British Politics

Gracii Guns

18 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

The sound of my misspent youth!

Someone described that song to me as just the perfect encapsulation of when you've left a nightclub at 4am, traffic and people blurring past and you're having a bit of an existential crisis thinking about everything from whatever happened to you earlier that night to people you haven't seen in years, and it all seems to come in fragments, which I think is down to the way the song is narrated...

7 hours ago, Graeme said:

Someone described that song to me as just the perfect encapsulation of when you've left a nightclub at 4am, traffic and people blurring past and you're having a bit of an existential crisis thinking about everything from whatever happened to you earlier that night to people you haven't seen in years, and it all seems to come in fragments, which I think is down to the way the song is narrated...

LAGER LAGER LAGER LAGER SHOUTIN' MEGA  MEGA WHITE THING MEGA MEGA WHITE THING...what the fuck are they on about? :lol:

9 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I watched Trainspotting 2 and it just made me sad. :( 

Yeah, there's something odd about it, isn't there?  Whats ridiculous is that Trainspotting itself wasn't exactly fuckin' upbeat but with the second one there's a sense of like...I dunno, the loss of something.

UK TV is weird.

Just flicked the channels and seen a show called '20 year's of the black eyed peas' hosted by Joanna Lumley. Bit random that is. Haven't even heard the name in 20 years since I was in school before I was a teenager, yet there's a Christmas show about them on national tv.

Also briefly caught glimpse on the BBC of an animated remake of watership down that looks like a cut scene from a video game in the early 2000's or late 90's. 

Disapointed that it looks like no Screenwipe 2018.

Edited by AtariLegend

19 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

LAGER LAGER LAGER LAGER SHOUTIN' MEGA  MEGA WHITE THING MEGA MEGA WHITE THING...what the fuck are they on about? :lol:

Apparently they did the whole vocal in one take and that was a result of Karl Hyde forgetting the words he'd written down and just repeating random things that came into his head, but it was supposed to kinda be a drunk stream of consciousness anyway, so it strangely worked really well...

6 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

UK TV is weird.

Just flicked the channels and seen a show called '20 year's of the black eyed peas' hosted by Joanna Lumley. Bit random that is. Haven't even heard the name in 20 years since I was in school before I was a teenager, yet there's a Christmas show about them on national tv.

Also briefly caught glimpse on the BBC of an animated remake of watership down that looks like a cut scene from a video game in the early 2000's or late 90's. 

Disapointed that it looks like no Screenwipe 2018.

Screenwipe has really gone downhill in recent years. I fucking HATE that Philomena Cuntface. 

20 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

In the Guardian newspaper February 24, 2006, Karl Hyde said: "We used to go out drinking in Soho and I ended up in the Ship on Wardour Street. All the lyrics were written on that night. A drunk sees the world in fragments and I wanted to recreate that. I was inspired by Lou Reed's New York album and Sam Shepard's Motel Chronicles. I was into flash photography as well, so I was walking around Soho with a notebook and camera, just observing things. In those days I'd open the book whenever a musical idea inspired me. Rick [Smith] came up with a rhythm and I started singing over it. The vocals were done in one take. When I lost my place, I'd repeat the same line; that's why it goes, 'lager, lager, lager, lager.' The first time we played it live, people raised their lager cans and I was horrified because I was still deep into alcoholism. It was never meant to be a drinking anthem; it was a cry for help. Now I don't mind. Why Born Slippy? It was a greyhound we won money on."

You should really dislike the EU as when Britain joined the EU in the 1970s it terminated our preferential trade deals with the Commonwealth countries. The New Zealand economy went tits up as a consequence, only reviving in the late '80s. Basically Ted Heath shafted New Zealand, hitherto natural allies, for a bunch of latte drinking beret wearing Euros. 

1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

We should leave the Commonwealth and still receive preferential treatment. 

It does a lot by way of charity, education, the proliferation of liberal values, sport (Commonwealth Games). It also overseas The War Graves Commission which is something that is important to me being that I had relatives who died in the first world war. 

11 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

England is literally family. We can still be close. I just don't want to be in the Commonwealth on principal. I'm nobody's servant. I despise the royals they are a blight.

The Commonwealth has got nothing to do with whether you're a monarchy or a republic; currently 32/53 Commonwealth states are republics! In fact five Commonwealth monarchies have their own separate monarch, leaving only 16/53 with Queen Elizabeth II as head of state. 

I suppose you could make an argument that the presidency should be unlimbered from the House of Windsor, which indeed was brought up April this year when the Heads opted for Prince Charles as incumbent, but this hardly seems grounds to remove oneself from the Commonwealth considering the position is largely ceremonial. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

13 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

It's symbolic and I want no part bolstering it. Symbolism, along with the landholdings and wealth the English allow them to have, is all that matters to them. I'm half a world away and I care much more deeply for the people of England/the UK than those inbred withered scum eternally masturbating over their pompous vacuum.

It has nothing to do whether you are a monarch or a republic though. If the United Kingdom herself became a republic there would still be a commonwealth! If you had a referendum on the monarchy like the Australians did, this wouldn't be a referendum on the status commonwealth. Countries have switched from monarchy to republic without any impact on their Commonwealth membership. 

In fact, regarding symbolism, the term ''commonwealth'' has distinct republican connotations. It has its etymological roots in the Roman Republic (res publica - ''public affair'') and was the designation of the English republic between 1649-1660. 

4 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

NZ could be a republic and still be a close ally. But what I said about symbolism would still apply if we were still under the umbrella of the Commonwealth. Maybe the stain cannot be removed, at least not until you guys wise up and abolish them.

The royals and everything that goes with it, how it damages, it's a complex affliction I'm very bitter about.

You know how wealthy they are, don't you? On the backs of you their peasants who they do not care for.

We seem to be having two separate arguments!

• 2 weeks later...