THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

40 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

To do that the Luftwaffe would have had to gain air superiority over Britain, something which they failed at during the Battle of Britain (1940). Sea Lion was postponed indefinitely September-October 1940, German forces released for other fronts. D-Day/Liberation of Europe did not occur until 1944-45, so there is this big chronological gap in your theory.

My theory is that Britain wasn't only fighting the Nazis to liberate the rest of Europe out of the goodness of their hearts, but also to keep them from entering Britain, and they did a fantastic job as you pointed out. So your initial ''go fuck yourself Johnny Foreigner'' comment doesn't add up, and that's what I meant.

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

My theory is that Britain wasn't only fighting the Nazis to liberate the rest of Europe out of the goodness of their hearts, but also to keep them from entering Britain, and they did a fantastic job as you pointed out. So your initial ''go fuck yourself Johnny Foreigner'' comment doesn't add up, and that's what I meant.

How would ''they enter Britain'' if the Luftwaffe had already failed to beat the RAF in 1940, failing to achieve air superiority, and the implementation of Sea Lion had already been suspended - NB, your chronological conflation of 1940 and 1944-45? It is a nonsense. 

But, although your reasoning may be flawed, broadly their is a truthfulness in what you are saying, in that no power is absolutely altruistic. Even the support/implementation of representative democracies based around the precept of self-determination - the general aim of the Anglophonic (soon to be NATO) powers - sought to create friendly and similar independent allies/buffer states.  

Traditional British foreign policy since the 16th century always aimed to deter a single superpower controlling Europe, particularly pertaining to the Low Countries, the ''cockpit of Europe''.  

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

How would ''they enter Britain'' if the Luftwaffe had already failed to beat the RAF in 1940, failing to achieve air superiority, and the implementation of Sea Lion had already been suspended - NB, your chronological conflation of 1940 and 1944-45? It is a nonsense. 

But, although your reasoning may be flawed, broadly their is a truthfulness in what you are saying, in that no power is absolutely altruistic. Even the support/implementation of representative democracies based around the precept of self-determination - the general aim of the Anglophonic (soon to be NATO) powers - sought to create friendly and similar independent allies/buffer states.  

Traditional British foreign policy since the 16th century always aimed to deter a single superpower controlling Europe, particularly pertaining to the Low Countries, the ''cockpit of Europe''.  

How is my reasoning flawed? I don't even think we are talking about the same thing here.

With your ''Johnny Foreigner'' comment you made it sound like you were doing the rest of Europe a favour by rescuing us from the Germans and we should show our gratitude. Right? And yes, your nation did help liberate the rest of Europe and defeat the Nazis, although things didn't start looking that way until the United States and Canada got involved, but let's forget about that for a second for the sake of argument.

Point I'm trying to make is, you were also saving your own asses, and rightfully so. It's not like Britain wasn't heavily bombed and you didn't fight back fiercely when they tried to occupy Britain, and that you only got involved in the war to help us poor nations. Right? So again... your initial comment doesn't add up.

16 hours ago, killuridols said:

How is it feeling superior to speak the language of your own fucken country? :question:

Its just the feeling I got. I been to several countries, asked for directions, and only in France(Paris) where I felt unwelcomed by people there. I got lost in Japan, asked directions to some Japanese, even if they cant speak english they really tried to help me. One even chased me and told me Im goin to the wrong direction. Same in Spain, a girl accompanied me to the destination. 

At first I thought it just a bad experience, but I read around, and its their nature. As I said, even other French people said Parisians are like this. I am only 10 days in France so I really dont see the need to learn their language, except the basics. So of course I spoke english and english isnt even my language. 

Anyway, LETS GO CROATIA!!!

Edited by ChristmasFnatic

I've got a vague impression that there is a missing link in the narratives of the Nazi defeat in Europe here. Could it have "something" to do with the country hosting the WC? Nah, the Nazis never went there; or maybe they did and they defeated themselves!

6 hours ago, Lio said:

I agree with @killuridols in that English speaking people are spoiled and often just assume anyone can speak English. I hate that attitude. It's not even about trying to speak the language of the country you are a guest to, but even being annoyed at people there not understanding English. But in the case in Paris, it was a South American/Asian person. They could've tried to help him, tourism is very important to Paris after all, so I think they should be more accomodating to tourists. No need to behave like an asshole.

Many French people still think French is the world language it used to be, that's probably part of the problem as well.

Lastly, I do hope you were joking though when you said they were entitled to feel superior, with all their history and culture :o

Lol yeah, kinda :P

I mean, they know their worth and I have nothing against that. Trying to deny it would be dumb. Of course, they are not entitled to act superior because of that or mistreat tourists because of that. I have never been to Paris but I have heard from people who went there the same stories that some of you are describing here.

