11/25/18 - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates - Du Arena

alfierose

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Agreed but most other bands aren't charging these prices.. Either way they haven't missed a show in going on 3 years now. Shit happens.. Hope Axl is alright.. 

Never more appropiate to this situation that "shit happens"...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, ironmt said:

I couldn't agree more, but we live in a sick twisted world where It's all about me, me, me. If It doesn't affect me than who gives a fuck. A world where everyone is entitled to whatever they think they should have yet they are thin skinned assholes that are offended by everything, and I mean everything.

Most people could see someone laying along side the road dying in front of them, yet they would keep on going because God forbid they might end up being a few minutes late to eat  or buy a high tech electronic gadget. 

Fuck people and I truly mean that. I despise people and would much rather be around my dog. I live on 16 acres in the middle of the woods  with a driveway 3/4 of a mile long. No one knows I exist and i wouldn't have it any other way.

FUCK PEOPLE. 

I feel like you sometimes my friend, I know it's a very cynical attitude but it's difficult not to feel like that.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, killuridols said:

I can't understand why people here get so riled up for some anonymous Twitter comments.... :question:

Not that they are the official voice of everybody who attended. Although, probably many feel down because attending a show, paying tickets and all that jazz requires some effort.

Ive not seen one second of this show but I wonder if the audience was fully aware of Axl being sick? Does everybody understand English over there?

And I agree with the poster who said this probably could have been handled better, with a shorter setlist comprised of just the hits, no solo BS and an effective encore. Management fail.

Those few tweets of anger really pisses me off but they are a tiny minority. I will not hang on my mood on a few idiots even because what I see is that the massive majority of people are showing concern or expressing props to Axl.

But Management should have taken in consideration that there was a possibility that the man was not going to manage finishing his set. That is the work of management: 'Hope for the best, Prepare for the worst'. Or even, they could have thought that regardless of how much better he was because of the meds, it was better for his wellbeing to do a short setlist anyway. Had they front packed with the hits, no covers, fewer solos and surely that F1 audience would be happy enough and, probably, not even notice. Having said that, big props to Axl for doing the show and I can imagine the what he had to pull up to go on stage.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, vloors said:

Kudos to Axl for even making it on stage - as soon as he came out he looked terrible, looked ill as fuck on the big screen.

I thought the show was great - but it was massively bizarre for the casual fan. Huge Slash jam, extended DTJ, Wish You Were Here, Johnny B Goode, Godfather,  extended Rocket Queen, Duff’s solo spot - this was essentially the show. No LALD, Nightrain, KOHD, PC etc.

Most people were fucked right off leaving the arena considering how much the tickets cost.

BTW - they sounded great. Most casual observers left thinking Slash was an absolute beast on the guitar. But very strange concert

8 hours ago, HOOSIER GUNZ said:

Sounds like food poisoning to me. Dehydration.  Axl is one a tuff mother fucker. He still went out there for over 120 minutes.  thank you axl.

He was on stage for very little of that. Slash and Duff earned them their Abu Dhabi dolla 

Edited by LA_0013
  • Thanks 2

Wow. Just wow.

Poor Axl. Although if I were Axl I would have cancel the show instead, it is more professional that way. Good fans would have understand. Those fucking cunts can watch another concerts instead.

Anyway, I googled the f1 concerts and found out in previous day during The Weeknd concert there was an incident. Hundreds of thousands of audiences stormed the gates so the securities had to closed them and they got angry, there was a bit of crowd pushing, no one got seriously hurt though but some people got arrested.

25 minutes ago, GingerHair said:

Those few tweets of anger really pisses me off but they are a tiny minority. I will not hang on my mood on a few idiots even because what I see is that the massive majority of people are showing concern or expressing props to Axl.

But Management should have taken in consideration that there was a possibility that the man was not going to manage finishing his set. That is the work of management: 'Hope for the best, Prepare for the worst'. Or even, they could have thought that regardless of how much better he was because of the meds, it was better for his wellbeing to do a short setlist anyway. Had they front packed with the hits, no covers, fewer solos and surely that F1 audience would be happy enough and, probably, not even notice. Having said that, big props to Axl for doing the show and I can imagine the what he had to pull up to go on stage.

GNR Manager (Fernando) was very busy posing for pictures in Formula 1 race, he was not worried...

Edited by Georgina Arriaga
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

GNR Manager (Fernando) was very busy posing for pictures in Formula 1 race, he was not worried...

So while axl is onstage sick and trying to push through, nando is trying to get photos?. Good to see gnr management was looking after the band and keeping an eye on the situation :max:

• Sad 2

A number of complaints are about not getting Paradise City, Nightrain and Patience and a set filled with solos and ill-fitting covers, including this review.

https://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/music/review-guns-n-roses-start-well-then-well-1.795947

So it’s a shame they didn’t make the most of the unfortunate situation and decide on a more focused two hour show with all the usual filler removed beforehand.

It’s just unfortunate that you turn up to a truncated NITL show and still have to put up with Wichita Lineman when Axl could have easily done Patience in its place.

47 minutes ago, Stress Fracture said:

So it’s a shame they didn’t make the most of the unfortunate situation and decide on a more focused two hour show with all the usual filler removed beforehand.

