THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

It’s probably better to avoid Russia. Croatia or England are fine, England losing to Russia would be a nightmare. 

England have dodged playing anyone really good so far. Not evem sure France or Belgium are that good though. 

France seems to have played the hardest schedule and they have really brought it since the beginning of the elimination stage.   Belgium also seems to be peaking now...so France vs Belgium should be a spectacular match.  Croatia looks decent...they will come to play but I think they're beatable.

That leaves England...Kane has been a scoring machine, the defense has been steady and Pickford has been fantastic.  If Sterling can finish, England can compete with anyone left, including France or Belgium....Sterling is the X factor, imo.

31 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

France seems to have played the hardest schedule and they have really brought it since the beginning of the elimination stage.   Belgium also seems to be peaking now...so France vs Belgium should be a spectacular match. 

Yeah, I already said it a week ago:

On 1-7-2018 at 7:08 PM, EvanG said:

I'm seeing Belgium getting close to victory more and more... which would really piss me off, even if they deserve it, because in all fairness, they have a great team.

But it will probably be France.

It's going to be a fun match and the winner will probably win the final as well. I think overall France has a stronger team, so unless Belgium gets lucky again, France will probably be the new world champion. Croatia isn't playing great and the English team isn't good enough yet to compete against France or Belgium at this point.

So I'm rooting for France, because if Belgium wins I can never set foot inside of Belgium again, and that might be inconvenient because I live a few kms from the Dutch-Belgian border.

Edited by EvanG

The French haven't looked exactly unstoppable though, have they; beating Oz 2-1 with questionable refereeing; 1-0 v Peru and a tedious draw against the Danes. They only kicked into gear v Argentina but even there, they conceded 3 goals. Belgium have looked a bit better, albeit they struggled to score against Panama in the first half and conceded two goals against Japan. Both teams have grown into the competition - as have England. Croatia have sort of stumbled through.

Incidentally, that reminds me: game of the competition?

I'd go,

1/ Belgium v Japan (2nd half)

2/ France v Argentina

3/ Spain v Portugal

4/ Germany v Sweden (for drama)

5/ Germany v Korea (the last minute drama)

Worthy mention, Germany v Mexico. I heard Argentina-Nigeria and Spain-Morocco were good also but didn't see them.

Belgium does have the quality. But another disadvantage they have is the lack of experience... they're not used to playing with the big boys, they might cave in under pressure, like two years ago at the Euro cup when Wales, of all countries, beat them in the quarter-final.

IMO England a total outsider in the semis. Croatia, France, Belgium were labeled as favorites by many pools in different countries (especially Croatia and Belgium).

England a team none English fans hardly know more than 2 players, easy qualifying group at first, then the easiest group at the tournament by far. In fact so easy would they had been in any other, doubt they would have made it through. Then the penalties with Col and a bad game by Swe.

The other 3 play hot and cold.

7 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

Why are the cameras zooming in on all the hot Swedish female fans and none of the British female fans? Total mystery. 

It is a mystery indeed. British girls are hawt. During my last British trip, that went from London to Edinburgh, I saw, like, at least 4 hot chicks.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Yeah, I already said it a week ago:

It's going to be a fun match and the winner will probably win the final as well. I think overall France has a stronger team, so unless Belgium gets lucky again, France will probably be the new world champion. Croatia isn't playing great and the English team isn't good enough yet to compete against France or Belgium at this point.

So I'm rooting for France, because if Belgium wins I can never set foot inside of Belgium again, and that might be inconvenient because I live a few kms from the Dutch-Belgian border.

Like I said, if England makes it to the final vs Belgium or France, I think it will come down to how Sterling plays.  The guy could have had 2 maybe even 3 goals today had he finished.   At times, he looked  like the best player on the pitch...until it was time to score....seemed to be "overthinking it" vs just going with natural instincts.   If he gets it together, England can compete with either Belgium or France.

And the Croatian progression has come via two penalty shoot-outs! Why is England's one penalty shoot-out seen as evidence of an easier progression whilst the Croats are let completely off-the-hook for happening to progress by winning two of the things! And why is it that Sweden automatically had a ''bad game'' and not the reverse, England having a ''good game''. France had the rub of the green v Australia and only scraped one goal against Peru and Denmark apiece - why is this being forgotten?

And was England's group really the easiest?

bpanews_1a31e44c-6b7b-4e6b-87f5-ea1a4d59

According to that France's (and Brazil's) group were easier. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Look at this numpty -

And wasted said that English fans won't go nuts like Philly fans did when we won the Super Bowl....I have a feeling every major city in England will look like a wasteland the day after winning the cup....:lol:

24 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

And the Croatian progression has come via two penalty shoot-outs! Why is England's one penalty shoot-out seen as evidence of an easier progression whilst the Croats are let completely off-the-hook for happening to progress by winning two of the things! And why is it that Sweden automatically had a ''bad game'' and not the reverse, England having a ''good game''. France had the rub of the green v Australia and only scraped one goal against Peru and Denmark apiece - why is this being forgotten?

And was England's group really the easiest?

bpanews_1a31e44c-6b7b-4e6b-87f5-ea1a4d59

According to that France's (and Brazil's) group were easier. 

France was average during the group stage.  It's in the elimination stage where they have been very impressive and have beaten the toughest competition, imo. 

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

And wasted said that English fans won't go nuts like Philly fans did when we won the Super Bowl....I have a feeling every major city in England will look like a wasteland the day after winning the cup....:lol:

France was average during the group stage.  It's the elimination stage where they have been very impressive and have beaten the toughest competition, imo. 

I think out of the four teams France and Belgium beat, Japan were probably the best and really unfortunate to not progress (and I say that with all seriousness)! 

I was really referring to the groups specifically. But analysing the other second/quarter progressions, Croatia beat Denmark and Russia both on pens. England beat Colombia on pens and Sweden 2-0. I'd say England's 2nd/quarters were marginally harder but there is not a lot in it because of Russia's added home advantage.

Colombia were probably the best team going into the second round but the Colombians came out playing ugly anti-football so were their own worst enemy really (80-105th minute they were outplaying England during their only spell attacking!). The Danes and Swedes are very similar sides.

20 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I think out of the four teams France and Belgium beat, Japan were probably the best and really unfortunate to not progress (and I say that with all seriousness)! 

I was really referring to the groups specifically. But analysing the other second/quarter progressions, Croatia beat Denmark and Russia both on pens. England beat Colombia on pens and Sweden 2-0. I'd say England's 2nd/quarters were marginally harder but there is not a lot in it because of Russia's added home advantage.

Colombia were probably the best team going into the second round but the Colombians came out playing ugly anti-football so were their own worst enemy really (80-105th minute they were outplaying England during their only spell attacking!). The Danes and Swedes are very similar sides.

Oh I think England is the real deal.  I've been predicting and England vs France final since the elimination rounds started.  And based off the way both England and France have been playing, it would be a great match! 

11 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Some fans went to Ikea and jumped all over the beds and kicked the cushions around :lol:

28 years we’ve been waiting, 28 fuckin years, I’m a 35 yr old man and I can remember being a 7 yr old kiddie watching Italia 90...so fuck Ikea :lol:  I’m still pissed now and we started drinking 10 hours ago.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • GNFNR 1