THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

16 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I do not understand it,

Sweden were considered ''tough opponent'', ''difficult to break down'' etc etc., up until England beat them. Sweden are now considered a ''bad team''.

Colombia were going to beat England. This was as evident as night and day. It was fact. Yet, nobody mentions them now. Oh yes, they didn't have James so ''would have beaten England if they had James''.

This England could beat Brazil 1970 or Cruyff's Dutch and the Anglophobes would say, ''Pele had an off day so it doesn't count'' haha.

It is as if England cannot do anything right, and the narrative has to be retconned each time England progress haha.

All these four teams are here on merit. All the teams that have departed left because they were not good enough. It is that simple. 

True, but sometimes the outcome of the match doesn't tell the whole story. For example, Germany also beat Sweeden. This time around Germany played like shit. England is doing everything right. Still others did everything wrong like Germany, Argentina, or Spain. Not to mention Italy and Netherland, teams that didn't even qualify. England played against Panama while Argentina played against Croatia. I think there is huge difference between Panama and Croatia. Despite the fact that Argentina was a total disaster. A much better Argentina still would've had a hard time against Croatia. The worst England team ever still would won against Panama

What England is doing does count. They earn it. But there is a what if this current England team plays against a much better Germany, Argentina, Spain or Italy teams at some point?  I would like to see that

57 minutes ago, Padme said:

True, but sometimes the outcome of the match doesn't tell the whole story. For example, Germany also beat Sweeden. This time around Germany played like shit. England is doing everything right. Still others did everything wrong like Germany, Argentina, or Spain. Not to mention Italy and Netherland, teams that didn't even qualify. England played against Panama while Argentina played against Croatia. I think there is huge difference between Panama and Croatia. Despite the fact that Argentina was a total disaster. A much better Argentina still would've had a hard time against Croatia. The worst England team ever still would won against Panama

What England is doing does count. They earn it. But there is a what if this current England team plays against a much better Germany, Argentina, Spain or Italy teams at some point?  I would like to see that

They could come undone by counter attacking teams like France and Belgium. France can tip tap too. So England tactics seem about right. But against players like Belgium and France they can hurt anyone. Definitely don’t get drawn into openly attacking them though. 

It’s a toss up between Croatia and England. Hopefully it’s more a tight nervy game than an open brawl like the Russia game. 

Edited by wasted

10 hours ago, killuridols said:

I will never understand why your countries are so weird, mixing all up, religion an race with nationality. In the USA they do the same. Pure fucking bollocks.

They make it that way themselves. The Moroccan team had several Dutch players, guys born and raised in Holland, but because their parents are from Morocco they consider themselves Moroccan first and play for the Moroccan team. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I do not understand it,

Sweden were considered ''tough opponent'', ''difficult to break down'' etc etc., up until England beat them. Sweden are now considered a ''bad team''.

Colombia were going to beat England. This was as evident as night and day. It was fact. Yet, nobody mentions them now. Oh yes, they didn't have James so ''would have beaten England if they had James''.

This England could beat Brazil 1970 or Cruyff's Dutch and the Anglophobes would say, ''Pele had an off day so it doesn't count'' haha.

It is as if England cannot do anything right, and the narrative has to be retconned each time England progress haha.

All these four teams are here on merit. All the teams that have departed left because they were not good enough. It is that simple. 

I have no idea about how Sweden was considered a tough opponent. That team really had one good game, being the victory against Mexico, and got the rest of the way by luck. To be honest, it's just baffling that we advanced instead of Germany. Sweden simply put lacks the talent to be a very dangerous team aggressively. And don't even get me started on them passing home as soon as they get the option to do so. Half the population saw Sweden as a bad team from the get-go.

I agree on that England deserve to be where they are, but I'm not so sure about whether they'd have done quite so well against Germany, had they not somehow lost vs South Korea. No disrespect, but Germany is a really good team, as is England.

