GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

I LOVED Axl's rock opera god voice in Better at Apollo.  L.O.V.E.D  Want him to do eeeeet all the time for that song - was the best thing about it!  @killuridols  Agree. I'm not a fan of any of the CD songs live, expect maybe CD.   Sorry loses all of its intensity and drama.  Better is hit and miss.  With the exception of a few songs, I don't think CD lends itself to live play.  It's most definitely a studio concept album imo.  I'd like to hear Riad live though, the demo version.  I think they could do a good job of that.  

24 minutes ago, killuridols said:

OMG no please :scared:

Isn't it the same voice he used to record "I Don't Care About You" on The Spaghetti Incident? or sort of....

At the Apollo show thread I commented that voice reminded me of Steven Tyler when he sings "Dream On" live... he does that voice sometimes as well but I don't think its cool to use for an entire song, just a couple lines is ok.

Anyway, Better live is a disgrace. I don't like any version of it. The album version still wins all over (IMO).

Are we talking about the same thing? :suspicious: I don't know how exactly Steven Tyler sings Dream On these days, but I wasn't talking about the high screachy bits, but the lines he sings really deep. It also doesn't really sound like "I Don't Care About You" to me (which I dislike).

I was only talking about the first time(s) he sings "now I know you better, you know I know better" during the chorus (he then repeats the "now I know you better" line in a less pleasant, screachy tone of voice.)

Like from 3:09 to 3:13 in this video (and also from 2:14 to 2:18).

I'm really digging what he's doing there and I want more of it, its sounds really awesome to me.

9 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Madagascar used to be good live 

Yeah. SoD (or The Blues as it was called then) was pretty good too imo.

Bring back Madagascar and The Blues :max:

Edited by Frey

4 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

@killuridols  Agree. I'm not a fan of any of the CD songs live, expect maybe CD.   Sorry loses all of its intensity and drama.  Better is hit and miss.  With the exception of a few songs, I don't think CD lends itself to live play.  It's most definitely a studio concept album imo.  I'd like to hear Riad live though, the demo version.  I think they could do a good job of that.  

When I saw him live with nuGN'R the setlist was heavily composed of CD songs and I thought he sounded great and the band was awesome too but now.... his voice is fuckin' weak, goes out of tune all the time, Sorry is one of my favs from CD but he sings it as if he had not eaten for an entire week :ph34r:

Probably This I Love is the only one he makes an effort to sing it with a better voice, but the rest are just awful.

Here are some videos from my personal VAULT, a collection I've acquired throughout the years. Nothing from the reunion can beat these live versions:

:headbang:

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Frey said:

Are we talking about the same thing? :suspicious: I don't know how exactly Steven Tyler sings Dream On these days, but I wasn't talking about the high screachy bits, but the lines he sings really deep. It also doesn't really sound like "I Don't Care About You" to me (which I dislike).

I was only talking about the first time(s) he sings "now I know you better, you know I know better" during the chorus (he then repeats the "now I know you better" line in a less pleasant, screachy tone of voice.)

Like from 3:09 to 3:13 in this video (and also from 2:14 to 2:18).

Yes, we are talking about the same thing. Everybody noticed that voice because he never sang like that before.

Not sure if Steven still sings the song like that. I saw him last year but I can barely remember I was singing myself all the time :lol:

But here's what I'm talking about. The same thing Axl did in "Better". I put the mark at 3.24 and he does it again from 3.37 until 3.43 and at 3.55 he sings all the lines with that "demon" voice. You can put the song from the beginning and notice he doesn't start singing it like that.

Edited by killuridols
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Yes, we are talking about the same thing. Everybody noticed that voice because he never sang like that before.

Not sure if Steven still sings the song like that. I saw him last year but I can barely remember I was singing myself all the time :lol:

But here's what I'm talking about. The same thing Axl did in "Better". I put the mark at 3.24 and he does it again from 3.37 until 3.43 and at 3.55 he sings all the lines with that "demon" voice. You can put the song from the beginning and notice he doesn't start singing it like that.

Huh okay, never heard Steven Tyler sing like that. I get what you mean now, but I still think Axl sounds really awesome when he does that, while this Dream On doesn't really impress me.

So Axl's never done that again since the Apollo show?

8 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I seriously want them to play Oh My God. I will forever be obsessed with that song :lol:

I would like that too.

In fact I would like Slash and Duff to add their touches to the song (or to even completely rework it) to make the song as great as it deserves to be.

That song has so much potential, there's just a tiny something missing from it somehow.

2 hours ago, Frey said:

These last couple of posts hurt my brain, they don't even make sense :scared:

Anyway, our lovely mod said to drop it so I have a question for those who have been following or attending the shows:

Axl's demon voice.

The thing he did during Better at the Apollo show.

Did he ever do that again? Does he sing Better like that at every show now or was it a one-off thing?

Because I thought that was really cool. Sounded "better" than anything I've heard from him in a long time. Really powerful and operatic?

Tbh, I wish he would sing entire songs like that.

Or record new songs with that voice.

I miss his 80's voice and wish he could use it again.

When I talk about 80's, I'm talking about this:

32 minutes ago, Frey said:

I would like that too.

In fact I would like Slash and Duff to add their touches to the song (or to even completely rework it) to make the song as great as it deserves to be.

That song has so much potential, there's just a tiny something missing from it somehow.

I'm not sure I would actually like it if they completely reworked it, I have become so attached to it over time that it's in my permanent top three of GnR songs along with Estranged and Coma. 

If Slash could give it a decent solo, then I'd be happy with just that. 

8 minutes ago, penelope said:

Has GNR ever played  "Since I don´t have you" in one of their concerts?   I think it would suit Axl´s  voice nowadays  and it is my fav cover by them...

I don't remember seeing a full version but he has sung the beginning a few times back in the day

Edited by janrichmond

8 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

@killuridols Thanks for posting all the vids, I'm going to settle in for the rest of the night and watch those! 

I wish Guns would do Crash Diet.  Amazing song and vocals, even with the shitty demo/YT quality.  I wonder why they never did anything with it?

Awesome! Enjoy it ;)

I recommend you watching the whole show from Budapest 2010 since it is one of the best shows of the nuGN'R era.

Crash Diet is a song that belongs to West Arkeen and I think they never recorded it because it didn't fit the AFD sound at the least.

4 minutes ago, purplestargirl said:

Duff is handsome no matter what he wears. He reminds me of Axl in that sense of pulling off outfits and still looking good.

I know, right? ^^ Only time I haven't like Duff's style is when he was wearing the full-on heavy makeup, full-on teased hair and basically 'drag' type clothing in the very early days for those RJ photo shoots.  

I honestly could look at their photos all day.  I just find them incredibly interesting as individuals.

My favourite photos are the candid ones - never the photoshoots - but the ones taken spontaneously, or in their natural environment, capturing an unguarded moment, or showing something real...something unexpected...that's what I look for anyway.  I kinda wish there was a photo thread, as in a dedicated photo appreciation thread for the whole band. :lol: