Slash on "Jungle": "I had that riff and Axl got those lyrics together. Then the band sort of arranged it. It was really the first thing we all collaborated on. It’s really a combination of everybody’s input"

Slash on how Welcome to the Jungle was put together:

"I was at my house and I had that riff happening and Axl came over and he got those lyrics together, and then the band sort of arranged it. We got an arrangement for the whole band, 'cause that's how we work. Someone comes in with an idea and someone else has input and in that way everyone's happy. That came together really quickly too, that was arranged in one day. It was really the first thing we all collaborated on. And it’s really a combination of everybody’s input."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/features/complete_guide_to_gnr_welcome_to_the_jungle.html

1*eSbEMGNsngJ--3gtIHWA_g.jpeg

Edited by ludurigan
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Anthony Kiedis said once the struggle is gone becoming rich and successful makes you unable to write great songs.

But many songwriters have wrote great tunes when they were old, rich, and satisfied. It's true that personal struggle, turmoil, and just pain can fuel inspiration but you can be inspire by literally anything.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rovim said:

But many songwriters have wrote great tunes when they were old, rich, and satisfied. It's true that personal struggle, turmoil, and just pain can fuel inspiration but you can be inspire by literally anything.

Considering that Axl is a tormented rock n roller, I can feel why he struggled to come up with fresh lyrics after the band broke up. It wasn't glorious and all he got was heartbreaks. When Zakk said back in '96 that Axl didn't want to write lyrics because of all his trials he ultimately wrote I.R.S. afterwhile. And that's not the Axl we used to know.

But now could his lyrics be relevant enough? It's hard to believe him when he claimed something like:

" I think that it is all kind of like right in the back of your head about how you're gonna to attack the next songs and stuff so part of me feels like I'm happy I didn't write things a year ago to something because… I feel like when I go at it now will be stronger."

2 minutes ago, wasted said:

Paradise City? 

My Michelle must be a Slash riff even though Izzy wrote the intro. 

Marc Canter explained in one of his interviews that Izzy came first with a part of the My Michell riff but Slash extended it to what became that riff used on the album.

You might be right with PC and I'm mistaken it with RQ. Not that sure anymore.

1 minute ago, Free Bird said:

Marc Canter explained in one of his interviews that Izzy came first with a part of the My Michell riff but Slash extended it to what became that riff used on the album.

You might be right with PC and I'm mistaken it with RQ. Not that sure anymore.

That's how a lot of AFD songs were done. Even Anything Goes seems like Slash developed from the Hollywood Rose version. Slash said he reworked Easy a lot too. 

I think Rocket started as a Duff Steven jam? 

I'm pretty sure Duff said in his book about the PC riff. 

Overall though only Think about you is seen as an Izzy song. 

On UYI a lot of songs I thought were Slash are Izzy. Perfect Crime and RNDTH. 

2 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

No it was It's So Easy. Duff sang lead and it was like a 60s surf song with a very happy vibe until Slash "raped it" in his words.

I think Duff also brought the PC riff too. But they all become Slash songs in a way. Some of the credits on UYI are a little harsh too. But Slash came up with that system for the credits. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wasted said:

I think Duff also brought the PC riff too. But they all become Slash songs in a way. Some of the credits on UYI are a little harsh too. But Slash came up with that system for the credits. 

Dunno about PC, thought they all wrote that together in a van. But I know a jam Duff did with Slash and Steven or Izzy in 1985, one of their first sessions, the riff of what would become RQ came out.

Edit: Actually Slash stole the riff from PC from a Sabbath song named Zero The Hero, he said that song inspired the riff. So I don't think that was Duff. Or you mean the intro?

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

18 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

No it was It's So Easy. Duff sang lead and it was like a 60s surf song with a very happy vibe until Slash "raped it" in his words.

West Arkeen helped with the guitar job in ISE with Duff

7 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Dunno about PC, thought they all wrote that together in a van. But I know a jam Duff did with Slash and Steven or Izzy in 1985, one of their first sessions, the riff of what would become RQ came out.

RQ riff came at the time Slash, Duff and Adler were in Road Crew.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Edit: Actually Slash stole the riff from PC from a Sabbath song named Zero The Hero, he said that song inspired the riff. So I don't think that was Duff. Or you mean the intro?

I read the wikipedia entry too. Somewhere Duff says a riff came from one of his old bands. And that he and Slash have different memories. I think it was in Duff's first book. I remember this because I gave Slash the Jungle and PC riffs. But PC got taken away. But I still wonder if Duff was remembering it right. It seemed unecessaery to bring it. But now I have go back and check. I'm probably completly wrong again. 

It was the Jungle riff that Duff says he had used in another band prior to GN'R. The song was called The Fake and he recorded it with a band called Vains. 

The Rocket Queen riff spawned out of a jam that Duff, Slash and Steven did with the band Road Crew also prior to Guns (according to Slash's book)

The Paradise City intro and chorus was apparently written while the band was on the road back to LA after the had played a gig in San Francisco (also according to Slash's book)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

It was the Jungle riff that Duff says he had used in another band prior to GN'R. The song was called The Fake and he recorded it with a band called Vains. 

The Rocket Queen riff spawned out of a jam that Duff, Slash and Steven did with the band Road Crew also prior to Guns (according to Slash's book)

The Paradise City intro and chorus was apparently written while the band was on the road back to LA after the had played a gig in San Francisco (also according to Slash's book)

I thought it was the breakdown of jungle that was lifted from the vains song. Dafuq, I remember hearing that. Maybe that was Slashs recollection and it's wrong. It sure does sound like an early version of the jungle riff.

• Like 1

Fuck, I just skated over a page about The Fake. I found this Paradise part where he says they starting working on a song based off lyrics he brought from Seattle that became Paradise City. 

Also read about Black Randy. 

But that's it, Slash only wrote the intro to Jungle. 

Edited by wasted

I found it. It's in a section which written very mysteriously. It doesn't directly say I wrote the Jungle riff. But it says the main section of the song hurtled along atop the riff from my Vains song The Fake. So I'm not sure if Duff wrote the riff or not, he wrote a riff which he played on bass or that is the Jungle riff. He also compares the My Michelle riff to Slash's Jungle intro riff. So nothing is clear to me now!