07/20/17 - NYC - Apollo Theater

alfierose

11 hours ago, Gibbo said:

Wow this fella recorded the show

I got slight chills when Axl started shaking the fans hands.. Reminiscent of the Ritz show during this song.. This lineup has a hard time pulling off some songs but performances like this one keep me here.. This show was way better than the Troubadour show..

• Like 4

Gibbo, you are the man!!! Thanks so much!!!

Now that I've listened to (and downloaded) the whole concert, I think some folks are being overly critical of this show. It's by no means the best concert I have heard from this tour (I would prolly vote for Houston), but it's still pretty solid performances all around. Not to mention, this is the BEST SINGLE THING I HAVE HEARD FROM GUNS N ROSES SINCE CD, arguably earlier. This live album essentially, that Gibbo graced us with, hits heights that even Chinese Democracy doesn't hit. I'm not even talking about the old stuff (for the most part). Sure better sound board version of plenty of these songs exist (no argument there), but this thing does have like 6 songs that are some serious quality. Every CD song that's played, I prefer over the album versions. Slash, just adds SO MUCH. I found my self saying "fuck ya slash!!" Which every single member of this band was on point, if you wanna bag on Frank, whatever, he gets the job done. Shit, I can hear Melissa's contributions, and she is a BIG step up over Pit(t)man's ass. 

So let me add them up here, we have either the definitive version or we have a contender for that title out of the following songs:

1.  The Seeker (pisses on the Appetite for Democracy)

2. Layla (it's cool, dust in the windish)

3.Wish you were here (I enjoy listening to it)

4. Whole lotta Rosie ( I know most will say Marque 87, and that performance is legendary, but Slash is BETTER on THIS one and the sound quality is proper. Axl WAS better on the old one, but he is still pretty damn good)

5. Double Talkin Jive (again sound quality is SO much better than the 90s boots. I also really dig what they are doing with it.)

6. Black Hole Sun (this actually surprised me, much better than some of them I have heard).

7. Chinese Democracy (Slash)

8. Better (Slash makes it better)

9. This I Love (I'm sorry I like Slash better on it)

10. Sorry (this one is the closest for me, I still slightly prefer this version, but it's close)

So all in all, that's 10 pieces of "newish" guns n roses music. Ya sure it's a lot of covers, but they actually really kill it on them. The Seeker, man some bash it hard, but they play the shit out of that song, better than the Who. Honestly, if they released THIS version of it right now, I think it would get a lot of play on Rock radio stations all over the US. It really freaking rocks, it's a great song, and it's not over played by other bands. 

Go ahead and flame me...

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dean said:

Incredible quality. I don't think he'd have filmed the entire show, but we can hope!

I was talking to him and he said he will be mixing another angle and will post it in a week or so.

He said BEST SHOW OF MY LIFE!!!

Edited by Gibbo
  • Like 4

With the date of Apollo show leading into the anniversary of AFD and especially with the posters and billboards up in NYC, its left some of us wondering why the Apollo show was not in any way a celebration of AFD30.  

I'm wondering if Adlers interviews this last yer can give any insight?  For one he said that when Fernando gave him a ride somewhere that Fernando shared some ideas/plans for AFD30 that Adler thought were exciting and hoped would come to fruition.  Also Adler reported in the last year that it was only just shortly before the Troubadour show that he was informed that he would not be participating in the shows.

Is it possible that the moving pieces and negotiations were ongoing up until 'the last minute?'  And that plans, press, posters, t-shirts, etc were made for either a NITL or AFD30 show, because of the lessons learned from Troubadour (actually GNRs entire career) ?

This of course assumes it was ever potentially an AFD30 thing.  Siriusxm's GNR Radio write up indicates the channel is a celebration of AFD30 and they put on the Apollo show and streamed it to that station.  Also Beta instagramed a congratulations for AFD 30 to NITL line up plus Izzy and Steven on the day of the show, not today, the actual anniversary.

Obviously this is a broad question.  But, I don't know.  Something along these lines seems possible to me.  

Could this show have gone either way? What do people think?

Edited by soon
spelling

1 hour ago, soon said:

With the date of Apollo show leading into the anniversary of AFD and especially with the posters and billboards up in NYC, its left some of us wondering why the Apollo show was not in any way a celebration of AFD30.  

I'm wondering if Adlers interviews this last yer can give any insight?  For one he said that when Fernando gave him a ride somewhere that Fernando shared some ideas/plans for AFD30 that Adler thought were exciting and hoped would come to fruition.  Also Adler reported in the last year that it was only just shortly before the Troubadour show that he was informed that he would not be participating in the shows.

Is it possible that the moving pieces and negotiations were ongoing up until 'the last minute?'  And that plans, press, posters, t-shirts, etc were made for either a NITL or AFD30 show, because of the lessons learned from Troubadour (actually GNRs entire career) ?

This of course assumes it was ever potentially an AFD30 thing.  Siriusxm's GNR Radio write up indicates the channel is a celebration of AFD30 and they put on the Apollo show and streamed it to that station.  Also Beta instagramed a congratulations for AFD 30 to NITL line up plus Izzy and Steven on the day of the show, not today, the actual anniversary.

