07/20/17 - NYC - Apollo Theater

alfierose

3 hours ago, alfierose said:

Did you get to attend? I remember you were driving by yesterday but wasn't clear if you had a ticket or not.

Yes, I was able to attend. Showed up round 8pm and got tickets after a little wait. Got down in front, later everyone was moved out  by some psychotic usher who cursed at us. I found a better spot right next to Eddie T's table with a perfect view and stayed. That same nut started a fight behind Eddie's table with another employee and almost destroyed the show as they had all their mics set up and she was inches from them.  Everyone had a good spot, it's small, however I was glad I was not in the balcony. It's much different in a small venue and I prefer it, the sound is really contained, the intensity is better. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vloors said:

Hopefully they will fire Frank after the amount of fuck ups on tonights show.

I would be thrilled if Matt came back for the rest of the tour! I still can't understand why Slash and Duff would ditch their long term drummer just to appease Axl. I guess the millions of dollars on the line were too alluring to stand up for Matt!

• Like 2

Well, all in all the show was completely inexplicit in some way (though it was really great until November Rain with some songs at its best) and makes no sense. I mean, even with the "Not in This Lifetime" sigh on the show announcment, it was associated with Apettite for Dectruction anniversary, however, no one even mentioned about the formal reason for the show and I'm not saying about playing the whole album. The thing is, it feels like nobody from the band knew why they were there and therefore have palayed a stardard setlist. OR... OR fans and audience just became victims of band vs. mamanement freud - Appetite for Destruction is strongly related to Los Angeles and it would be logically to praise its anniversary in The Roxy, The Troibadour, Hollywood Bowl, whatever - and maybe there was an actual intention to do that in LA, but the band's managemnt decided to move it to the Apollo, as they were offered more, or they were contracted with SiriusXm, whatever... And knowing Axl and mates, it's really possible that the've done a punch back: ordinary venue for them - ordinary setlist for fans. Cause' its really weired that nobody except damn DJs mentoined the jubilee. 

Edited by nikothebellic

41 minutes ago, maynard said:

So uh, to those who listened to it: are the songs still all sped up? Or have they normalized the tempo a bit? I saw someone saying Nightrain was like Night Bullet Train, Frank was insanely fast!

Terribly sped up....NT actually used to be one not so sped up but it was one of the worst I heard.

• Like 2

Just now, TheSeeker said:

Everyone probably missed it, but November Rain from Coachella was playing on the GNR Sirius station while the show was starting last night

Not sure if anyone recorded it

Did you like the outro :D

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pishy said:

Yes, I was able to attend. Showed up round 8pm and got tickets after a little wait. Got down in front, later everyone was moved out  by some psychotic usher who cursed at us. I found a better spot right next to Eddie T's table with a perfect view and stayed. That same nut started a fight behind Eddie's table with another employee and almost destroyed the show as they had all their mics set up and she was inches from them.  Everyone had a good spot, it's small, however I was glad I was not in the balcony. It's much different in a small venue and I prefer it, the sound is really contained, the intensity is better. 

Congrats. Well done on getting in and thanks for the write up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Magnus Cavalerra said:

There's a spaceship like sound in the middle of Sorry, damn, Melissa is the hidden gem of the soundboard.

For the first time I was able to hear Melissa parts, the synths and orchestration on November Rain were very good too.

29 minutes ago, Lio said:

Okay, 96 pages in and still no review. We need someone who was actually there. WAKE UP, @Black Sabbath, @Tyler Drama and others that I've forgotten.

28 minutes ago, Pishy said:

• Like 1

I thought it was ballsy for the band to do a live show with a live stream.  Not too many bands would do a 3+ hour concert like that, nowadays.   So that part about it was very cool and reminded me why they called these guys the "most dangerous band in the world' back in the day.  

That being said, although I always knew it would be a long shot, a proper AFD anniversary should have included Izzy & Adler.   I have a feeling the promoters/Sirius and the band were on 2 different pages in reference to what this show was about.  I think Sirius wanted to pump it out as a AFD anniversary show but the band basically wanted to do another show and maybe just recognize the AFD anniversary instead of making the entire show about it.

As far as the show itself went, nowhere near their best on this tour, especially Axl.  Nowhere near their worst either.

Band was pretty solid for most of the night with Slash and Duff being the highlights  Fortus was actually solid, Melissa and Frank were ok.  Dizzy was Dizzy...I didn't notice any mistakes on piano/keyboards so I'm assuming he did good...lol.  

On a scale of 1-10 comparing it to other shows on this tour, I'd rate it somewhere around a 7.  Axl sounded great on about 1/3 of the songs....ok on about a 1/3 and was off on about a 1/3.

That's my 2 cents on the entire event. :)

• Like 2