THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I suppose it depends on whether you define ''home' as place of origin or current residence, but FIFA was essentially a French creation. England and the other Home Nations, actually shunned the first three World Cups. They didn't enter teams for a World Cup until 1950, the fourth incarnation. The (now defunct) Home Championship was deemed more prestigious by the Home Nations. 

Yes, but the "coming home" meant to be the place where it was born.

I think this is when England football fans go,

'''All this foreign shite. Can't wait for the Premier League. Club over country mate''.

And the casuals go back to watching Love Island.

(And I go back to the cricket).

PS

I bet the heatwave vanishes also? This whole period we have lived through - a period of consistent sunshine, ale on tap, a national team doing well in a world cup, gentlemen in boaters (okay, I threw the last one in) - will feel like some Twilight Zone, an England in another dimension, a mythic England.   

• Haha 2

Just now, Axl_morris said:

I never understand why they bother about a 3rd place play off. What's the point? Two deflated teams battling it out for a place that's never remembered.

I can't believe you're complaining that you get to see England get beat again. :lol: 

1 minute ago, Axl_morris said:

I never understand why they bother about a 3rd place play off. What's the point? Two deflated teams battling it out for a place that's never remembered.

Teams that win it, tend to be quite good. Germany have quite a few for example prior to World Cup wins.

It's not a disgrace getting Bronze at the Olympics, this shouldn't be either.

England fyi came 4th in 1990. Beating Belgium on Saturday would be the best finish since 66. England's 2nd highest ever finish. They should treat it seriously.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

6 minutes ago, Axl_morris said:

Well, here in Croatia 3rd place game from '98 is remebered until tonight...

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

The last great world cup final was 1986, Argies v Jerry. Go back through them and you'll see I'm correct.

I don’t think I’ve ever watched one. As soon as England lose I stop watching the games. I couldn’t see the game clearly. But Kane had a clear chance when I was at the bar to make it 2-0. 

Just now, AtariLegend said:

They'll be smashed then. Doubt Belgium are playing reserves again.

Bad example to set, if they don't treat this seriously. Other big teams would.

Nobody watches them. Nobody cares about them. Nobody remembers the result. 

8 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Teams that win it, tend to be quite good. Germany have quite a few for example prior to World Cup wins.

It's not a disgrace getting Bronze at the Olympics, this shouldn't be either.

England fyi came 4th in 1990. Beating Belgium on Saturday would be the best finish since 66. England's 2nd highest ever finish. They should treat it seriously.

Fuck that. Look at that body check on Kane at 20 mins. We’re coming back with a team of leg breakers next time. 

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Nobody watches them. Nobody cares about them. Nobody remembers the result. 

Only in England, because you lost the only one you played. There's other countries that do.

The mind set of pretending that match means nothing, is why England don't normally do better. Should win it and be proud.

4 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Only in England, because you lost the only one you played. There's other countries that do.

The mind set of pretending that match means nothing, is why England don't normally do better. Should win it and be proud.

Bollocks.

The Germans do not give two shits that they won two consecutive back-to-back 3rd place matches 2006-2010. They don't care about any of that bollocks. Most are probably not even aware they won (or lost) a 3rd place match! The Brazilians do not remember ''the glory of 1978''.

Edited by DieselDaisy

1 minute ago, AtariLegend said:

If Southgate plays the reserves against Belgium on Saturday, then it doesn't scream this match is pointless. It screams that he doesn't think they can beat Belgium.

It can scream whatever it wants as nobody cares. 

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Bollocks.

The Germans do not give two shits that they won two consecutive back-to-back 3rd place matches 2006-2010. They don't care about any of that bollocks.  

They asked Jurgen on the BBC prior to the semi's, that's not what he said.

Did it mean nothing to Croatia, Sweden or Turkey for example?