Can You Really Tell the Difference from Each GN’R Drummer?

On 02/12/2017 at 12:10 AM, ChristmasFnatic said:

With all the drummers GN’R have over the decades, can you really tell the difference especially live? Like if you cant see who the drummer is, can you tell if its Frank or Sorum in most songs?

nah its impossible to tell the difference. they all sound pretty much the same except that steven sounds absolutely terrific and matt sorum sounds a bit mechanical and all the others are unlistenable crap. other than that, they are pretty much identical!

• Like 1

On 12/4/2017 at 4:03 AM, scooby845 said:

Can anyone point out to me the greatness in Brain? Cause I think he sucks so hard, almost as much as Frank, especially on AFD songs...

Don't get me wrong - he is awesome on CD!

He's like the perfect hybrid drummer IMO - not as technical as Matt but not as much groove as Steven, yet still has his own identifiable sound. He's got his own groove, and doesn't sound soulless like Frank's tone/style. These are some good clips of his:

Having seen him and Frank about a month apart on their respective tours this year, Brain is still far and away the better drummer.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

He's like the perfect hybrid drummer IMO - not as technical as Matt but not as much groove as Steven, yet still has his own identifiable sound. He's got his own groove, and doesn't sound soulless like Frank's tone/style. These are some good clips of his:

Thanks, but I still fail to see his expertise - especially on AFD songs. Like I said - he is great on CD, but we're talking about drummers suitable for GNR. I think he is not.

--

On another note - if you want perfect mix of groove and technique - throw a look at Mike Portnoy and Brooks Wackerman. Ain't nobody comes close to those two. NOBODY!

On 12/1/2017 at 9:10 PM, ChristmasFnatic said:

With all the drummers GN’R have over the decades, can you really tell the difference especially live? Like if you cant see who the drummer is, can you tell if its Frank or Sorum in most songs?

Ummm....yes.  Sorry I'm late to this party but the differences are a million percent clear. 

How can you not see the difference between Adler-Sorum-Brain-Frank? Cmon, you gotta be deaf. Adler was the RnR swing, best hi-hat and that natural ability GnR has ever seen. Sorum was way too robotic and predictable, power without the finesse. Brain was power, style and finesse, the ultimate GnR drummer to me. Frank is a great drummer of course, but sort of falls in between of all others, does not have any skill better than the others kinda on the generic side - still rank him over Matt "Casio3000" Sorum.

1. Brain

2. Adler

3. Frank

4. Sorum

I miss matt on the band

I agree on the UYI Tour he don’t played some songs of AFD very well ( easy, brownstone)

But on velvet revolver he learned to play these songs.

Just take a look on Velvet Revolver concert in Germany 2008

He played brownstone and easy PERFECTLY 

Frank is terrible your drum is like shit and he changes “ everything” on the songs. Fuckk

I miss matt playing songs like double talkin jive, you could be mine, dont cry, estranged, november rain and coma (UYI).

Edited by Jim Smith
  • Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:10 PM, ChristmasFnatic said:

This is a good question.  I could not. Period.  I know a lot of people say they can and that the drummer makes a huge difference, but it was never the case for me personally.  I remember back when Sorum joined the band, long before the internet was a thing, I remember people would talk a lot about things like "Oh man wait until they release music with Sorum, Illusions was already written around Adler, but their next album will really utilize Matt! It's going to be amazing!"  I wondered if I would be astounded at whatever came after Illusions with this new drummer, but was pretty dubious.  You would think I would have more respect for drummers, my sister played on a few albums, my best friend growing up was a drummer and I even dated a somewhat well known female drummer back in a different life.  All the pieces are there for me to be a drummer fanboy, but meh.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2017 at 2:37 AM, chevelle said:

Honestly, not really. I can tell Sorum apart from the rest because his sound is so big and reverby, but otherwise I've never noticed much difference. Pretty much anyone with a decent sense of groove can play GNR songs on drums.

Reverb on UYI only. Those albums would've sounded so much better without the reverb drum sound. Don't know what they were thinking!