New Sean Beavan Interview Talking Chinese Democracy, Axl, GNR, NIN & More!

6 hours ago, Gambit83 said:

So scheduled interview with Sean for me on 2/6

Questions?

@Gambit83

How many songs were originally slated for CD in 1999/2000?

How long was the time period in which Axl recorded his vocals? Was it a few days, a few weeks or a few months?

How was the decision made as to which songs would receive vocals first? Was this a team decision or an Axl only decision? 

Were Axl’s vocals completed over many takes or single takes? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gambit83 said:

Questions?

Very nice! Im looking forward to this.

I would like to hear as much as possible about the making of CD. Try to get small details from the guy. Its so interesting to hear.

Some questions for Sean I would ask:

- When you came into the project. Can you tell us about the first day. What impression did you get of the project? What was the first things you heard and what did you think about it?

- Could you tell us about a specifik song that he thought was extra interesting working on? The whole process from start to finish (as finished as it became during his time in the project).

- Where there any "holy-shit-moments" during the process? Any specifik moment when you got goosebumps over something that was created in the studio?

- When you heard the finished version of Chinese Democracy. Was is like you would have expected it to be? Was there songs on CD that you were suprised ended up on the record and were there songs that you missed that you really thought would be on there?

Edited by gokken
  • Like 2

On 1/22/2022 at 3:01 PM, Gambit83 said:

Questions?

Ask him if he has a link to lossless versions of the Village Sessions

Kidding, kidding :lol:  My question would be, what he thinks of the completed released 2008 album compared to what things were sounding like when he was working on the material

• Like 1

Tom Zutaut once publicly expressed doubt that Axl was going to have a strong enough, commercial enough single to carry Chinese to mass success.

Indeed, the album got great reviews, but didn’t have that single song built for the radio and the album did suffer for it.

Did Sean have the same doubt? Did he ever feel Axl had a single that would climb the charts and stay there? If so, what was it and if not, did he ever voice that concern?

• Like 2

Some more questions:

Was there a particular musical direction Axl was going for? Many people think that he was chasing trends. Was that the case?

Was the three-guitar band a thought or an idea at the time he was working with Axl?

Axl continuing under the GnR name Vs. under another name/a solo project: does he think Axl would have been better off without the burden of the name and maybe that the album would have been finished sooner?

Were there lyrics and vocals for the song Oklahoma? (this can be asked even if he doesn't want to talk about the leaks, since the title was already known and Axl himself had mentioned it).

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 4

1. What was the tracklisting for the 2000 album?
  2. Is "Sorry" the only finished song without vocals at that time that was released in 2008? Or it was "Better"(Better did not exist in 1999/2000)
  3. What were the "finished" songs at the time he arrived? "Madagascar"? "Prostitute"? "Oh My God"?
  4. Who wrote "State Of Grace"? He remembers something about it?
  5. "Oklahoma" has vocals? (Sort of)
  6. What he can say about Rough Mixes #5, Rough Mixes #6, etc?... It's "Oh My God", or "This I Love" or another song in those albums?
  7. Those Rough Mixes albums... were the first compilation ever made about the sessions? What means the numbers on that "(21)", "#6" and all those signs?
  8. Axl Rose wrote some melodies apart "This I Love" and the 'piano' melody of "Prostitute"? What about the guitar part of "Madagascar"? What about "The Blues" or "Atlas Shrugged"?
  9. What can you said about the Magnus Opera written by Tommy Stinson a.k.a. "Riad N' The Bedouins"? What can you say about Brian May?
  10. Do you like the Andy Wallace mix? What do you think about it?
  • Haha 1

On 1/25/2022 at 12:21 AM, CubanSkies Dummy said:

1. What was the tracklisting for the 2000 album?
  2. Is "Sorry" the only finished song without vocals at that time that was released in 2008? Or it was "Better"(Better did not exist in 1999/2000)
  3. What were the "finished" songs at the time he arrived? "Madagascar"? "Prostitute"? "Oh My God"?
  4. Who wrote "State Of Grace"? He remembers something about it?
  5. "Oklahoma" has vocals? (Sort of)
  6. What he can say about Rough Mixes #5, Rough Mixes #6, etc?... It's "Oh My God", or "This I Love" or another song in those albums?
  7. Those Rough Mixes albums... were the first compilation ever made about the sessions? What means the numbers on that "(21)", "#6" and all those signs?
  8. Axl Rose wrote some melodies apart "This I Love" and the 'piano' melody of "Prostitute"? What about the guitar part of "Madagascar"? What about "The Blues" or "Atlas Shrugged"?
  9. What can you said about the Magnus Opera written by Tommy Stinson a.k.a. "Riad N' The Bedouins"? What can you say about Brian May?
  10. Do you like the Andy Wallace mix? What do you think about it?

I think these questions might be stretching the limits of poor Beavans memory a bit...

On 1/24/2022 at 4:12 PM, appetite4illusions said:

Tom Zutaut once publicly expressed doubt that Axl was going to have a strong enough, commercial enough single to carry Chinese to mass success.

Indeed, the album got great reviews, but didn’t have that single song built for the radio and the album did suffer for it.

Did Sean have the same doubt? Did he ever feel Axl had a single that would climb the charts and stay there? If so, what was it and if not, did he ever voice that concern?

I think Better & Street of Dreams would have been huge hits 

• Like 1