What is your least favorite 2018 buzzword/phrase?

DeadSlash

The words you have just plain had enough of already.  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What is your least favorite buzz word/phrase of 2018?

• Fake news
    • Nazi
    • Snowflake
    • Fascist
    • Speak truth to power
    • Dog whistle
    • #metoo
    • Triggered
    • Libertard
    • Trumptard
    • Russian collusion
    • Russia hoax
    • Dreamers
    • Social Media Influencer
    • Sources "with knowledge of the situation"
    • Toxic Masculinity
    • Dick Pic
    • Safe Space
    • Woke

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/01/2019 at 04:59 AM

3 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Okay, can you explain what "snowflake" means? I've never heard anyone use this word before?

I've never used it either.

It basically means soft sensitive into their feelings kind of person.  But one whoose like REALLY far gone with it, like a hold hands support group touchy feeley super liberal weenie.  That's what I took it to mean anyway.  Imagine like the opposite of John Wayne :lol: 

Edited by Len Cnut

3 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Okay, can you explain what "snowflake" means? I've never heard anyone use this word before?

I've never used it either.

The original meaning was to describe someone who thought they were special - being that every snowflake is different.

Now its used to describe anyone who is upset about something.

• Like 2

Quite frankly in 2018 I wish fuckin' society in general would go away.  But since that is sort of an impossibility the best option I can fuckin' see is just ignore it.  Fuck Trump, fuck Brexit, fuck the fuckin' Middle East, fuck shit music and fuckin' instagram, fuck new rap, fuck bullshit remake films, fuck the lot of it, just fuckin' do your little bits and pieces and pretend the world ain't happenin' cuz its all a load of shite and not worth the fuckin' bother.  Doing your head in arguing with stupid people about obvious shit, fuck that for a lark.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Quite frankly in 2018 I wish fuckin' society in general would go away.  But since that is sort of an impossibility the best option I can fuckin' see is just ignore it.  Fuck Trump, fuck Brexit, fuck the fuckin' Middle East, fuck shit music and fuckin' instagram, fuck new rap, fuck bullshit remake films, fuck the lot of it, just fuckin' do your little bits and pieces and pretend the world ain't happenin' cuz its all a load of shite and not worth the fuckin' bother.  Doing your head in arguing with stupid people about obvious shit, fuck that for a lark.

Renton’s opening lines in Trainspotting 3 from his Miami Retirement Community condo. 

6 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Well I can only point out instances of famous people, its not like I can go 'Ronald Carver of 2205 Broad Street Ann Arbor' etc etc and give you like a phone directory worth of people who do it but shook is a very common term and has been for a couple of decades.  

And Fascist, is fascist a new thing being used in the context that it is?  

Yes, the new context, a lot of the words on this list aren't new words per say, the context they are being used in, or their "repurposing" is new/in fashion in 2018 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

It basically means soft sensitive into their feelings kind of person.  But one whoose like REALLY far gone with it, like a hold hands support group touchy feeley super liberal weenie.  That's what I took it to mean anyway.  Imagine like the opposite of John Wayne :lol: 

K thanks. I thought it sounded like that.

It seems like there's a weird word for everything these days.

I would rather have people be more like "snowflakes" than mean bastards like some of them can be.

Edited by dontdamnmeuyi2015
More to say
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I only ever hear ''snowflake'' in the media. We don't use it here, not because we don't agree with its sentiments but because we have our own ancient lingo for such people, namely ''woofter'' and ''a fanny''. 

snowflake is super popular on game forums, like Steam.  Used by both people on the left and people on the right.  One thing, it seems, that we can all agree on, is that it's a "sick burn."

I've seen some people wear those lame, snarky t-shirts down here. You know; the ones that say dumb, shit like, 'I am not arguing with you. I'm explaining why I'm right.' Terrible. You couldn't pay me to wear that stuff.

Anyway some people have added 'Snowflake' as a way to refer to the person reading the shirt on the shirt. 

Those said people typically look like the dumbest people around. Low IQ. Always there to argue. Snowflake is just an insufferable word to describe someone really. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, arnold layne said:

I've seen some people wear those lame, snarky t-shirts down here. You know; the ones that say dumb, shit like, 'I am not arguing with you. I'm explaining why I'm right.' Terrible. You couldn't pay me to wear that stuff.

Perhaps I'm fuckin' gettin' old or something but the older I get the more suspicious I get of clothing with shit written on it.

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Perhaps I'm fuckin' gettin' old or something but the older I get the more suspicious I get of clothing with shit written on it.

What do you mean?

But generally I agree with you Len. I don't wear any band tees anymore, or generally any tees with product images or pop culture references. Every once in a while I'll wear a tee with a logo of a sports team, but no jerseys or anything like that. If I see a grown man wearing a jersey with another man's name, I kind of think that's lame and tacky. 

