THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I even argued for other nations hosting (Argentina, Spain) if you had bothered to read the full quote rather than citing the flimsiest morsel. Heck, you Dutch should have hosted one by now, perhaps jointly with Belgium (or perhaps not depending on your national inclination)?

Sometimes I think that you're a sockpuppet on here promoting England every chance you get.

I'd rather not have retarded beer drinking hooligans coming here. There are enough already.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Sometimes I think that you're a sockpuppet on here promoting England every chance you get.

I'd rather not have retarded beer drinking hooligans coming here. There are enough already.

I'm neither Uruguayan, Spanish nor Argentine yet in the part of the quotation you chose to omit, I said those three countries are long overdue a World Cup also! 

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'm neither Uruguayan, Spanish nor Argentine yet in the part of the quotation you chose to omit, I said those three countries are long overdue a World Cup also! 

I was referring to a lot of your posts, as I've done before. But then you didn't understand it either.

11 minutes ago, Padme said:

I heard there is a possibility of England in 2030. BUT not in England only, Portugal and Morocco as well. Meaning the 3 of them. It's being discussed by FIFA apparently. Why not Argentina and Uruguay in 2030? Because in 2026 the WC takes place in the Americas with the U.S. Mexico and Canada hosting the WC. So there is pretty much no chance of two WC in the Americas in a row.

For 2030,

- Uruguay, Argentina (increased to Paraguay), joint bid for 2030. 

- England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland

- A pan-Asian one, Korea, Japan, China

- North African one, Morocco etc.

Paraguay have only every hosted a Copa America. 

36 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

For 2030,

I don't think there will be two WC in a row in the Americas. I would like to see Scadinavian countries hosting at some point. Last time around was Sweeden 1958. Why not Sweeden again with Norway or Denmark or some other combination? 

How about Croatia co-hosting with someone else?

UK or England and Ireland

43 minutes ago, Padme said:

So there is pretty much no chance of two WC in the Americas in a row.

North and Central America have their own federation CONCACAF that's separate from the South America federation CONMEBOL. They're separate regions and for rotational purposes would be counted as such.

However the rotational rule as it stands blocks (because Qatar is hosting it in 22) the Japan, China, North Korea, South Korea block bid *however I'm sure they could change it, or they could bid for 2034*.

The CAF block bid with Morocco, Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria bid is unrealistic. Qatar is one thing as a regime, but would it be safe for a million odd people to flood into those countries to watch football games?

The bid of Cyrpus/Greece/Israel (UEFA) is never going to happen, because of Israel. 

So the two most obvious choices currently are the (UEFA) UK bid (although voting would be in 2022, let's see what Brexit Britain looks like then and if it effects voting) and the CONMEBOL one of Uruguay (where it all started), Argentina and Paraguay.

Since 2030 is the Centenary World Cup (which might work in the joint Uruguay's bid favor), it wouldn't be out off the realm of possibility for them to do what they're doing with the Euro's in 2020 and simply host it every where and let countries bid for separate sections of the tournament.

4 hours ago, Juventino said:

Definitely, it won't be the same. Not exactly looking forward to it and I'm thinking I'd rather go to Euro 2020, although that too won't have the same tournament feel given it's being played across Europe.

Fifa and Uefa are really messing things up. But maybe it will spread football around the world. But like in Dubai if you get drunk weird things happen you end up in jail. So you just end up locked in your hotel. So maybe US Mex Canada WC is a better one. England fans didn’t even fancy Russia much, so Qatar there won’t be much. 

I think Spain could pull off a belter of a World Cup. Hot weather, solid football heritage. Not far for the hooligans to travel to and let's be honest those guys always liven things up don't they? I think a tournament loses a certain something without the images of pissed hooligans chucking chairs about and the local riot police turning up with the water cannons.

Fat fellas sliding around the floor as the water pipes get turned on them is as summery as strawberries and cream.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

For 2030,

We are pooooooooooooooooooor now.... we should have hosted it in the past decade, somewhere between 2003 and 2010 :rolleyes:

But now with that asshole dumb fuckhead for President that we have, we can't afford not even one stadium.

If you want us to host it (which would be awesome because we would make it lively) you have to help us get rid of that idiot and then help us become cool again.

Maybe by 2030 we can make it.

I'd love a WC in Spain, Portugal, England or the Scandinavian countries, but aren't they a bit small? :shrugs:

24 minutes ago, killuridols said:

We are pooooooooooooooooooor now.... we should have hosted it in the past decade, somewhere between 2003 and 2010 :rolleyes:

But now with that asshole dumb fuckhead for President that we have, we can't afford not even one stadium.

