07/20/17 - NYC - Apollo Theater

alfierose

26 minutes ago, NicoRourke said:

It was not an anniversary gig - never advertised as such. It was a special NITL show, and at the same time the band acknowledged AFD's 30th with some material being displayed around NYC.

That's my interpretation of things anyway.

It was thought, there banners with #appetite30th in NYC

1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

My review of the Appetite For Destruction 30th Anniversary Show:

Thing is people had their own expectations. Where did you saw the word "Anniversary"?

No one said they 'll play entire Appetite.

It was just a NITL show within a special day and that's it..

1 hour ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

I'm sure I'll get butchered for saying this but hearing a show from this tour mixed for headphone listening made me appreciate Melissa a lot more.

You 're not alone. Trust me.. Most of the people/fans will appreciate her work on an official release in the future. Mostly a live album..

She's a great, underrated musician.

55 minutes ago, charliehoodger said:

Don't know if anyone else will agree but listening to it again on way to work from encore and that "Better"... that was fucking awesome. Seriously. There's like 5 standouts maybe 6 for me and that's definitely one if them.

Ya, that Better kicked ass. Both the band and Axl were amazing on that. His vocals got downright demonic at times last night.

• Like 1

I've now listened to the whole show and IMO it's not that bad. Yes there are some weak moments but I wouldn't call this a 'Mickey' performance. Axl seems to have found a voice that is an hybrid between his classic vocals and what we've heard in 2002 or 2014.

It works for me - and if it allows him to do 150+ shows I don't mind.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, axlslash said:

Jungle was fine. DTJ was fine. I'm sure he wasn't perfect for the whole show, but compare this to UCAP Chicago, the Bridge School, Rio.... This is fabulous. 

So you're saying that compared to some of their worst performances, this one sounds good? Way to set your standards!

Compared to my old grandma, Axl sounded good last night! Fuck the haters!

Edited by maynard
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Just listened to the soundboard version of Rocket Queen from last night.  The intro is nothing short of amazing.  Definitely showcases the talent level of the band.... incredibly crisp and clean layers....probably what Axl had intended many of the layers in Chinese Democracy to sound like...and makes me wonder how much better of an album that would have been with this version (and production) of the band.  

Glad I'm not the only one who appreciated last night's version.  Some others here thought it was an utter wreck, but I was mesmerised.  Different ears hear different things I guess.  I quite like it when they take classics off piste every now and then.  It's not my favourite Guns song so maybe I'm more open minded about them fucking around with it.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Yibrano Hudson said:

There are about 100 people lined up outside the venue. They got numbered and told that the will PROBABLY release some ticket...staff didn't told them how many though.

Source: a close friend is number 83

did your friend get in? I'm kicking myself for not going, but didn't think there'd be a chance.

1 hour ago, charliehoodger said:

It so funny that I wrote my 2 cents from listening last night and said that if not ONE mention if appetite 30th happens from the band or anyone involved I'll actually be mad and what do I get when I wake up....MORE SHOWS!!! Lol

What ? There is another show for 30th?

20 minutes ago, NicoRourke said:

I've now listened to the whole show and IMO it's not that bad. Yes there are some weak moments but I wouldn't call this a 'Mickey' performance. Axl seems to have found a voice that is an hybrid between his classic vocals and what we've heard in 2002 or 2014.

It works for me - and if it allows him to do 150+ shows I don't mind.

Yeah Id agree to this

This still seems like a really neat show. As I said, Im kind of glad they didnt do some AfD bullshit without Izzy and Steven. This was a cool NITL gig in an intimate venue

A friend who is a very casual fan at best just sent me this text "We're listening to a GNR show on xm right now. Axl sounds amazing at times and like a dying cat at other times. Overall, not too bad a for a guy in his 50s"

• Like 3

I just played Estranged from last night for my 11 year old sister and even she laughed and said he sounds like mickey mouse. never heard her say that before. if an 11 year old realizes it it must be real bad. He sounds strong in some parts and weak in others. By the end of the show i found myself waiting for him to sounds strong again. It took till Nightrain for him to sound that strong again. I can't wait to see them come to Hartford now. Slash alone is worth the $55-$99 in my mind. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DaneisKing1389 said:

I got in. Managed to snag two tickets so I picked a guy I saw in line. He said, "my friend is a way bigger fan so is it cool if I give it to him instead?" Great friend and I was glad to help someone out.

One guy had like 12 posters at the end of the night and I didn't get one. Asked if he could spare one and he said, "can't man, you should've gotten one." Fuck that guy.

how did you get tickets?

27 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Axl sounds amazing at times and like a dying cat at other times.

Perfect characteristic - first two hours it was hell of a show, even with the screwed wistle at the end of Civil War. And, damn, it was probably the best WttJ of the tour so far! But at the end of Rosie something happend and during November Rain it really felt how hard it was to Axl to keep his vocals on a top spot and only KoHD avoided this fate, sounding quet well. Anything else was really spoiled in certain degree (and not only because of Rose). Inetresting, that's why they didn't play Don't Cry...  

45 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Glad I'm not the only one who appreciated last night's version.  Some others here thought it was an utter wreck, but I was mesmerised.  Different ears hear different things I guess.  I quite like it when they take classics off piste every now and then.  It's not my favourite Guns song so maybe I'm more open minded about them fucking around with it.

this versions incredible and the original is my third favourite off appetite already! team 4tus queen