbon, queue up at 11am, made some friends, listened to the soundcheck, almost lost it just listening Estranged being soundchecked, you get the idea. The doors opened at 4pm, we passed by like 5 security guys, the security was crazy, one of the security ladies took everything out of my backpack, I had to throw my two tiny cereal bars and my bottle of water in the bin, which is not normal at all, they usually let us in concerts with the bottle of water without the stopper. So after spending like 10 minutes with security, I ran for my life, thinking that I probably need to quit smoking, but that in that moment I just had to keep running, even out of breath. And then there I was: front row, center-right. I couldn't believe it: never in my wildest dreams I thought I would make it. But, well, I did and the moment Slash hits the stage, stops right in front of me, playing like a maniac and I realized that he is real indeed, that he exists in real life and was just mere inches from me, I almost passed out. But I kept my shit together and screamed Easy with an Axl in a fancy new jacket and a security guard frowning his brows at the line 'Fuck Off' and all the people giving the finger. It was funny :P

So, let's start with Axl, shall we? It's energy. Pure energy. He was so into it. He seemed so happy. His voice was rough at times but all that energy and moves it makes you forget when the voice is not quite so good. The screams were amazing.  The waves to the crowd and smiles and jumping and mimics of the girls screaming at him are beautiful to see. I'll always remember that image of him with green eyes wide open, screaming his lungs out, all red, sweating so much and cleaning the sweat out of his face with that kind of glove he wears. He gave his all. Sometimes I'm critical of his voice, because he could do so much better if he rehearsed, but on stage, he doesn't phony it. Everything he has he leaves on that stage. He snake danced. I mean for real, even when Slash was soloing he was snake dancing. One thing that will sound stupid, but it happens to me: sometimes I'm seeing Axl performing on videos and it seems like it's a total different guy from the Axl from the 80's-90's. Yesterday, with his facial expressions and the way he moves, I was just like 'Yep, it's still him. That's Axl Rose'. I had seen him with AC/DC with the broken foot and although his voice was better there, the energy I felt yesterday coming from him was not there. He's a frontman, his presence alone commands the crowd. It's a natural thing, you can't take your eyes off him. When he stepped on the monitors for the final of LALD with the mic stand above his head I was amazed. Fuckin shit. I fell in love with him again, I think :P Also he's not fat at all. Sure he has a noticeable belly and some double chins, but he looks good, he looks really good and those eyes :drool:

Duff. What a strong presence on stage. He doesn't do much, he wanders from one side of the stage to the other, but, man, he fuckin locks eyes with the crowd, it seems he's seeing through your heart. I'm pretty sure I had a moment with him last night. He was in front of me in the intro of YCBM and I was with my arms in the air, singing the guitar line and I swear to god he locked eyes with me. It felt like it was just me and him rocking in those 5 seconds. If it didn't happen, Duff, and I imagined it all, please let me live with this fantasy, because when someone asks me in 20 years what I remember of this show, I'll say 'Me and Duff, we locked eyes' :dance:Shout out to Susan Holmes Mckagan, she was at the rail taking pics and she is the sweetest. So nice with the fans. Way to go, Ned!

SLASH. HOLY FUCKIN SHIT. I wasn't prepared for this, I wasn't. He's god, he's everything. He's the star of this reunion, the star of the show, the star of all the rock n' roll world. 'In a world that he did not create, but he'd go through it as if it was his own makin', you know this? It's this but also so much more. His body moves in sync with the guitar, it's like he blends with the guitar and the guitar sounds. You can't look away. It's art you're seeing right there, it blows you away. I just wanted to jump on the stage and kidnap him :P  He played almost all solos in front of me, but the November Rain outro was really special. He started at the end of the stage, we couldn't see him but then he came right in front of us, puts the guitar upright over his knee and does that solo. Shit. And Patience. Patience with the acoustic guitar, with him sitting on a monitor, tearing that guitar apart, it was one the most beautiful things I've ever saw in my life. And his solo: he was in the middle of Godfather, with his mouth open in a silent wailing like the one he was doing with the guitar and then he started drooling, like really drooling, saliva running from his mouth down to his chin, down to his shirt. He just kept his mouth open and kept soloing. It could have been disgusting, but it was magical. He never stopped, it seemed that nothing was happening with him, besides his fingers moving on that guitar. He's mind blowing. I want to sit him in my couch and make him play for me 24/7. I found myself a lot of time closing my eyes during the solos, just to open them really fast, because he was in front of me. I also stared a lot, leaned on the fences, just looking at him and also drooling. I don't have words. Go see Slash :wub:

