AFD on Ozzy's Favorite Metal Albums of All Time List

30 minutes ago, AncientEvil80 said:

Just a question and bit off topic... why the hell do they keep mentioning AFD as one of the greatest DEBUT albums of all time?!?!? Who the fuck cares if it's debut or not. 

It's like they're deliberately belittling it: it's great, but meh, it's only a debut album.

GTFOH. <_<

I honestly don't think that's a personal shot at Guns or anything. That type of thing gets said all the time about a bunch of albums. I've heard that said about Black Sabbath, Ten, Nevermind (even tho that's not an official debut). More emphasis on debut rather than Guns.

And I'm not sure it's belittling it either, that's pretty damn good if your debut album is considered an all time classic.

Like I would say Biggie's Ready to Die might be the best rap debut album ever. And I wouldn't be saying it in a belittling way at all. Just giving it mad respect that it's so fucking good on his first attempt.

Edited by J Dog

21 minutes ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

I cant understand why people hold Judas Priest in such high regard.

Agreed. Now I'm not a huge metal head by any stretch, I honestly only listen to a few and most of those are the obvious big ones like Sabbath, AC/DC, Megadeth, Pantera, but I wouldn't rate JP anywhere near the big dogs.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Agreed. Now I'm not a huge metal head by any stretch, I honestly only listen to a few and most of those are the obvious big ones like Sabbath, AC/DC, Megadeth, Pantera, but I wouldn't rate JP anywhere near the big dogs.

I'm not a metal fan either. The stuff I have heard from JP doesn't sound metal. It sounds more hard rock, which is my favorite genre. Halford's voice sounds so average and the band is boring to me. I would put them in the same category as Ratt. I know some people think they are the sh!t. But I think they are sh!t.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

Hard Rock, definitely not Metal.

Sure, I tend to agree. But people often think of only heavy metal when they hear the word "metal", and that's quite wrong.

Metal has a magnitude of sub genres though, there's a pretty big span.

Edited by Spirit
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spirit said:

Metal has a magnitude of sub genres though

It does and GN'R don't fall into any of them. :lol:

It always baffles me when I see them described as such, even Wikipedia has them down as Hard Rock - Heavy Metal. Not for me.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

As I say, GN'R don't come anywhere near what I would class as 'Metal'. Not even close.

Rock, Hard Rock, Classic Rock or simply Rock and Roll. Definitely not Metal, though.

Agree ?

• Like 1

On 6/30/2017 at 8:11 PM, BlueJean Baby said:

What Are Ozzy Osbourne's Favorite Metal Albums of All Time?

Anne Erickson

The folks at Rolling Stone checked in with one of metal's founding fathers, Ozzy Osbourne, to give his personal 10 favorite metal albums of all time. Who better to ask than Ozzy, right? 

Osbourne's choices include Guns N' Roses' Appetite for Destruction, Led Zeppelin's Led Zeppelin IV, and Highway to Hell, to name a few.

Osbourne says Appetite for Destruction is "one of the greatest debut albums of all time." He also asserts, "There's not a weak song in the bunch. I never get tired of hearing it."

On Led Zeppelin IV, Osbourne says that Zeppelin has been a longtime favorite for him, explaining, "All of their studio albums are classics but this is one of my all-time favorites."

Regarding AC/DC, Ozzy says, "I love Brian Johnson but to me my good friend, the late Bon Scott, was the best singer AC/DC ever had. This album was like an addiction to me."

Rolling Stone recently posted their list of "The 100 Greatest Metal Albums of All Time," and Black Sabbath's Paranoid was  No. 1.

Ozzy Osbourne's 10 favorite metal albums, in alphabetical order, via Rolling Stone:

AC/DC -- Highway to Hell
Alice in Chains -- Facelift
Guns N' Roses -- Appetite for Destruction
Judas Priest -- British Steel
Led Zeppelin -- Led Zeppelin IV
Megadeth -- Rust in Peace
Metallica -- Master of Puppets
Motorhead -- Ace of Spades
Pantera -- Cowboys from Hell
Rob Zombie -- Hellbilly Deluxe

Great list and very impressed he included megadeth's Rust in Peace!

