Can You Really Tell the Difference from Each GN’R Drummer?

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Here is another one,

Finck leaves; Buckethead replaces Finck; Finck returns and they expand into a three-piece (guitar) band; Buckethead leaves, to be replaced by a guy with a similarly silly sounding name, Bumblefoot; Finck leaves to be replaced by Ashba. So why didn't they just revert to an one piece when Bucket left? If the intention 1999, when Robin was first in the band, was to have one lead guitarist, what changed?

What a mess of a band! The only common denominator in Guns N' Roses is a complete absence of any sort of logic. 

As per Axl's interviews around the time of Chinese Democracy, he actually likes the 3 guitar setup and thinks the band sounds better because of it. Rose just loves to add unnecessary crap to everything. Only 50 layers on Prostitute? Let's add more. Only one keyboard player? More. Everything needs to be bigger and more bloated. I don't know how he got through the Appetite years. :shrugs:

Doug Goldstein mentioned in one of his interviews last year how it broke Slash's heart in the mid 90's that Axl was trying to turn Guns into a 3 guitar band - apparently, that was the intention behind the Zakk Wylde sessions. There was some confusion in the band over whether all these big name lead guitarists like Wylde and Navarro were going to be guest stars on the album (as Duff thought) or whether they were auditioning to be in the band and share lead guitar with Slash. 

Imagine being Slash and hearing that your lead singer wants to audition other big guitarists to join your band and diminish your role in the music - AND - potentially being your replacement in case you don't play nice and say yes to everything Axl wants. To add even more insult to injury, the music Axl was trying to create were not guitar driven songs - so your role is even further diminished there. If Slash thought standing around waiting to play on Estranged and November Rain was tough - you can imagine his reaction to Axl's idea to do an album of songs like Oh my God and Prostitute. 

56 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Like he removed Izzy's guitar from TSI (why?) and there is a very good reason imho to suspect that if he had his wish to delay UYI, he would have removed Izzy's songs and possibly Izzy's guitar as well to screw him over. 

According to Slash, Izzy's parts on TSI were "very heartless" and that's why they removed them.

• Like 1

Brain was too fast. The praise he gets for the 2002 work is crazy. Listen to them again, the rest of the band is struggling to keep up with him every song, and if you want to break it down to actually looking at the audio files, you can see he was never on time for any of his beats because he didn't play at a consistent tempo and pace for anything section of a song. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

I'm not a musician or singer. But out of every single person thats ever been in GNR, Axl is the only one that has sounded like complete shit live.

You must not have listened to the Sirus show and whatever the fuck Dizzy was doing all show.

40 minutes ago, Stro said:

You must not have listened to the Sirus show and whatever the fuck Dizzy was doing all show.

The show got high praise so I downloaded PROSTITUTE thinking I wanted to hear the live version. Horrible vocals as usual. I wouldn't mind seeing them live again because the loud music drowns out Axl's mess ups. But this YouTube stuff....forget it. Sirius stuff..... forget about it!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

The show got high praise so I downloaded PROSTITUTE thinking I wanted to hear the live version. Horrible vocals as usual. I wouldn't mind seeing them live again because the loud music drowns out Axl's mess ups. But this YouTube stuff....forget it. Sirius stuff..... forget about it!

I dunno man, you can't really form an opinion of an almost 4 hr show after listening to 1 song. The soundboard we got Wednesday night is the best that band has sounded since 93. Listen to the whole gig. 

Yes, and there are many.

Anyone remembers old cassette tapes? If you have one in your car for the entire summer chances are it will stretch a little in places. So when it's played it sounds distorted every once in a while. Those stretched parts are played for a fraction of a second slower. That's exactly the Adler-effect. Perhaps it is (or it was originally) unintentional but he slows down the rhythm for a beat (in all the right places in a single number), and than gets back - that creates that "stop and go" pulsing effect which was certainly GnR's staple.

When it comes to bridges they are almost always slowed down a bit when Steven plays and you have it right here:

Frank likes to rush through bridges, like a marching band, which is interesting but maybe not the best fit.

Sound-wise Steven was ignoring everything post mid 70s, very acoustic. Obviously Frank is experimenting a bit, but on several 2016/2017 shows his tuning was spot-on.
(Everyone pointing out that it's "out of fashion" or "modern trends", perhaps, but it was much more so in the mid 80s. Back then it was considered "passe" LOL)
Bottom line is - fuck rationalizing what's modern or not and enjoy the KISS:

Edited by Colossus of Rhodes
  • Like 1

When Matt came in for the illusions sessions, Axl told him how to drum the songs. He was constanly in the studio, to let matt play the songs over and over until he liked it. Thats why Matt sounded better with Velvet Revolver, he could drum how he liked it......

