THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

1 hour ago, AtariLegend said:

Varane was fantastic in this tournament alone, before we mention him winning 4/5 champions leagues. He's got better and better. One of the best players on the field in that France/Belgium match.

It'd be silly to say Varane is not a shoo in for the team of the tournament XI they put out at the end, regardless of the result of the next match.

Honestly the only England player that impressed me (i.e not diving like Ali, Lingard and actually being pretty good) was Pickford. He was getting alot slack early on this tournament, but he seemed to be like the kind guy I'd want captaining my team *if I supported England* in a few years. Great saves and looked like he gave a fuck. That's despite the fact he plays for Everton. 

Your reason for not supporting England was sketchy ('Brexit'?!) and made no logical sense. I mean at least the Scots are consistent and do not form some weird reason for supporting England's opposition!

My ''World Cup 2018 XI'' would go something like, 3-5-2 formation,

Lukaku (Bel), Cavani (Ur)

Hazard (Bel), Isco (Sp), Griezmann (Fr), Mbappe (Fr), Trippier (En)

Maguire (En), Godin (c, Uru),  Gimenez (Ur)  

Pickford (gk, En)

Coach: Southgate (En) and the Waistcoat (Marks and Spencers).

Subs: Kane (En), Cheryshev (Rus), Costa (Sp), Inui (Jap), Dzyuba (Rus), C. Ronaldo (Port), Pogba (Fr), Modric (Cr),  Varane (Fr), JO Hyeonwoo (gk, S. Kor).

Probably need a couple more defenders on my sub bench and think about how the midfield would shape up, but something along those lines.

PS

Forgot De Bruyne! He gave a few passes away v France so misses out on my starting eleven. He can make my bench though - ditch Ronaldo or Pogba, both of whom just made my bench, if needs be (Ronaldo solely for that performance against Spain). 

Edited by DieselDaisy

40 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Your reason for not supporting England was sketchy ('Brexit'?!) and made no logical sense. I mean at least the Scots are consistent and do not form some weird reason for supporting England's opposition!

My ''World Cup 2018 XI'' would go something like, 3-5-2 formation,

Lukaku (Bel), Cavani (Ur)

Hazard (Bel), Isco (Sp), Griezmann (Fr), Mbappe (Fr), Trippier (En)

Maguire (En), Godin (c, Uru),  Gimenez (Ur)  

Pickford (gk, En)

Coach: Southgate (En) and the Waistcoat (Marks and Spencers).

Subs: Kane (En), Cheryshev (Rus), Costa (Sp), Inui (Jap), Dzyuba (Rus), C. Ronaldo (Port), Pogba (Fr), Modric (Cr),  Varane (Fr), JO Hyeonwoo (gk, S. Kor).

Probably need a couple more defenders on my sub bench and think about how the midfield would shape up, but something along those lines.

PS

Forgot De Bruyne! He gave a few passes away v France so misses out on my starting eleven. He can make my bench though - ditch Ronaldo or Pogba, both of whom just made my bench, if needs be (Ronaldo solely for that performance against Spain). 

Okay for me, so far;

Pickford (England)

Pavard (France), Godin (Uruguay), Varane (France), Vida (Croatia)

Pogba (France), De Bruyne (Belgium), Modric (Croatia)

Mbappe (France), Hazard (Belgium), Coutinho (Brazil)

Bench:

Ronaldo (Portugal), Umtiti (France), Cavani (Uruguay), Kante (France), Cheryshev (Russia), Honda (Japan), William (Brazil), Courtois (Belgium)... Not naming the full 11 subs.

Edited by AtariLegend

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Vida would make my ''top ten Bond Henchmen'' list.

Vida is shaken not stirred. 

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Jagger is really a cricket fan. He is a permanent feature at Lord's during an England test match.

Does he take his own sandwich or Keef’s mince pie?

5 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

Okay for me, so far;

Pickford (England)

Pavard (France), Godin (Uruguay), Varane (France), Vida (Croatia)

Pogba (France), De Bruyne (Belgium), Modric (Croatia)

Mbappe (France), Hazard (Belgium), Coutinho (Brazil)

Bench:

Ronaldo (Portugal), Umtiti (France), Cavani (Uruguay), Kante (France), Cheryshev (Russia), Honda (Japan), William (Brazil), Courtois (Belgium)... Not naming the full 11 subs.

Courtois - Hernandez, Varane, Lovren, Pavard - Pogba, Rakitic, Modric - Mbappe, Griezman , Coutinho

9 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I know for a fact that Australians are incapable of thinking like that. It isn't in their DNA. You could enter an Australian into hurling or pick the most nationally esoteric sport and they'd expect to win. 

This is not the first time Australia participates in the WC. They haven't won anything yet. They were not capable to reach the round of 16. But I know it is in Australia DNA to beat the All Blacks. They are expected to beat the All Blacks. I'm always rooting for Australia when they play against New Zealand. Rugby is by far much more popular sport in Australia than football. I don't think this is going to change any time soon.

4 hours ago, Padme said:

This is not the first time Australia participates in the WC. They haven't won anything yet. They were not capable to reach the round of 16. But I know it is in Australia DNA to beat the All Blacks. They are expected to beat the All Blacks. I'm always rooting for Australia when they play against New Zealand. Rugby is by far much more popular sport in Australia than football. I don't think this is going to change any time soon.

Australians possess a competitiveness which does not really take any consideration on how popular a sport is, just that there is the very existence of a ''sport'' in the first place, and that the Australians want to win it. Trust me. I spend half my life arguing with Aussies and they would not even contemplate entering something if they didn't they they could win it. 

Australia is actually split between the two football codes: Rugby is popular in Queensland and New South Wales whilst the rest of the county prefer AFL. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

I put in a number of competitions and stumbled upon this,

WIN AN AMERICAN TOURISTER SOUNDBOX SUITCASE SIGNED BY CRISTIANO RONALDO

tourister-2.jpg?crop=&fit=crop&h=420&w=5

What on earth am I supposed to do with a signed Ronaldo suitcase?

Edited by DieselDaisy

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Jagger is always in the corporate boxes alongside Steven Fry, Michael Parkinson and John Major. 

Prawn sandwich brigade. 

I read that Keef makes his own min ce pie on tour. But he might have been drunk and lying. 

1 hour ago, wasted said:

Prawn sandwich brigade. 

I read that Keef makes his own min ce pie on tour. But he might have been drunk and lying. 

Thats Shepherds Pie.  I don't think he makes his own but its made to specific standards of his.  And no one can have none.  Makes his own, do me a favour, can you imagine Keef with a pinny and a fuckin' rolling pin, its Keith Richards we're talkin' about here, not Keith Floyd.

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Thats Shepherds Pie.  I don't think he makes his own but its made to specific standards of his.  And no one can have none.  Makes his own, do me a favour, can you imagine Keef with a pinny and a fuckin' rolling pin, its Keith Richards we're talkin' about here, not Keith Floyd.

Shepard’s pie is lamb mince?

I watched a tv show where he was making it himself. He probably has Ronnie make it, then berates him for not being a real member.

• Haha 1