What I think is that when you go to a place where you dont know the language, the best is to find a tourist guide or ask for aid in tourist offices. People in the streets dont want to be bothered by random people and if they are speaking in a different language they don't know, it can get messy.

Nah, I dont think the French believe French is the "world language" nowadays. What they are doing is protecting their culture and language from the Anglo domination, as that culture has penetrated pretty deep in many other places.

In Spain, they kinda do the same and for example, they show movies all dubbed to Spanish, no traces of English if that's the language of the movie. And in Latinamerica, we've had a similar switch in the past years, because the movies and series that we get through cable tv are all dubbed, not subtitled. I know this is a policy to protect the Spanish language from the Anglo domination.

21 minutes ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

At first I thought it just a bad experience, but I read around, and its their nature. As I said, even other French people said Parisians are like this. I am only 10 days in France so I really dont see the need to learn their language, except the basics. So of course I spoke english and english isnt even my language. 

I know..... well, like I said before, I think the population doesnt owe the tourists to be speaking every language of every person that visits them. That should be required and mandatory for people who work in the tourist market.

Speaking other languages is something that requires lots of effort and of course, means to get such education. Not everybody has that possibility.

5 minutes ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

^^^ They could atleast point or say they dont speak english. They ignore me completely like Im some beggar. One woman stopped but when she learned I dont speak French, just walked away.

Maybe they didn't even know what language you were speaking? If they don't know English, how will they tell you they don't speak English :shrugs:

Edited by killuridols

8 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Maybe they didn't even know what language you were speaking? If they don't know English, how will they tell you they don't speak English :shrugs:

Just sign language maybe, nod? And I doubt they dont know what english is. Point is, if they dont want to help, fine, but atleast acknowledge and not be rude about it. Many Japanese/Koreans here in Phils., a few ask directions, I point or if I dont understand, I say I dont speak.

And again, its  not just me, even other tourists or non Parisians agree to this.

That said, that was not deliberate handball! WTF?!

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

In Spain, they kinda do the same and for example, they show movies all dubbed to Spanish, no traces of English if that's the language of the movie. And in Latinamerica, we've had a similar switch in the past years, because the movies and series that we get through cable tv are all dubbed, not subtitled. I know this is a policy to protect the Spanish language from the Anglo domination.

Most European countries show movies/series dubbed, while the countries that use subtitles all speak English rather well. Nowadays it's a bit different because people grow up with the internet, but before the internet most people in those countries barely spoke English because they didn't hear it a lot. In my country there has always been subtitles for movies/series, and that's one of the reasons why most people here speak fluent English.

From my travels and stays in other European countries, I've noticed that most French people speak English somewhat but they don't like speaking it, while most Spaniards want to but barely speak it.

Edited by EvanG

6 minutes ago, -Jaro- said:

Fuck fuck fuck... croatia destroyed France, but we destroyed ourselves also...

You saw a 100% clear penalty? I can say there is a hand and there is a ball making contact. But I guess only the player knows what he meant to do. If in this case there was a call. Then from now on every single time the ball touches a given player hand. It's a penalty

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, -Jaro- said:

We fucked ourselves...

France played smart and had a lot of luck...

Yous played better.  Much better.  Bit of bad luck and moments of individual brilliance from France but really yous were an OG and a questionable pen from being evens.  They didnt really play very well, very cohesively.

Anyway well played France.

Edited by Len Cnut

1 hour ago, moreblack said:

Called it, Croats running on fumes. It's over. 

I called it 1,5 week ago, you can read it back. I don't even know that much about football, but this one was kinda obvious.

Edited by EvanG

Well, France played well and won as a consequence! Kind of sad to see Croatia lose though, as I find them far more entertaining to watch. 

I disagree heavily with giving the freekick leading to the first goal. Yellow card on Griezmann, play on. 

30 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Yous played better.  Much better.  Bit of bad luck and moments of individual brilliance from France but really yous were an OG and a questionable pen from being evens.  They didnt really play very well, very cohesively.

Anyway well played France.

Penalty was spot-on... Foul before 1st goal not so much, but we in Balkan have saying:

"Ko igra za raju i zanemaruje taktiku zavrsit ce karijeru u nizeraznednom Vratniku"

Tranalated it means " one who play to entertain,and neglects the tactics will continue hia career in non league club.."

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

The Croatian president in a wet t-shirt competition: I think I'm in love.

Did you see Putin with the sole umbrella? Chivalry ehh?

Some of tabloids posted Coco-T pics and said it's Kolinda in the past...

567a89f7-f620-4094-aa46-260d0a0a0a6d-kol

😂