THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

1 minute ago, AtariLegend said:

They asked Jurgen on the BBC prior to the semi's, that's not what he said.

Did it mean nothing to Croatia, Sweden or Turkey for example? 

Nobody cares. The managers of course produces waffle about, ''there still being a game to play that we want to win'' but ultimately nobody cares or wants to play it. Every team who plays that match is still looking back on the semi final, thinking of the missed opportunity, etc. 

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Nobody cares. The managers of course produces waffle about, ''there still being a game to play that we want to win'' but ultimately nobody cares or wants to play it. Every team who plays that match is still looking back on the semi final, thinking of the missed opportunity, etc. 

Well here in Sweden, getting that bronze is still seen today as a great achievement.

It's all a matter of perspective, if you came to the cup expecting to win it all then it's a poor performance. But, on the other hand if your team comes in there with low expectations and pulls off a bronze - that's a great result! 

I think a lot of teams which got reasonably far would be very happy to earn a bronze. Japan,  Russia, Sweden, Switzerland to name a few. 

Edited by Waemoth
  • Like 1

Commiserations to the English Forum members, I think this team is the first group of English players & Manager who have deserved a World Cup since probably 1990. There’s a spirit and unity in the squad, they are a young team and a young manager. Southgate is a class act, much as I like Big Sam, he wouldn’t have got them as far as Southgate has. 

Be proud, get over it, have a few pints.... You’ll be celebrating winning the Euro’s at home in London in 2 years time. 

(I can daydream about Ireland beating England, in London, but y’know...... 😂) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, moreblack said:

Croatia has to be running on fumes by now. France should pick them apart easily.

That's what english press, fans and players said, and see what happened - old and tired Croatia outrunned them.in extra-time....

I guess for the final - someone will have to lace up Mbappe 😀...

Before WC I said that France has 2 sets of 11 players that could play against eachother in finals... But, it's 1 game, Croatia ia on the run, they have great selfesteem after 3rd return in the game in the row...

France is probably better team, but it's 50-50 chance... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Axl_morris said:

I never understand why they bother about a 3rd place play off. What's the point? Two deflated teams battling it out for a place that's never remembered.

I guess it's a matter of half empty or half full. It could mean being the 3rd best team it's irrelevant. Or it means England is among elite teams. Opponets have respect. England is not a laugh stock anymore.

This WC teach us that football is a team sport. It wasn't about a bunch of clowns who were concerned about showing their six pack, haircut and tattoos on T.V.

10 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Bollocks.

The Germans do not give two shits that they won two consecutive back-to-back 3rd place matches 2006-2010. They don't care about any of that bollocks. Most are probably not even aware they won (or lost) a 3rd place match! The Brazilians do not remember ''the glory of 1978''.

That's because Germany and Brazil have actually won the WC these past decades. 3rd place is nothing exceptional for them :lol: But it would be for England or Belgium.

• Like 2

3rd (or even 4th if they lose) would be exceptional for England, a team who were never expected to get much beyond the groups and have rejuvenated our national game, but ultimately, nobody cares. It is not a problem with the expectations and performance of the teams themselves but the very existence of such a match in the first place. None of those England and Belgium players will be wanting to play that thing, and frankly they'll all just want to go home. 

Ultimately it is a match which can be best described as, ''which loser'', and I do not mean ''loser in the pejorative sense but the factual sense, ''is less shit?''. 

The Euros got rid of the 3rd place match after 1980. Why did they do that?

9 hours ago, Waemoth said:

if you came to the cup expecting to win it

Why enter a World Cup if ''you don't expect to win it''?

4 hours ago, -Jaro- said:

That's what english press, fans and players said, and see what happened - old and tired Croatia outrunned them.in extra-time....

I guess for the final - someone will have to lace up Mbappe 😀...

Before WC I said that France has 2 sets of 11 players that could play against eachother in finals... But, it's 1 game, Croatia ia on the run, they have great selfesteem after 3rd return in the game in the row...

France is probably better team, but it's 50-50 chance... 

France will be overwhelming favourites but I'll be rooting for you (you were my ''second team'' after Japan anyhow). You never know? This France are not the perfect team - they're not as good as the 1998-2000 team - and certainly a hell of a lot stranger things have happened in football such as Leicester City. I think your defenders will have to be perceptive about that Mbappe chap, who looks near unplayable. 

Also, Croatia are keeping alive the dream of a ''new'' World Cup winner rather than the same old bunch of knackers. It would be pleasing and fitting that such an unpredictable World Cup is concluded with a new World Cup winner. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

33 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Ask 90% of teams playing the world cup. Your mindset is either something specific to "the big nations", who have a serious chance of winning, or to England in particular. Do you seriously think Panama went into the World Cup expecting to win it? No, I didn't think so, and neither did you.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Waemoth said:

Ask 90% of teams playing the world cup. Your mindset is either something specific to "the big nations", who have a serious chance of winning, or to England in particular. Do you seriously think Panama went into the World Cup expecting to win it? No, I didn't think so, and neither did you.

Yes. As why even get onto the plane in the first place?

17 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

There are many teams entering the WC and they know they have zero chance. But they might have one or two players who are or could be above average. Those players are given the opportunity to show themselves to the world. And eventually Manchester United may sign them. 

Just now, Padme said:

There are many teams entering the WC and they know they have zero chance. But they might have one or two players who are or could be above average. Those players are given the opportunity to show themselves to the world. And eventually Manchester United may sign them. 

I don't agree. Every team should assume the mentality that there is a belief ''they can win the thing'', or why even bother in the first place? 

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I don't agree. Every team should assume the mentality that there is a belief ''they can win the thing'', or why even bother in the first place? 

One of the reason why we have the WC is because of what I said. I don't like it. I'm just telling you the reality of the situation. If it was up to me I would have all European teams and five or six teams from the Americas. And that would be it. In that case all or most of them would have real chances to win