If you want us to host it (which would be awesome because we would make it lively) you have to help us get rid of that idiot and then help us become cool again.

Maybe by 2030 we can make it.

I'd love a WC in Spain, Portugal, England or the Scandinavian countries, but aren't they a bit small? :shrugs:

That is why everybody is co-hosting these days: nobody can afford it. Even the Yanks are co-hosting with Mexico and Canada!

Argentina did host the Copa America in 2011 but you'd be collaborating with the Uruguayans and Paraguayans for 2030; they'd take presumably around 2/3rds of the financing and infrastructure (e.g., if Montevideo picked up the opener, Paraguay would receive the two semis and Buenos Aires the final, or vice versa - that sort of arrangement). 

44 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

That is why everybody is co-hosting these days: nobody can afford it. Even the Yanks are co-hosting with Mexico and Canada!

Argentina did host the Copa America in 2011 but you'd be collaborating with the Uruguayans and Paraguayans for 2030; they'd take presumably around 2/3rds of the financing and infrastructure (e.g., if Montevideo picked up the opener, Paraguay would receive the two semis and Buenos Aires the final, or vice versa - that sort of arrangement). 

Yes, in 2011 we were still good :rolleyes:

But Copa America is nowhere near the amount of money you need for the WC..... also, receiving all those tourists from all over the world and the security needed, because here "the friends of what belong to others" will make themselves a party with so many foreigners! :facepalm::ph34r:

We hosted the WC in 1978, I guess.... lol.... We have two new stadiums that could do for two matches :lol: but the River Plate one needs full remodelling!

Just now, killuridols said:

Yes, in 2011 we were still good :rolleyes:

But Copa America is nowhere near the amount of money you need for the WC..... also, receiving all those tourists from all over the world and the security needed, because here "the friends of what belong to others" will make themselves a party with so many foreigners! :facepalm::ph34r:

We hosted the WC in 1978, I guess.... lol.... We have two new stadiums that could do for two matches :lol: but the River Plate one needs full remodelling!

The ticker tape world cup? Ticker tape everywhere!!

Just now, killuridols said:

How come there's a colored photo? :lol:

All I've seen from that time is black and white :ph34r:

The whole thing was filmed in colour (as has every cup since 1970). I watched the final a few years' ago.

PS

Just tried to find it but it has disappeared, but here are the highlights,

Gloriously fascist overtones haha. 

But Kempes was some player. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The whole thing was filmed in colour (as has every cup since 1970). I watched the final a few years' ago.

PS

Just tried to find it but it has disappeared, but here are the highlights,

Gloriously fascist overtones haha. 

But Kempes was some player. 

Lol, I never watched this! and I dont know why everytime they show it here, its all black n' white :shrugs:

You think that ticker tape was just annoying as the vuvuzelas? :lol:

Yeah, Kempes was great. He's got a big newish stadium with his name. Well done, there.

5 minutes ago, EvanG said:

^ If Cruijff had been there, there might have been a different outcome. Such a shame.

Graeme should be posting this but he has decided to become a Mexican so I guess it is up to me, summoning up all of the patriotism of my northern ancestry,

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I like everything about Scotland, the people, the weather, Edinburgh, Shirley Manson, so I don't mind that ^

Of course you will. In fact it is your ideal place thinking about it!

The wonderful thing about Gemmill's goal is the chap looked like your dad or somebody from the local boozer.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Of course you will. In fact it is your ideal place thinking about it!

The wonderful thing about Gemmill's goal is the chap looked like your dad or somebody from the local boozer.

I don't know why you emphasized 'the people', but the people I met when I was in Scotland were all modest and just lovely. You English chaps could learn a thing or two from them.

I've never heard of Gemmill, but he does look like he's in his 40s in that clip.

Just now, EvanG said:

I don't know why you emphasized 'the people', but the people I met when I was in Scotland were all modest and just lovely. You English chaps could learn a thing or two from them.

I've never heard of Gemmill, but he does look like he's in his 40s in that clip.

They're of Presbyterian disposition. You'd love them.

It is good you are using ''chaps'' now and have ditched that awful American slang.

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

They're of Presbyterian disposition. You'd love them.

It is good you are using ''chaps'' now and have ditched that awful American slang.

Can't help it, more than 30 years of American television and a half-Canadian mother does that to you. You should hear the accent, people think I'm American, which isn't something to be proud about either, I know, but it beats sounding posh or like the Gallaghers.