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

The soundboard we got Wednesday night is the best that band has sounded since 93. Listen to the whole gig. 

I disagree. That's not even the best they've sounded since 2016.

While I think I was a bit too harsh on my first critique of the show, on second listen it is probably the best Guns N' Roses have sounded in 2017.

Myself personally, I think there were many times during each of the 'Chinese Eras' where the band sounded much better than they do recently.

13 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

I dunno man, you can't really form an opinion of an almost 4 hr show after listening to 1 song. The soundboard we got Wednesday night is the best that band has sounded since 93. Listen to the whole gig. 

I have listened to a bunch of live stuff. If I want quality I listen to the albums.

15 hours ago, Robert39 said:

When Matt came in for the illusions sessions, Axl told him how to drum the songs. He was constanly in the studio, to let matt play the songs over and over until he liked it. Thats why Matt sounded better with Velvet Revolver, he could drum how he liked it......

Fair enough, the way Matt sounds on that album is in large part because Axl wanted him to sound like that.

But how do we explain those drum solos?

18 hours ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

I'm not a musician or singer. But out of every single person thats ever been in GNR, Axl is the only one that has sounded like complete shit live.

This is just an incredible comment. Someone give this man a cigar. :lol:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

My brother is a drummer. He even teaches kids in the Dallas School of Rock and yes he can tell which drummer is which.

He knows Steven's playing and how Matt plays too. Each drummer has their own sound to them and a way of playing the drums. You just have to listen and you can hear the difference.

I honestly think most die hard GNR fans could tell the difference but yeah, a drum instructor would probably be able to tell much faster than the rest of us. 

I only know, heard that is, Steven, Matt and now Frank. :P I adore Steven for what he did on Appetite and Lies. To me he has the ultimate Rock n Roll Swing and Swagger. A somewhat chaotic and loose but yet just in time precision. His sound was and is Guns n Roses for me.

Matt - well. Always hated Matt's drumming especially on more emotional songs like November Rain or Don't Cry. Precise as a drum computer and also very dulled. So swing, no tone, just this pounding. I liked his drumming better on the faster and harder songs.

Frank? Well. No, sorry. I don't like his style. Rocket Queen sounds crappy with his drumming. WTJ and Paradise City too. Argh. They're key songs (to me at least) considering Guns n Roses rhythm and swing and he doesn't get it. That really bugs me. Guns were never really precise live but Steven managed to hit the important key parts of a song and give them their edge and rawness.  He carried the songs and they sailed together through them. The songs were alive and rocking. Matt for sure kept rhythm and timing and held up the core of the songs. Frank to me is more or less soulless as a drummer which is a catastrophe in a musician.

Edited by Tori72
  • GNFNR 1

55 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

I only know, heard that is, Steven, Matt and now Frank. :P I adore Steven for what he did on Appetite and Lies. To me he has the ultimate Rock n Roll Swing and Swagger. A somewhat chaotic and loose but yet just in time precision. His sound was and is Guns n Roses for me.

Matt - well. Always hated Matt's drumming especially on more emotional songs like November Rain or Don't Cry. Precise as a drum computer and also very dulled. So swing, no tone, just this pounding. I liked his drumming better on the faster and harder songs.

Frank? Well. No, sorry. I don't like his style. Rocket Queen sounds crappy with his drumming. WTJ and Paradise City too. Argh. They're key songs (to me at least) considering Guns n Roses rhythm and swing and he doesn't get it. That really bugs me. Guns were never really precise live but Steven managed to hit the important key parts of a song and give them their edge and rawness.  He carried the songs and they sailed together through them. The songs were alive and rocking. Matt for sure kept rhythm and timing and held up the core of the songs. Frank to me is more or less soulless as a drummer which is a catastrophe in a musician.

Here are some videos with Brain as the Drummer

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Gibbo said:

It would be interesting to upload say 10 short audio clips and have a poll on each for what drummer you think it is :D

Pretty easy if you ask me

You can tell from the sound of Axl's voice as well as audio quality though... Wouldn't work but would love to do that with the forum, too. :lol:

10 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

You can tell from the sound of Axl's voice as well as audio quality though... Wouldn't work but would love to do that with the forum, too. :lol:

I would nt have Axl singing on them. Bumblefoot shity tone would give it away I think

24 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Here are some videos with Brain as the Drummer

And you think Axl bad now. Sounds like he's being strangled here :lol: never mind the crap in the background meaning pitman

Edited by Gibbo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1