Ok more things:
- Slaxl. Not a lot of it. But I caught some glimpses. Axl touches Slash's back a lot, like for just letting him know he's there. One time he touched Slash's arm and Slash leaned his head near his shoulder. And the thing: Axl closed his eyes during Slash first or second solo on November Rain, can't remember. It warmed my heart :wub: 
- Cute Axl: 'I never really wanted to live' and then he shrugs and makes the cutest face you can ever think about. 
- Slortus: What's the thing with these two? There was this attitude of best buddies. When Axl gets on stage to do 'Layla' he says something like they would keep going with the guitar solos and both Slash and Fortus cross their arms, lean into each other and make funny faces. Also at the end of some song I can't remember they were each one at each side of the stage and started to step near each other, with big steps, like they were in a duel. Funny, actually.
-Out Ta Get Me: I think Axl said something about Izzy that I couldn't understand. Maybe it was Dizzy or Lizzy. Whatever. If anyone can find a vid of the beginning of OTGM for me to figure it out, I would be very happy :P And 'TAKE THAT ONE TO YOUR MOTHERFUCKIN PORTUGUESE HEARTS' or whatever he said is my motto from now on.
-Songs: LALD is amazing live, the screams, the fireworks, the guitar... and so is Nightrain. On Nightrain Slash loses it, it's amazing to watch. He also loses it in Coma. I lost it on Estranged, huge effort to not start crying like a baby - Slash is god, did I ever tell you? Rocket Queen was my biggest disappointment, it loses all its groove with those guitar solos and shredding, one of my fav GN'R songs and I was bored. Paradise City, confettis , fireworks, smoke on the stage, you can't see shit and then between the smoke, Slash playing guitar behind his back. Doesn't get any better than this. It's also a song that pumps energy right into your heart. I always moan about Axl singing over the guitar part at the beginning, last night I sang over the guitar with him :shrugs:
-Whole Lotta Rosie: Picture me at the end of Patience with all its beauty preparing myself to go through the fucken Zika and they give me WLR. First I love the song, second it gave me memories of Axl sing it with AC/DC at the exact same venue. And then Axl gets really happy, his face lights up. Man really loves his AC/DC. Also Slash did the duck walk. He knows how to plays his cards.
-This is the end: 1- Axl and Slash come to the final bow together and chatting 2- Slash has  a bottle of water, drinks a bit and throws the bottle, all the water ends up in my face, the girl next to me grabs the bottle and keep it. My face was still wet and the bottle didn't end up with me. Shame on you Slash. 3- Axl was leaving the stage and the crowd started a 'oh-oh-oh-oh' chant, Axl turns around, take the hat off and bows again. Beautiful to see.  4- Slash handstand. Yup, he did it. The tophat didn't fell :P 

That was a long post. I'm really glad that you had a great  time at the gig. I guess the

Spoiler

Three Stooges

have won you over. :lol:

• Like 1

I just watched the madrid show on fucking youtube- It sounded Amazing - AXL fucking killed it - his voice is more than ok its spectacular so far on this leg of the tour - SLASH is playing even better than the last leg - I can't believe I just said that but DAMN- MOFO brings it and brings it hard - FORTUS and SLASH are a match made perfect - Richard is a bad MOFO too - Frank is playing with a groove - he  has improved the most and now its showing - this is not a slight on him - he was playing  with buckethead- bumbleweed- DJ Ashba - fuck he realizes this is fucking SLASH and DUFF - Frank knew he had to pick up his game and he has - DUFF is fucking terrific - his playing is off the charts - bad MOFO - cant wait till I see this gig @winston -salem NC - I cant fucking wait - It will be my 5th time seeing GNR since 1991 but my 4 friends that are going have never seen them - it was a birthday suprise to one them who said before he dies he wants to see GNR - those 4 are in the for the best gig of their lives - I cant fucking wait rip again to SLASH AND AXL---GNFNR 

Edited by TMAC20