Obviously this is a broad question.  But, I don't know.  Something along these lines seems possible to me.  

Could this show have gone either way? What do people think?

Axl doesn't want GNR to reunite.

If Axl wanted GNR to reunite, we would have GNR reunited.

He wants to keep playing with his yes-men aliens.

We aint having GNR again on this lifetime.

That's all there is to it.

5 hours ago, AFGnR said:

Quality vids from Markit Aneight on his YouTubes:

this has got to be the worst ever good-audio-quality version of rocket queen, which is basically the best song ever along with some other GNR tunes

i can not understand how anyone that ever listened to any GNR version of this song can enjoy this nonsense!

seriously, this is butchering to the worst degree possible, i cant believe how shitty speedy grooveless this thing is!

Edited by ludurigan
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

this has got to be the worst ever good-audio-quality version of rocket queen, which is basically the best song ever along with some other GNR tunes

i can not understand how anyone that ever listened to any GNR version of this song can enjoy this nonsense!

seriously, this is butchering to the worst degree possible, i cant believe how shitty speedy grooveless this thing is!

I wish I didn't press play on that. Had to watch the Ritz Rocket Queen straight after just to get the awfulness out of my head. I remember when music was the most important thing with this band.....now its the $ by a long way...

• Like 1

@Iron MikeyJ you nailed it on the CD songs . The album was so over produced pursuing perfection and axl getting a 10 year case of jitters , that it sounds sterile, axl is lost under layers of gibberish and the dissonance just leaves me kind of angry and annoyed. When I heard Better live, I thought , what's this ? How is this? It sounded so different I went home and put on CD album and no, this can't be the same. Then at the jersey show I was kind of shocked again. And you are correct , slash fixed it and I can bet axl is finally relieved because he brought in every highly skilled player he could find and tried to chop and and re-arrange to locate slash and ended up with a schizoid affective mess. Then last night when I heard Sorry I was just shocked , first , axl gives his solo album songs more effort but slash fixed the music , it's not the same song. And with all that over produced, computer garbage gone ,that he partially hoped would bridge the obvious crater,  it sounds like actual music . It was all trapped behind an impermeable membrane , slash cut it out and broke it loose . Axl must be secretly relieved because he never claimed to play guitar , those guys needs all the pieces , imagine if he had Adler on drums and Izzy on rhythm , then there would be something else happening . But yeah , you're right, I came to the same conclusion because it's so clear . Some guy asked me who they were covering when Sorry came on , he didn't believe it was a CD song. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Euchre said:

I wish I didn't press play on that. Had to watch the Ritz Rocket Queen straight after just to get the awfulness out of my head. I remember when music was the most important thing with this band.....now its the $ by a long way...

i have no idea why i keep watching these videos, maybe waiting for a miracle to happen, maybe these aliens will play properly one day. of course they wont.

this time we have a soundboard recording and i figured maybe a better recording with every instrument clearly audible would make it sound good but it actually sounds WAY WORSE than the audience recordings

i am gonna go straight to ritz 88 too hahahahahahahaha

7 hours ago, Pishy said:

Haha! Since we were talking beauty, shallow but must be done. We can double date them and figure out a way to send ferrer on a long vacation . You keep Melissa busy in the garden so we can get real GnR back 

Gladly, lol

36 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

I loved when slash had the talk box and was playing , I forgot everything else and it's why I ranked the song as a massive highlight. Those were some intense minutes.  Maybe because I watched him do it so close and have so much respect for what a skilled and creative artist he is , it was literally like magic only better , because it was real. 

Yes, the groove was gone, I agree, what you say is true but just go to that section I mentioned , it's one of my fav songs and all I remember from it was the slash masterpiece section. 

Edited by Pishy
Added

8 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

i have no idea why i keep watching these videos, maybe waiting for a miracle to happen, maybe these aliens will play properly one day. of course they wont.

this time we have a soundboard recording and i figured maybe a better recording with every instrument clearly audible would make it sound good but it actually sounds WAY WORSE than the audience recordings

i am gonna go straight to ritz 88 too hahahahahahahaha

Yeah the song wasn't even recognizable. After a while you think it can't be as bad as I remembered and make the mistake of watching another video and its just cringe worthy.

We're never going to get performances like in the '80's again, but if you really wanted to make the best musical statement you'd scrape away the excess and get the original 5 back - that's the closest we'd get to the prime and the best we could hear the material sound today. But like I said before $ comes first now - musical integrity and legacy barely rates a mention. Its a shame as the band used to stand for the exact opposite - or at least appeared to.

• Like 1

Just now, Pishy said:

I loved when slash had the talk box and was playing , I forgot everything else and it's why I ranked the song as a massive highlight. Those were some intense minutes of heaven.  Maybe because I watched him do it so close and have so much respect for what a skilled and creative artist he is , it was literally like magic only better , because it was real. 

good for you man. thats a good ability, forgetting everything else and focus on the good stuff only