THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

48 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I do not know what the Panamanians were thinking but if any team enters the World Cup not thinking he can win it, then there is no point in going. Fundamentally it is only six-seven football matches in a row.

Understand that all 32 teams have traversed a qualification campaign to begin with - beating other teams, seeing other teams fall by the wayside - so there already is this criteria which they have met just to be on the plane to a World Cup. All teams deserve to be there. 

One thing is to qualify winning against Germany or Italy. And another thing is to qualify winning against Nicaragua or Canada. Panama won the right to be in Russia. They showed up to play. England scored 6 goals against them. They celebrated the 6-1 score.  They were just happy to play. They were not expecting to win anything.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Padme said:

One thing is to qualify winning against Germany or Italy. And another thing is to qualify winning against Nicaragua or Canada. Panama won the right to be in Russia. They showed up to play. England scored 6 goals against them. They celebrated the 6-1 score.  They were just happy to play. They were not expecting to win anything.

Well this particular team can can act however they wanted to act, or felt like acting at the time, but again - I repeat - if you don't enter a World Cup thinking you can win, there is no point getting on the plane. 

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Consider where they have come from?

Iceland 2016!!!

England have literally jumped from being a sort of joke team, a bunch of clueless millionaires with no footballing abilities, into the top four teams of the FIFA World Cup. This lot have done better than your Beckhams and Lampards or any of those wankers. There has been this whole era of wank, and now we are back. 

I did point that out in the previous post though in a slightly roundabout way when I was discussing the feeling of pointlessness surrounding the ‘battle’ for second place.

1 hour ago, moreblack said:

Yeah where was he when Bale came on?

I believe its called ‘in deep shit’ 

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

If Southgate plays the reserves against Belgium on Saturday, then it doesn't scream this match is pointless. It screams that he doesn't think they can beat Belgium.

With the injuries and exhaustion Cahill, Rose, Rashford, Dier might all start.

42 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well this particular team can can act however they wanted to act, or felt like acting at the time, but again - I repeat - if you don't enter a World Cup thinking you can win, there is no point getting on the plane. 

That’s your opinion, obviously not representative of reality for many of these teams.

• Like 1

Consider where they have come from?

Iceland 2016!!!

England have literally jumped from being a sort of joke team, a bunch of clueless millionaires with no footballing abilities, into the top four teams of the FIFA World Cup. This lot have done better than your Beckhams and Lampards or any of those wankers. There has been this whole era of wank, and now we are back. 

So....England is back bc they beat the poorest team in the finals 6-1, struggled to a 2-1 victory over a fairly weak Tunisia, had to go to kicks to beat Columbia (who barely qualified for the knockout round) and was without their best player.

englands only legitimate and impressive performance  was against Sweden.  They got dominated by Croatia.  You’re right..:.theyre back!

They enter because FIFA want them in. As I said before. The point to get on the plane for Panama, Iran or Australia is that maybe one player is above average. And that one player could end up playing for a team like Arsenal or Real Madrid. But as a national team they know they don't have a chance to win the WC. 

1 hour ago, tsinindy said:

So....England is back bc they beat the poorest team in the finals 6-1, struggled to a 2-1 victory over a fairly weak Tunisia, had to go to kicks to beat Columbia (who barely qualified for the knockout round) and was without their best player.

englands only legitimate and impressive performance  was against Sweden.  They got dominated by Croatia.  You’re right..:.theyre back!

I think you're a bit late to the party.

1 hour ago, moreblack said:

Don't think Panama set sail for Russia thinking they'd be returning home with the trophy.

I can throw the reverse question back at you and say, ''do you think Panama set sail for Russia thinking they be thumped in the groups?''.

We are also selecting Panama here, the absolute worst team in the competition. Most teams, and this is in reply to Padme also, are more middling-good, Japan/S. Korea, Australia and the USA, the superior African teams, the Eastern Europeans and Scandinavians, the Colombians. Perhaps even England, Uruguay, Portugal and even Spain have belonged to the upper echelons of this category at times, but I'll omit them (as I'll do with Belgium) for various reasons, historic, domestic and otherwise? 

All these teams - probably the great majority of the 32 teams who enter the World Cup Finals - should certainly be striving to win the World Cup, and I make no apologies in saying that. In most World Cups there are a few of these teams who make the final eight and sometimes the final four, lower middling teams and outright minnows in italics, semi-finalists in bold; obviously my rankings have an element of subjectivity and chronological variance and I do realise that (so no need to contest them),

2018, Everybody was middling but France and Brazil!

2014, Costa Rica, Colombia

2010,  Ghana, Paraguay

2006, Ukraine 

2002, United States, South Korea, Senegal, Turkey

1998, Denmark, Croatia (in those days)

1994, Romania, Sweden, Bulgaria

1990, Republic of Ireland, Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, Cameroon

I could continue...

(It can be seen that 1990, 1994 and 2002 have been the most open for countries outside the superpowers whilst the most superpower dominated has been 2006.)

Are you seriously suggesting that countries of the aforementioned calbre will not one day win two-three more football matches in a row, lifting the World Cup? Are you seriously suggesting ''Greece 2004'' cannot be reproduced on a global stage? 