On 1.7.2017 at 2:11 AM, BlueJean Baby said:

Ozzy Osbourne's 10 favorite metal albums, in alphabetical order, via Rolling Stone:

AC/DC -- Highway to Hell
Alice in Chains -- Facelift
Guns N' Roses -- Appetite for Destruction
Judas Priest -- British Steel
Led Zeppelin -- Led Zeppelin IV
Megadeth -- Rust in Peace
Metallica -- Master of Puppets
Motorhead -- Ace of Spades
Pantera -- Cowboys from Hell
Rob Zombie -- Hellbilly Deluxe

I wouldn't consider AC/DC, Led Zeppelin and Motörhead as Metal. 

But Let There Be Rock is the best AC/DC album and Overkill / Bomber are the best Motörhead albums

2 hours ago, Sosso said:

I wouldn't consider AC/DC, Led Zeppelin and Motörhead as Metal. 

But Let There Be Rock is the best AC/DC album and Overkill / Bomber are the best Motörhead albums

Of course they're not..... Led Zeppelin 'Metal' :facepalm:

I think Ozzy must've either had a bang on the head or he's back on the sauce! :lol:

14 hours ago, Stoymatic said:

afd is the gold standard, should be on every "best all time" album list

Yeah. Even though they're not metal by any means there are some exceptions. The line between hard rock and metal is so blurred that when something's brilliant, it doesn't really matter if it's incorrectly labelled. That's why Zep IV and AFD and a few others keep showing up on metal lists. At the end of the day there's elements of metal in there, even though they're not metal bands or even metal albums.

On 01/07/2017 at 7:29 AM, BorderlineCrazy said:

British Steel (I like it but I think Judas Priest have some way better albums) and Hellbilly Deluxe.

Yeah, it's kinda ironic considering his band created metal. Tony must be facepalming while reading the list :lol:

That's not absolutely true. I think you're wrong in some point.

Metal isn't what everything is loud and everything is fast. Most of all, metal is based on the musical interval known as a tritone. The dark medieval ones.

See Arthur Brown, or In A Gadda Da Vida, those songs can be looked as the first truest metal song, triton riffs, organs, yet it sounds like psychedelic rock. Slayer did a cover of In A Gadda Da Vida, Blind Guardian too, all the true metalheads, they all learned that song, they've been influenced by Highway to Hell, or even Stairway To Heaven, or Death SS and whatnot. It's about musicians that play bigger than life, big sounding drums like Bonham, distorted guitars, synths like Jon Lord etc. It's about the tones, the words, the themes: God, Hell, Death, Drugs, History, Magick etc.

The term metal came from the band Steppenwolf "heavy metal thunder". It was coined that way. It's like you don't listen to Cannibal Corpse immediately, usually, if you do it the right way, your childhood is about listening to Zeppelin, Purple, Sabbath, AC/DC and then Megadeth or Pantera right after. It's a pilgrimage. Metal is like a cult with different openings. Ozzy in his own way, probably think Lennon was metal.

Edited by Silent Jay
  • Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 4:10 AM, Oldest Goat said:

I really like Ozzy. He's a cool guy. It would be fucking cool if he did something with GNR.

He won't work with GNR. Half of the peple in this version of GNR, he insulted and said wasn't GNR. Mostly, because it didn't have Slash, while he was working with Slash in 2010. It is what it is but, I would hoe for some work from GNR first before other collaborations.

Then again, maybe Ozzy and Axl will cover Ironhead. After all, Axl loves covers :P 

On 1 July 2017 at 4:10 PM, Oldest Goat said:

I really like Ozzy. He's a cool guy. It would be fucking cool if he did something with GNR.

Axl and Ozzy doing a medley of Crazy Train/Bad/Scraped live.