Wichita Lineman Discussion Thread

They could do that a lot more. Of course it sounded good. You have Axl singing and Slash playing. That's enough to elevate most of the songs on the planet.

Specially when Axl sings with his Axl voice and Slash has an improv solo spot on it. It sounds good even when they are backed by session musicians who could/should be in Vegas. It still sounds good. It will never be "GNR good", but it is good.

They should do a new song like this one every other day. Keep things fresh. Keep playing it until it gets even better than this first try. Dont need to play it at every show. Play it from time to time. No one else needs to die before they add a new song to the set like that.

My last suggestion... Since this is a very short song, they could very well do it "twice", first time slow like this and second time fast -- like they did with You are Crazy. That could be a total disaster but i have a feeling it would sound good, maybe just as good as Joey Ramone version of What a Wonderful world.

1 hour ago, soon said:

I love it and I know it will be in my head for days.  I know I will love it forever.  But I wonder if they told Frank to come in fast on the snare at the end there or if they told Frank to come in fast. Slash uses head movement to indicate a slow down to Frank at end, but that doesnt mean Frank was faster then they'd arranged.  But it also could mean that.

I do love it exactly as preformed.  Magical performance.

Dizzy plays beautifully to, as an aside.

I liked when he did that actually!

10 minutes ago, Tonto said:

I liked when he did that actually!

It does add to the catharsis, imo.  I love this performance as is.  Duff is nodding a tempo going into it that at times seems to agree with frank but as it goes on it doesnt seem to.  Id give Frank a pass and call it genius, but. But.  It is a pattern so I thought I'd flag it.  He's ever so slightly faster then most of them from the start, but not enough to mater in rock - or maybe he's on beat and they are all lagging in a typically rock way.

I should really study the original more too

Fantastic cover. Really dig this song. Glen was a well recognised guitarist among his peers. I could be wrong but think he played 6 string bass on the studio recording of this song. I'd say he was well respected by the GNR guys. hope it stays in the set. We need a high quality audio of this song.

yeah he's got the way he should've sang for a ton more songs that rapid fire closure clean voice works he goes almost frank sinatra/jim morrison but way more crooner himself that nobody could do quite like it

axl should do a crooner album solo with guns n roses 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

I was impressed with this cover of the song and sought out some of the Glen Campbell versions on youtube and came across this stirring rendition recorded by Glen Campbell with Stone Temple Pilots. It's a gorgeous and haunting song featuring Glen on vocals and six string bass.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Gorthar said:

I was impressed with this cover of the song and sought out some of the Glen Campbell versions on youtube and came across this stirring rendition recorded by Glen Campbell with Stone Temple Pilots. It's a gorgeous and haunting song featuring Glen on vocals and six string bass.

Yeah, this is my favorite rendition of the song ever recorded. 

From Jimmy Webb: 

Guns N' Roses paid tribute to Glen Campbell by performing Wichita Lineman at a recent show. At the end, Axl says "For Glen". I am so moved by this. Completely unexpected. Thanks, guys. JLW
Thanks to Hyde Kirby for bringing it to our attention.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I'm pretty sure Axl sang atleast a part of Rhinestone cowboy once with nugnr, so I think this song was an Axl thing that he wanted to do.

Probably what Axl had been talking to Slash about in his dressing room. That's why he came in all nice...like "Hey Slash..Buddy...Pal...confidant...let's do some covers" 

which im sure Slash getting Axl actively thinking about musical arrangements would be thrilling!