"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

29 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I wasn't rocked to my core like some people seem to be. But it's a deceptively simple sardonic film which achieves what it set out to do.

5/5 small quirky film not a 5/5 all time great.

But I agree on the casting. I don't like the main actress.

I liked the film too, found it very funny in a very absurd way. I agree it's not a film that will stay with me for ages, but it was a fun watch.

I loved the main actress, but I've only seen her in The Queen's Gambit and now The Menu and it seemed to me she played it in a similar way.

We saw All Quiet on the Western Front last weekend too. What a depressing watch. Being from Belgium, I have visited the WWI museums and cemetaries, I know how awful the trenches were, but jesus, just imagine sitting there for years, now and then running out and trying to advance to the next trenches, how hopeless and pointless it all was, on both sides.

It was an impressive movie, and I love that there's none of the hero BS we usually see in war films. (Granted, hard to have German heroes in any world war movie.) But it shows that in a war everyone loses and every soldier is just a pawn in an evil game played by assholes. Ugh. And German soldiers were just misguided boys for the most part too, just the same as the 'good ones'.

Also a very valuable lesson that's worth repeating: if you want to gloat too much as the 'winner' or punish the other party too much, you only create a country of (mostly innocent and powerless) people who will see nothing but enemies and have nothing to lose, and that's very dangerous. Looking at the world today, we still haven't learnt.

2 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

I wasn't rocked to my core like some people seem to be. But it's a deceptively simple sardonic film which achieves what it set out to do.

5/5 small quirky film not a 5/5 all time great.

But I agree on the casting. I don't like the main actress.

just to be clear, I personally like Anya Taylor-Joy, she's the main actress in The Witch and other good shit, but here, I didn't like her performance at all.

Edited by Rovim

10 hours ago, Rovim said:

saw it a few weeks ago I think. Enjoyable, but not for me. I don't care for Alfred Hitchcock influenced works in most cases. I like that it allows Ralph Fiennes, one of my favorties, the chance to give such a fun performance, was worth a watch just for that, but I don't like the script, I don't like the casting (for this film) except Fiennes, and I just didn't buy it generally. The ridiculous vibe of it was a turn off after the movie was over if that makes sense cause the structure of the movie is very efficient with good pacing.

When the woman was in the main house she saw pictures of the main chef's family and him serving a burger, that's how she knew to ask him for a burger, but I would have liked to have learned more? What happened to his wife and child? did they die, did they leave him? Had to be something very bad for him to become so jaded and wanting to die along with those other people.

6 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

I don't think she did a bad job I just didn't like her for no particular reason. Everyone says The Queen's Gambit is amazing, is it? Maybe I should give it a chance but I feel like I can safely guess the plot.

Haven't seen 'All Quiet on the Western Front' either but yeah the trench warfare sounds brutal. I remember hearing a haunting description of soldiers stuck waist deep in the muddy battlefield flailing around screaming in a shellshock induced madness as bombs fell. A real hellscape.

I recommend the Tom Cruise WW2 film 'Valkyrie'. It tells the tale of some brave Germans who were against Hitler and tried to assassinate him. The ending made me burst into tears.

"You did not bear the shame. You resisted. Sacrificing your life for freedom, justice and honour."

- From the German Resistance Memorial, Berlin

Valkyrie was excellent. Too bad it's didn't work, but those Germans were very brave to try.

22 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

When the woman was in the main house she saw pictures of the main chef's family and him serving a burger, that's how she knew to ask him for a burger, but I would have liked to have learned more? What happened to his wife and child? did they die, did they leave him? Had to be something very bad for him to become so jaded and wanting to die along with those other people.

there is an icon in the shape of an eye, you click it before posting spoilers. Please use it. Why? cause maybe other people that read your posts have yet to see the movie. In this case, "The Menu". 

you often describe big chunks of movies and sometimes even the end of the movie. Not what you're suppose to do in a movie or tv thread.

23 hours ago, Rovim said:

there is an icon in the shape of an eye, you click it before posting spoilers. Please use it. Why? cause maybe other people that read your posts have yet to see the movie. In this case, "The Menu". 

you often describe big chunks of movies and sometimes even the end of the movie. Not what you're suppose to do in a movie or tv thread.

Sorry I didn't know that. I have a bad habit of not reading stuff.

Anyway, if anyone can figure it out let me know about The Menu

On 2/22/2023 at 2:47 AM, Oldest Goat said:

A Knock at the Cabin

3.8/5

I enjoyed the fucked up vibe of the Twilight Zone esque situation. The acting and filming was really good. But I dunno I feel in a way it wasn't messy enough. It needed to be a bit more messy and have more ambiguity. It felt too decisive/linear and the result for me basically diminished things to "Oooh fucked up situation, amirite?! Then and then and then ROLL CREDITS."

I don't hate M.Night but I guess I'm not his biggest fan either.

I saw this movie last night. M. is back. Very good vibe I agree. Nice twists too. And Dave (Leonard) played an amazing character. Out of the norm of his other movies. I really felt his emotions. Very good. 

10 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Ghost in the Shell (1995)

5/5

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (2004)

5/5

@Rovim

I find it almost impossible to watch anything animated and enjoy it in recent years. Just happened one day. I think it's the lack of real human self expression, mainly the face of an actor and what they can do with it to make me believe it enough? don't really know.

there are exceptions, always wanted to see Ghost In The Shell, I like the style and the sotry (watched a few scenes and it looks cool)

I also watched some studio Ghibli scenes from various movies. It was great, but I couldn't watch a full movie.

I think I'll give it a shot anyway, thanks.

@Oldest Goat took a few hits from a joint and watched Ghost In The Shell. lol that's a masterpiece right there.

btw, I don't think The Whale is a masterpiece, but I love it, and he can just channel his sad sack nature and convey so much emotion, no other actor could have played that role like that imo. It's still a 5/5 movie as you tend to grade it. Probably gonna watch Ghost In The Shell ll from 2004 as well. Was a good suggestion.

15 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

It's quite a bleak serious film so I can understand someone finding it difficult.

Yeah very true. Loved all the animals though.  But Ireland looks so beautiful. I think I would like to live in a town where you know everyone and the simple life, but if your best friend doesn't want to talk to you anymore, that would be so depressing.  And the whole finger thing. Wow!

11 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

'The Predator' (2018)

3.7/5

It would be an upper 4 rating had it not fumbled by being waaay too jokey. It should have had a more serious tone and allocated comic relief to mostly just the two characters that suited that. In its defense most of the jokes landed they just overdid it to the point it was a Comedy Action film instead of what it should've been, an Action Horror with some comedy.

Also, I would've changed the ending to it turns out the Jumbo Predator was actually trying to help humanity by retrieving the first Predator's parcel - because *drum roll* it contains an Alien egg, enter Horror Action sequel: 'Aliens Earth'.

I liked this movie. I wondered if there would be a sequel to it, so that guy can use that cool suite?

Anyway, did you see "Prey". It was a cool take on when the Predator came at a different year in US history.

On 3/13/2023 at 2:59 PM, Oldest Goat said:

Haven't seen it yet but I plan to.

All Quiet on the Western Front (2022)

5/5

What can I say? Those in favour of war are all mankind's mortal enemy.

I agree about war. This is about WWI right? Every war is horrible, yet man still does it. I doubt human kind will ever learn. We are war like creatures and there's always some bastard who will want war no matter the cause. 

The world's history is founded on blood and still is. Every country has blood on their hands and it continues to happen.

The strong have to punish the weak or they want what they have.  Whoever made the human race a God or just science dropped the ball with human nature. It depends on the circumstance, but I think we are all capable of war and killing. Shameful, but true.