07/20/17 - NYC - Apollo Theater

alfierose

5 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Glad I'm not the only one who appreciated last night's version.  Some others here thought it was an utter wreck, but I was mesmerised.  Different ears hear different things I guess.  I quite like it when they take classics off piste every now and then.  It's not my favourite Guns song so maybe I'm more open minded about them fucking around with it.

The guts of the song after the intro is basically the same as it's always been, with some additional guitar work by Slash, which also sounds awesome....so I agree, not sure where the hate for this version of the song comes from.

5 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

If anyone wonders why their posts were removed, it's because as we keep reminding everyone that there's an entire pinned thread to discuss any former member who wasn't at this show and your opinion on it. 

Sorry Russ, I forgot what thread I was on.

16 hours ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

The Japan show beats it with a couple of minutes...

Do your research before speaking.

Oh, and the LA show was on the 3rd, not the 2nd by the way.

That Japan gig has 12 solo's and jams so it doesn't even come close to the Inglewood show

5 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

I'm still shocked about Axl's weird demonic voice on Better. It sounded fucking amazing, I wish he used it more

I just heard that a bit ago and was like "what the shit?". It was cool but still took me by surprise lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

I think between 60-75 people outside ended up getting tickets (for free - everything was free at this show) after waiting close to all day.

I showed up at 8pm and got in, tix were free. But yes, many got there very early , some at 4am the day of and some got tickets. They had them in a line across the street. There was an envelope brought out with 20 tickets and they said this is from axl, I guess seats they kept for friends and associates that didn't show. Those had some good seats on the floor and some in the side balcony where people they invited I guess didn't want to be bothered. After that was the big balcony seats which I'm sure were fine because it's a small venture and they all seemed pretty damn happy to be there after standing there many hours.  I did see some buy tickets, they asked everyone who came by, 2 dudes dropped $500 each.  Sirius did a raffle for their employees.  Some industry people made an appearance and went home. One guy left after 30 min, he said he didn't have time for anyone but GnR and the Kills were killing him.  I do think Fernando is a real personable guy, friendly.  The essence of the show was the sound and small space. It's not the same as pit in a stadium. It's like they were in your living room. Some guy was in disbelief the whole time saying this is so sick, what's happening. And slash was on fire, he went crazy on rocket queen and had some solos that you wouldn't believe . You got to see the inner workings of it all.  Yeah I have complaints , they were deleted but im just trying to give a view from the inside. You just had to focus on the artistry of it. I turned to one of the small, side balconies  and 3-4 young girls, with zero rhythm, were apparently listening and dancing to one of these talent-less drake types  or something, they seemed lost. But there were a good amount of fans there. No idea why but one guy kept holding up a live like a suicide album , another kept showing the band his shirt and one person lost their mind after axl shook some hands. Overall it was a good crowd. No one was an asshole. Now where is the soundboard recording ? Anyone ?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Just getting to TIL now and I have a question:

What grown man keeps yelling "I LOVE YOU AXL!!!!!" every chance he gets? 

There were some true nuts there, taken by the celebrity or something.  Some guy across the street, kept calling for a round of applause for the staff and slowing shit down , why people obliged I'll never know . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Finally getting a chance to listen to the show. Jungle just starting now. It's been quite a while since I listened to a complete show from this tour. 

Let us know what you think of how the show sounded.

27 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Just getting to TIL now and I have a question:

What grown man keeps yelling "I LOVE YOU AXL!!!!!" every chance he gets? 

LOL, what? That Is some funny disturbing shit.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Gem Archer said:

let's hope this dude keeps uploading the rest of the show...

Second that!  Holy shit this guy's videos are amazing quality.  And Axl sounds proper awesome here, he genuinely does.  Looks happy, grinning at the crowd.  Bands sounds tight...Richard is outstanding throughout this show.  Slash rocking out.  Must be thrilled to be in a small venue for a change.  

• Like 1

Just now, RussTCB said:

Skipped a couple tunes (SCOM, KOHD, Rosie, etc) so I'm on Sorry now. Pretty solid version if you ask me. 

Sorry was one of the highlights. Also KOHD and Better. But Black Hole Sun was the best one if you ask me, the best version they ever did

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bono said:

Yes just a coincidental acknowledgment of the 30th anniversary on massive billboards in Times Square a week before the band plays the Apollo in New York to an intimate crowd on the anniversary of AFD. You're right GnR weren't trying to insinuate anything whatsoever. :facepalm:

The show was on the 20th, not the 21st.

Coincidental... if they ever were to do those Appetite anniversary billboards, what other date should they have chosen? Oct 6th?

If anything was to be done during the show, wouldn't it be logical to at least mention the show on the Appetite billboards, and the other way around on the show posters? Advertise the show as an anniversary show to specifically celebrate Appetite... it was never done.