Edited by DieselDaisy
Editorial.

25 minutes ago, Padme said:

They enter because FIFA want them in. As I said before. The point to get on the plane for Panama, Iran or Australia is that maybe one player is above average. And that one player could end up playing for a team like Arsenal or Real Madrid. But as a national team they know they don't have a chance to win the WC. 

I know for a fact that Australians are incapable of thinking like that. It isn't in their DNA. You could enter an Australian into hurling or pick the most nationally esoteric sport and they'd expect to win. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moreblack said:

Yeah where was he when Bale came on?

Well, in that game (CL final) he was only LFC player who was on the level wit Madrid players (after Salah was injured). He is great defender but here and thwre he does great and spectacular mistakes.

He said he is one of the best defenders - well results say so - CL final, WC final, top 4 in the most competative league in the world - and he is regular first 11 member.

This WC he played almist without any errors, and winning almost every tackle and is paet of finals.

Somebody mentioned Varane - noone said he isn't also one of the best defenders today.

Other topic - croatia '98 (and euro '96) was product of former yugoslavia - main players were part of '87 youth world cup winners...

After that generation we were almost nowhere - group stage or even not qualifing at all (smth like England between 1990 and 2018). When Modric and co came there were (still are) problems on our FA - national managers were total begginers (Bilic, Kovac, Stimac...) or amateurs (Cacic) and main man was criminal (today hiding abroad) whose only interest was earning money trough transfers. And you cant sell player from poor league to big clubs without national team as shopwindow ao his influence on poor or unexperienced manager was big.

After start of his downfall his influence is weakening (still not gone), Dalic came to save almost ruined chance to qualify to this WC. And he has coachin career in Asia so he is not like those before without knowledge and experience. With him players from Real, Barcelona, Inter, Liverpool, Juventus started to play like they play in their clubs and are in final of their last WC...

What is future of Croatian football novody knows - we have no system, we are masters of improvisation...

Fuck - there is no normal stadium in Croatia 😃

6 minutes ago, moreblack said:

For every Cameroon underdog story though there's teams like El Salvador and Canada who had to know how it was gonna go.

Those teams are outnumbered greatly by teams that are more middling though - a reasonably hard qualification ensures that. Look at the teams in this years edition. Only Panama, Iran and Saudis, Costa Rica - maybe Peru, Iceland and Morocco? - fall into the absolute minnow category. Most of the teams were of a slightly higher standard, or had reasons of their own to perform better than what they had currently been doing (e.g., home advantage for the Ruskies). 

6 minutes ago, -Jaro- said:

Somebody mentioned Varane - noone said he isn't also one of the best defenders today.

Oh I've heard English pundits say Maguire was the best player in the tournament, try to say they didn't like Varane as a defender.

Edited by AtariLegend

Just now, AtariLegend said:

Oh I've heard English pundits say Maguire was the best player in the tournament, try to say they didn't like Varane as a defender.

I wouldn't go that far but Maguire would certainly make my XI of the competition, as would Trippier and Pickford from England (Pickford edges out that Korean keeper who was also superb). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Yep - i guess they prefer chris smalling and similar players - that's why Real won 3 champion leagues in the row, Euro and World titles (and finals) avoid England forever...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, -Jaro- said:

Yep - i guess they prefer chris smalling and similar players - that's why Real won 3 champion leagues in the row, Euro and World titles (and finals) avoid England forever...

Irrelevant. If we are assessing a player's merits in this competition alone Maguire has been immense. I mean nobody is going to select Messi, are they?

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Irrelevant. If we are assessing a player's merits in this competition alone Maguire has been immense. I mean nobody is going to select Messi, are they?

Varane was fantastic in this tournament alone, before we mention him winning 4/5 champions leagues. He's got better and better. One of the best players on the field in that France/Belgium match.

It'd be silly to say Varane is not a shoo in for the team of the tournament XI they put out at the end, regardless of the result of the next match.

Honestly the only England player that impressed me (i.e not diving like Ali, Lingard and actually being pretty good) was Pickford. He was getting alot slack early on this tournament, but he seemed to be like the kind guy I'd want captaining my team *if I supported England* in a few years. Great saves and looked like he gave a fuck. That's despite the fact he plays for Everton. 

Trippier was the best England player. Maguire was a revelation. Jury is out on Sterling, Ali, Lingard or that system. We played like brazil not caring about winning. I’d like to see a few more leg breakers. 

Honestly I can’t see what Dier is for. 

In 2016, Kane signed a contract that locked in his pay at £100,000 (roughly $132,310) a week, plus bonuses. During this time, he broke several team and league records, including scoring an unprecedented 39 goals during the 2017 calendar year.

His contract with Tottenham was set to run until 2022, but in June, the club announced that Kane had signed a new six-year contract with the team. The Guardian reports that this new contract more than doubled Kane’s salary to £200,000 (approximately $264,627) a week — plus hefty potential bonuses.

According to Bleacher Report, the striker could earn as much as £15 million (roughly $19.8 million) a year and £90 million (around $119 million) over the course of the new six-year deal, depending on the size of his bonuses.

I felt bad for them for an hour then I decided to hate them again.