Wichita Lineman Discussion Thread

I had to watch it on youtube.com

Brought tears to my eyes. I've always loved this song and I think Axl did a sweet version of it. Slash, Duff and Richard were amazing too. Like a stripped down version and I think Glenn would have approved.

GNR shows how they still have the magic playing together. I hope it never ends.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, slitherz said:

Would I break any forum rules if I said that you're a idiot? And you even find yourself funny... sad

Thanks for pointing that out! You basically destroyed my argumentation and my joke!

Not only that! You expressed your point so well -- yours was such a classy and articulate reply -- that you completely changed my mind on this subject!

Wow!

:rofl-lol:

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 0:11 PM, Ratam said:

The shows now are funerals 😁

Well, too many musicians have been dying lately. Would you rather Axl and GNR just ignore them? I think doing their songs is a good way to honor and remember them.

Even in death, their music will go on forever.

7 hours ago, soon said:

This song is carrying me through some tough times.  GnR always has my back.

Yeah, I have so many songs that have gotten me through bad times. Music helps so much. I can remember all the songs I listened to when I was going through some tough times in my live. So very important to me to this day.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nosaj Thing said:

Slash absolutely killed it!  :heart:

Absolutely.

Class version. Everyone shines on this one. Really suits Axl's voice too.

We need a better recording before they change it out for another song. Or at least ask the crowd to stop talking through it. lol

This site made a review of the new covers:

https://music.mxdwn.com/2017/09/05/news/guns-n-roses-cover-wichita-lineman-by-glen-campbell-and-i-feel-good-by-james-brown-at-recent-concert/

The crazy hairdos that took America by frenzied storm in the eighties with “Appetite For Destruction” embarked on a reunion tour in April of 2016 called, “Not In This Lifetime.” Probably, when someone originally brought up the idea of a reunion tour, either Slash or Axl replied with an unequivocal, ‘not in this lifetime, buddy.’ The name seems ironically appropriate as the tour enters its second year. On Wednesday, the group reached behind their own era, playing songs from the early and late sixties.

Axl Rose has covered Brown’s “I Feel Good” before. His voice is meant for it. But he’s never played it all the way through, and not with the band’s original members. The cover, half faithful to Brown’s sound, half faithful to their own, was a roaring success. Rose’s deliverance had all the energy and panache that Brown would have expected a good cover to have. Slash still plays the same licks he did in ’87, yet somehow they still sound fresh. Due to no change in his defining characteristics—the hair and the hat—Slash actually kind of looks the same as he did in the eighties, from afar.

Rose made an announcement before playing Campbell’s “Wichita Lineman.”

“We’re going to play something we’ve never played before. It might not be your thing, but we’re just trying to pay a tribute to someone. It’s not what you think.”

Everything other than that final, “It’s not what you think,” makes perfect sense. Rose, clearly out of genuine respect to an influence and inspiration, chose to play this song by the late Glen Campbell. Those who have read John Jeremiah Sullivan’s profile of Rose for GQ will immediately recognize the voice he puts on for the cover as ‘Devil Woman.’ One of Rose’s “five or six different voices that are all part of me,” ‘Devil Woman’ is what you hear on the Guns N’ Rose’s most musical tracks. “November Rain,” “Patience,” among them, they are songs where Rose’s musical soul seems to tremble through sharp vibrations in each note—the luscious hybrid of a silvery whistle and a throaty lament. Rose’s sweet and sour voice captured Campbell’s melody beautifully, and even evoked whispers of other Guns N’ Roses songs that are perhaps direct descendants of Campbell’s. Rose ended the song with a simple tribute, “For Glen.”

2 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Well, too many musicians have been dying lately. Would you rather Axl and GNR just ignore them? I think doing their songs is a good way to honor and remember them.

Even in death, their music will go on forever.

Yeah, I have so many songs that have gotten me through bad times. Music helps so much. I can remember all the songs I listened to when I was going through some tough times in my live. So very important to me to this day.

Yeah,i not criticize theys, maybe you not understand my dark sense of hu mour,i see good what theys honor great musics

It is very true that music can help and that is why This I Love is very important to me. It was almost like Axl wrote that song for the situation i was in 15 years ago with a woman i loved that I thought loved me. So it gave me the closure I never had thanks Axl for sharing your pain.

are these guys speeding up even THIS SONG -- like they do with EVERY song of the set?

i didnt count the seconds but this texas version sounds speedy and shitty, very different from the first live version, which sounded great

(even though axl was a bit out of the beat as rolling stone magazine noted)

WTF is wrong with these people

10 hours ago, ludurigan said:

are these guys speeding up even THIS SONG -- like they do with EVERY song of the set?

i didnt count the seconds but this texas version sounds speedy and shitty, very different from the first live version, which sounded great

(even though axl was a bit out of the beat as rolling stone magazine noted)

WTF is wrong with these people

Calm down dude, it's only rock n roll