In my opinion the fillers were made to help him, of course they could have made a lot of things different....but I doubt that Axl could go 2 hours not stop in those health conditions

• Like 2

Health issues aside - Axl sounded great. Slash stole the show, as per - but Axl gave it his all and did pretty well considering.

Havent listened to any of the YouTube uploads - as has been said many times before - huge difference in listening to the recordings and what you actually hear at the show in a live setting. 

This does goes to show that they have very sort of industrial production line type of approach to these shows. They go to work on time, churn out as many products (songs and jams) from the line as possible, mostly without deviation and get out. They have a schedule that contains that stuff in that order, if show has to be cut short, they don't produce other stuff, they go with the program until the line is shut down for the day.

Not In This Lifetime Tour has become a safe heaven for Guns N' Roses - no serious delays, incidents or fails were observed during the whole tour. However, a recent concert in Abu Dhabi slightly reminded about infamous times of the band's inconsistance. Guns N' Roses was headliners at the concert associated with F1 Championship in Abu Dhabi on November 25th, but the gig didn't go as planned - due to Axl's sickness half of songs were dropped and the set ended with November Rain. Total of 17 songs were played and it has become the first major concert-related issue for almost 3 years. 

Mostly, everybody and especially the fans, were supportive for Axl and the band, however, some individuals expressed critical dissatisfaction of the gig and how the band handled the situation. As for me, I have full respect for Axl, shit happens and nobody's perfect. Hope he'll be okay and put all the critics to their knees on the next gigs. Though, must say, probably the band and stuff could manage the situation better - to short the set in favour of hits and to jam after the most of the songs. Suppose, if they ended with Paradise City, prevailing "not target audience" wouldn't have noticed a thing. Maybe, it was initially planned, but Axl just couldn't take it anymore and they left earlier. So, not a big deal, all we're humans, nobody was hurt (except for Axl), life's go on. 

However, if to look from a more proffesional point of view, the thing is not so clear as there can be two sides of the story. If the band and management were fully aware of Axl's conditions (seems they were, as he did IV) and gave some options like changing the set or even cancelling the show, but Axl said, that he would do it anyway, then Axl is a real hero as he tried to satisfy the fans against all odds. But, we can't exclude the option, where Axl, as usual, was having fun all night, drinking etc., caught some shit and the band's management said "whatever, we are busy watching F1" and even knowing about Axl's condition, nobody was really concerned and the band was changing the set already during the show.... well, then it may rise some concerns about handling the situation. Yet again, if Axl didn't do anything excessive (got high, seriously drunk or something), therere no blame for him. 

So, what do you think about the situation? Was it anybody's fault? Will be there serious consequences? 

Edited by nikothebellic

Lauryn Hill did a show here last week. She turned up hours late and ended the set after 45 minutes. After half of the people had left, complaining about the lateness and short show, Lauryn decided to get back on stage and finish the set. For half the crowd. A few days later she posted this on Twitter.

DsfHyRgU4AAgD-1.jpg:large

Now compare this to what happened yesterday.

I don't understand all the drama to be honest. And I don't get all the criticism the band is getting.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, nikothebellic said:

Not In This Lifetime Tour has become a safe heaven for Guns N' Roses - no serious delays, incidents or fails were observed during the whole tour. However, a recent concert in Abu Dhabi slightly reminded about infamous times of the band's inconsistance. Guns N' Roses was headliners at the concert associated with F1 Championship in Abu Dhabi on November 25th, but the gig didn't go as planned - due to Axl's sickness half of songs were dropped and the set ended with November Rain. Total of 17 songs were played and it has become the first major concert-related issue for almost 3 years. 

Mostly, everybody and especially the fans, were supportive for Axl and the band, however, some individuals expressed critical dissatisfaction of the gig and how the band handled the situation. As for me, I have full respect for Axl, shit happens and nobody's perfect. Hope he'll be okay and put all the critics to their knees on the next gigs. Though, must say, probably the band and stuff could manage the situation better - to short the set in favour of hits and to jam after the most of the songs. Suppose, if they ended with Paradise City, prevailing "not target audience" wouldn't have noticed a thing. Maybe, it was initially planned, but Axl just couldn't take it anymore and they left earlier. So, not a big deal, all we're humans, nobody was hurt (except for Axl), life's go on. 

However, if to look from a more proffesional point of view, the thing is not so clear as there can be two sides of the story. If the band and management were fully aware of Axl's conditions (seems they were, as he did IV) and gave some options like changing the set or even cancelling the show, but Axl said, that he would do it anyway, then Axl is a real hero as he tried to satisfy the fans against all odds. But, we can't exclude the option, where Axl, as usual, was having fun all night, drinking etc., caught some shit and the band's management said "whatever, we are busy watching F1" and even knowing about Axl's condition, nobody was really concerned and the band was changing the set already during the show.... well, then it may rise some concerns about handling the situation. Yet again, if Axl didn't do anything excessive (got high, seriously drunk or something), therere no blame for him. 

So, what do you think about the situation? Was it anybody's fault? Will be there serious consequences? 

I think axl did the show because if they cancelled the media would use it as an excuse to post old shit and cancellations from the illusions days. So was axls way to circumvent that. Wonder if rescheduling could have been an option?.. hats off to axl though for trying to get through, all things considered. All the people complaining are probably those streaming from home.

Edited by Sydney Fan