RIP Chester Bennington (Linkin Park / STP)

axlslash

For the love of all that is holy..............................what is with today?? We can't even have a civil thread about someone sadly taking their own life?

Everyone PLEASE use some common sense and some common decency. Take it down a notch at the very least and maybe try to understand each other a little more at the very most.

There's been a LOT of users suspended today for not understanding the basics or communication or just not wanting to adhere to them. I never thought a thread like this would need a reminder for everyone about these basic rules.

As I said in the Apollo thread(s), today is probably going to be pretty exciting for all GN'R fans. Do yourself a favor and follow the rules of the forum so you don't get yourself suspended for a few days.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, xBrownstonex said:

Could someome remove this troll from this topic?

@alfierose @RussTCB ?

I'm reluctant to totally censor opinions like @Silent Jay as many people do have strong feelings in this direction. However I ask that anyone posting be respectful of the fact that this is a big shock for LP fans and carefully choose their words.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

I suffer from clinical depression and I have schizoprenia. Also, like Chester, I was sexually abused when I was 7 years old and had alcohol and drug problems. Thoughts of suicide are always gonna be in the back of my head but I plow through it. I have to think how sad, upset, etc my family would be, especially my 2 kids, if I were to ever off myself. They are what keeps me going and remind me not to be a selfish prick to destroy their lives by taking my own. There are always options, trust me

what terrible things you have gone and are still going through. i have had issues and still have them and have thought of just saying bye y'all and gone to that big sleep. it took courage for you to post this, i admire you for that. stay strong my friend.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

I suffer from clinical depression and I have schizoprenia. Also, like Chester, I was sexually abused when I was 7 years old and had alcohol and drug problems. Thoughts of suicide are always gonna be in the back of my head but I plow through it. I have to think how sad, upset, etc my family would be, especially my 2 kids, if I were to ever off myself. They are what keeps me going and remind me not to be a selfish prick to destroy their lives by taking my own. There are always options, trust me

I have a family member who also suffers with clinical depression, some days are good, some all you can do is be supportive. News like today's remind me how fragile life is and how many of us teeter on the brink. 

Stay strong. 

• Like 3

i have always had a special "bond" i guess is the closest word i can think of with Chester. part of it was my nephew at age 11 or thereabouts looked a lot like Chester. part of it was when Linkin Park first started out was one of the happiest times of my life and i'd hear their music and though it wasn't all happy lala i would hear Chester's voice and just be blown away by his talent. i have a DVD of theirs and the band tells the story of how they were holding auditions and the guy who was waiting heard Chester and when Chester was done he just left, like i can't compete with that.

so i will miss you so much Chester and i will have you in my heart always. rest well...

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose
  • Like 1

Just now, Archtop said:

@RussTCB  so you deleted my post defending mental health issues because you think its  more offence than the one calling suicide lame? 

Intresting prospective. 

There were a lot of posts removed. Anything that quoted a post that was removed was also removed. That's always been the case here. Nothing to do with the content of your post, but rather that post that you quoted.

35 minutes ago, alfierose said:

I'm reluctant to totally censor opinions like @Silent Jay as many people do have strong feelings in this direction. However I ask that anyone posting be respectful of the fact that this is a big shock for LP fans and carefully choose their words.

you shouldn't censor anyone for respectfully voicing their opinions just because you do not agree with them

2 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Suicide is the lamest thing you could ever do to you, your family, your friends, or your fans, nothing brave about it, nothing to be proud about. What a way to tarnish your reputation.

Mods should really delete comments like this. No one is saying he's brave for committing suicide. Depression is a disease. If you don't have any kind words to say, then why don't you move along rather than spout ignorance? 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Mods should really delete comments like this. No one is saying he's brave for committing suicide. Depression is a disease. If you don't have any kind words to say, then why don't you move along rather than spout ignorance? 

R.I.P. Chester.

Awful news. Chester's voice was something quite extraordinary. A powerfully recognizable instrument that many rock bands would beg to have. R.I.P.

P.S. Not sure how people can't understand that this can be a disease worse than any other. You can't just get this kind of feeling surgically removed or relieved with pills. Mental health is serious. The circumstances aren't really anyone else's concern. Come on now.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, toroymoi said:

Respectfully speaking, you're not Chester and Chester isn't you. Depression and mental health in general is not 'one size fits all' in terms of how it affects each individual person. Not everyone is built the same.

You are right in that mental illness is not "one size fits all" but do you want to know what is? Ending your own life. Those are going to be the scars that his 6 children will have to bear for the remainder of their lives. I hope his kids and his family will be able to cope and that THEY find peace.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jabberwocky said:

You are right in that mental illness is not "one size fits all" but do you want to know what is? Ending your own life. Those are going to be the scars that his 6 children will have to bear for the remainder of their lives. I hope his kids and his family will be able to cope and that THEY find peace.

Again, that's how you view things from your own perspective and mindset. You have no idea what his inner demons were making him think and feel.