British Politics

Gracii Guns

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Agreed. He is playing a blinder. It is hilarious watching remainers flap.

What is going to happen is the Queen will prorogue parliament circa 9th September, until new state opening on 14th October, acting on advice of her government. 

By October 14th there won't be enough time to stop hard brexit. You could say "so what"? Well the markets and business in general are going to hell. Not only in the UK but also around the world. It could creat a big economic crisis everywhere. And also Boris or any other PM for that matter shouldn't be able to manipulate Parliament as they wish.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Padme said:

By October 14th there won't be enough time to stop hard brexit. You could say "so what"? Well the markets and business in general are going to hell. Not only in the UK but also around the world. It could creat a big economic crisis everywhere. And also Boris or any other PM for that matter shouldn't be able to manipulate Parliament as they wish.

We'll see who is right on the economic.

Boris can because it is perfectly constitutional. It is deft - I agree - but perfectly legal. John Major did something similar in 1997 during the cash-for-questions debacle.

31 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

We'll see who is right on the economic.

Boris can because it is perfectly constitutional. It is deft - I agree - but perfectly legal. John Major did something similar in 1997 during the cash-for-questions debacle.

The UK is not right on the economy. Otherwise nobody in the world would be concerned about the consequences of Brexit

The Speaker and MP are saying it is NOT "perfectly constitutional"

1 hour ago, Padme said:

The UK is not right on the economy. Otherwise nobody in the world would be concerned about the consequences of Brexit

The Speaker and MP are saying it is NOT "perfectly constitutional"

It is perfectly constitutional: every time a parliamentary session ends, parliament is prorogued. Bercow is an ardent remainer.  

Remainers continue to demonstrate they are utterly thick when discussing the British constitution,

Just to give your some idea of how frequent prorogation is, it always proceeds the annual state opening of parliament which has occurred since the 14th century!!

PS

Just to clarify,

- remainers don't understand how parliamentary sessions and prorogation works

- they don't understand how prime ministers are chosen in the United Kingdom (''Boris doesn't have a democratic mandate'').

- they don't understand ''yes/no'' referenda, by which the highest percentage wins and that is what is subsequently enacted (''we want to rerun the referendum, only with people's stuck upfront'').

It is supposed to be leavers who are uneducated!!

Edited by DieselDaisy

If the backstop was removed and replaced with alternative arrangements which have been set forth by the United Kingdom, it is fair to say they'd be a deal - even at this late stage - so it is ultimately the EU's fault in nailing the banner so stridently to a dead withdrawal agreement which has been thrown out of Parliament thrice. 

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

If the backstop was removed and replaced with alternative arrangements which have been set forth by the United Kingdom, it is fair to say they'd be a deal - even at this late stage - so it is ultimately the EU's fault in nailing the banner so stridently to a dead withdrawal agreement which has been thrown out of Parliament thrice. 

It is your fault for enacting a referendum without actually having an exit plan in place, resulting in a prolonged process of three years (!) before it can happen, and then it is entirely your fault to enter these negotiations ill-prepared and not being able to arrive at a satisfactory agreement. This is all your fault. No one else's. It was ill-conceived, ill-prepared and ill-executed. Not only this, but three years also leaves people plenty of time to change their minds, meaning that one might question how democratic it is to force through a Brexit now. But I suppose blaming the EU for your fuckups is only natural to you.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I’m not sure you understand the point of the backstop. 

The joke is not the United Kingdom per se but the United Kingdom's present Parliament who have evaded and hindered a democratic mandate, 52% will of the people, at every turn.

Just now, SoulMonster said:

It is your fault for enacting a referendum without actually having an exit plan in place, resulting in a prolonged process of three years (!) before it can happen, and then it is entirely your fault to enter these negotiations ill-prepared and not being able to arrive at a satisfactory agreement. This is all your fault. No one else's. It was ill-conceived, ill-prepared and ill-executed. Not only this, but three years also leaves people plenty of time to change their minds, meaning that one might question how democratic it is to force through a Brexit now. But I suppose blaming the EU for your fuckups is only natural to you.

Wait. You are discussing the May ministry here. You'll find no greater critic than me over Theresa May's handling of the Brexit process, including as it did a wretched withdrawal agreement, and derailment over Brexit (March was when we were originally supposed to leave). 

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I’m not sure you understand the point of the backstop. 

I understand it completely. I am not sure why you'd insinuate otherwise.

The United Kingdom formed an Alternative Arrangement Commission in May this year to investigate just that, ''alternative arrangements'' to the Irish Backstop, technological and customs orientated. Their findings have been rebuffed by both the EU and Irish government. 

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The joke is not the United Kingdom per se but the United Kingdom's present Parliament who have evaded and hindered a democratic mandate, 52% will of the people, at every turn.

Wait. You are discussing the May ministry here. You'll find no greater critic than me over Theresa May's handling of the Brexit process, including as it did a wretched withdrawal agreement, and derailment over Brexit (March was when we were originally supposed to leave). 

I am not discussing a specific ministry, really, but the entire process, or lack thereof. From when it was decided to go through a referendum to now. 

Just now, SoulMonster said:

I am not discussing a specific ministry, really, but the entire process, or lack thereof. From when it was decided to go through a referendum to now. 

You surely must be aware that policies change completely between Ministries? Theresa May was a remainer who formed a ministry of like-minded remainers who, removing ''no deal'' immediately from the table, began negotiating a soft-Brexit and was willing to delay Brexit whilst attempting again and again to get this flawed deal through Parliament. Boris is a Brexiteer who has formed a ministry of Brexiteers and who is willing to countenance a ''no deal'' as a last resort and seems willing to depart on the date he has stated we'll depart. 

You are rather chucking them in one pot! 

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I understand it completely. I am not sure why you'd insinuate otherwise.

The United Kingdom formed an Alternative Arrangement Commission in May this year to investigate just that, ''alternative arrangements'' to the Irish Backstop, technological and customs orientated. Their findings have been rebuffed by both the EU and Irish government. 

How do these alternative “technological and customs orientated” solutions stop EU citizens crossing freely from the Irish Republic into the UK?

3 minutes ago, Dazey said:

How do these alternative “technological and customs orientated” solutions stop EU citizens crossing freely from the Irish Republic into the UK?

We'd be in the transitioning period anyway until December 2020 - extended under bilateral agreement - so this point is a bit moot until that stage, during which presumably a ''future relations agreement'' can be ironed-out with provisions on immigration. The problem I and the Tories have with the Backstop is it could lock Great Britain into the EU Customs Union indefinitely (and the problem the DUP have is that it would create a sort of united Irish economic area, severing Northern Ireland from Great Britain).

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

You sure don't understand much of what I write.

For once we agree. 

19 minutes ago, soon said:

Prolly karma for colonizing my friends and Hong Kong and half the world. And the slave trade.  :shrugs:

There was no such thing as Hong Kong before the British - well, a few thousand Tanka fisherman. The city today was built by the British, and its (Chinese) demographic spiraled as a result of migration fleeing from the mainland (fleeing Chinese Civil War, Taiping Rebellion, communists, etc.) after the Treaty of Nanking.

Slave trade? Then the Portuguese are well and truly stuffed if they ever depart the EU!

Edited by DieselDaisy