Edited by Waemoth

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I do not understand it,

I dunno who you are talking about (possibly the English press because they love to hate), but I think England has been consistently good, expect them to get to the finals, and believe this WC will herald a new golden age for your national team. 

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I do not understand it,

Reminds me of the Philadelphia Eagles this past season .  When our starting QB went down no one gave us a chance and naysayers kept on making excuses as to why we kept advancing.  The team used that as motivation and went into every game with a chip on their shoulders. 

They went on to win the first ever Super Bowl Championship for Philadelphia and the rest is history.

Let England use the naysayers as motivation and prove them all wrong!

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I do not understand it,

Because people use the history of the team to predict their present behavior.... Maybe in people's minds, England was not a favorite because in the previous years they didn't get to this instance. Now they are in semis and that doesn't fit in some people's mind.

Same with Argentina, Germany, Brazil.... When this thread started very few thought those teams would be eliminated before quarters. Now people talk shit about Argentina but they forget we got to the final with Germany in the last World Cup. And Germany was the champion and now had to leave pretty soon.

Those kinda things make no sense but I guess football is like that.., I always say there's a big component of luck. Not to take any merit away from teams and their hard work, but football seems unpredictable sometimes.

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I do not understand it,

You used to take the mickey out of me for backin’ the lads :lol:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

You used to take the mickey out of me for backin’ the lads :lol:

This reminds me of that that day and a half when he was publicly supporting Rose (was it the Berlin show?) and we all thought this was because he was going to be elected moderator :lol:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, killuridols said:

This reminds me of that that day and a half when he was publicly supporting Rose (was it the Berlin show?) and we all thought this was because he was going to be elected moderator :lol:

To be fair to Dies’ he’s an arch piss-taker in general.

• Like 2

I think if you haven’t been following England you wouldn't have noticed that the squad is not full of spoiled stars. They are too young to be at that level. Plus theres been a revolution of style from 442 long ball to tic tac spanish style and we are seeing male models like Ali and Lingard playing like brazilians. It all started at the last WC when they lost playing this kind of style. 

7 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Like Tusnia? 

I'm fairly confident most of the board if asked if whether Tunisia played Mauritania or Mauritius in world cup qualification to climb the fifa rankings would not be able to answer without google. The point is the FIFA rankings don't properly take into account the wild gulf in class of some of the teams that countries are playing. 

Just now, AtariLegend said:

I'm fairly confident most of the board if asked if whether Tunisia played Mauritania or Mauritius in world cup qualification to climb the fifa rankings would not be able to answer without google. The point is the FIFA rankings don't properly take into account the wild gulf in class of some of the teams that countries are playing. 

I was just having a laugh about you misspelling Tunisia considering the context.

2 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

Yep, Poland didn't play anyone before the draw just to stay seeded - we all saw how great are they. In past, Croatia was always top 10 in FIFA rankings due to friendlies against low quality countries, but alway droped tournaments early. This time, they played against Brasil and Srnegal so they can prepare for African (Nigeria) and SA (Argentina) opponent in group stage - and here are they - World Cup semi final againt England...

Edited by -Jaro-
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'm hoping Belgium beat the frogs.

Suprised to see you cheering on Brussels.

Looks like Ronaldo to Juventus is actually happening. Madrid expected to go try and sign any combination of Neymar/Mbappe/Hazzard now.

Edited by AtariLegend

Just now, AtariLegend said:

Suprised to see you cheering on Brussels.

Looks like Ronaldo to Juventus is actually happeing. Madrid expected to go try and sign any combination of Neymar/Mbappe/Hazzard now.

I couldn't cheer on France. It is alien to my nature! Besides Belgium have never won a cup whereas the frogs won in 1998. I'd want Croatia to win before both France and Belgium but they play somebody else first!

• Haha 1

Vive le France!  I was just in Paris last month and was treated well while I was there....so rooting for France in this one.  Nothing against Belgium of course, they have a great team this year as well.   Really just hoping for a great match!