Maybe I'm being a judgmental asshole, but at some point you need to be your own person I guess.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, arnold layne said:

What do you mean?

But generally I agree with you Len. I don't wear any band tees anymore, or generally any tees with product images or pop culture references. Every once in a while I'll wear a tee with a logo of a sports team, but no jerseys or anything like that. If I see a grown man wearing a jersey with another man's name, I kind of think that's lame and tacky. 

Maybe I'm being a judgmental asshole, but at some point you need to be your own person I guess.

I mean basically all of what you've written.  There's something about the idea of walking down the street and wanting people to look at you that seems a bit...I dunno, pointless, silly.

11 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I used to wear a lot of culture jamming shirts. But then I started looking at labels and realized they are made by the very system they claim to erode. A commodification of dissent. I always sew a black patch over logos on hat's.

wWVvxuil.jpg

L3X24NOl.png

3 minutes ago, soon said:

I used to wear a lot of culture jamming shirts. But then I started looking at labels and realized they are made by the very system they claim to erode. A commodification of dissent. I always sew a black patch over logos on hat's.

wWVvxuil.jpg

L3X24NOl.png

I dont really care to make a statement about what i think or feel or like on a t shirt.  I mean I’m not crazy about it, I’ve worn band t shirt most of my life, I’m sure I’ve got a couple of Stones one (though that logo looks fuckin’ great) its just something I’ve come to feel as time has gone by.  

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I dont really care to make a statement about what i think or feel or like on a t shirt.  I mean I’m not crazy about it, I’ve worn band t shirt most of my life, I’m sure I’ve got a couple of Stones one (though that logo looks fuckin’ great) its just something I’ve come to feel as time has gone by.  

Im with ya. I wouldn't feel comfortable in those anymore. Thats why I always patch over stuff on hats. At the time, I was young, it was one way I could participate in a movement that was not overly accessible to a kid. And also Gen Xers were into Culture Jamming so they'd always compliment me and chat with me. Which I thought was pretty cool at the time, lol, to get to chat with the adults about 'cultural production in an imperialist economy.' But like I say, the irony/contradiction hadn't become clear to me yet. Today I am fairly basic in my attire.

Actually this is a timely discussion. My friend brought this back from the Montreal Book Fair since I couldnt attend. I dont wanna wear it and am trying to figure out what to do to honour the thoughtful gesture. Im thinking of cutting off the image and sewing it onto a book bag or a back pack maybe? Or maybe have my lady frame it? But yeah, Im not comfortable as a billboard.

ujnJ6N7h.jpg

I've had some cracking T's in my time though.  A few Viv Westwood, a nazi one, one of mickey and minnie shagging under the words 'Fuck Forever', Dread at the Controls one that Joe Strummer wore, Brigade Rosse one (I had no idea until later that the Red Army Faction were a terrorist organisation :lol: ).  I even went through a weird phase of wearing like ones with actual corporate logos like Marlboro and Coca Cola and Red Stripe beer, don't ask me why.

I can actually remember my first two ever band t shirts, first 3 in fact, the first two was one of bands I didn't even like, one Iron Maiden (mate bought it back from holiday in Spain, it had a big ugly monsters face and the word 'purgatory' on it) and one of The Police (though the latter I got out of a jumble sale and only wore it cuz it kinda looked good knackered).  

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

I've had some cracking T's in my time though.  A few Viv Westwood, a nazi one, one of mickey and minnie shagging under the words 'Fuck Forever', Dread at the Controls one that Joe Strummer wore, Brigade Rosse one (I had no idea until later that the Red Army Faction were a terrorist organisation :lol: ).  I even went through a weird phase of wearing like ones with actual corporate logos like Marlboro and Coca Cola and Red Stripe beer, don't ask me why.

I can actually remember my first two ever band t shirts, first 3 in fact, the first two was one of bands I didn't even like, one Iron Maiden (mate bought it back from holiday in Spain, it had a big ugly monsters face and the word 'purgatory' on it) and one of The Police (though the latter I got out of a jumble sale and only wore it cuz it kinda looked good knackered).  

You wore a Nazi t-shirt...? I mean, I know you like to be a bit incendiary, but where do you even buy a nazi T-shirt...?

12 minutes ago, Graeme said:

You wore a Nazi t-shirt...? I mean, I know you like to be a bit incendiary, but where do you even buy a nazi T-shirt...?

Ebay funnily enough.  Its the weirdest fuckin' thing but it was 30 notes so i snapped it up, I've not seen one since.  To be honest I never wore it, couple of times at the most, I mean there's offensive and there's get your head kicked in offensive or get laughed at for being a brown skinned boy wearing a nazi shirt.  It was bang on like Sid Viciouses one 2d24cc845108c6aab8fe7f7875d6c6db.339x500

You wouldn't think they'd be allowed to sell it on ebay but there it was.  Mind you they sell the Destroy T shirt and that has a swastika on it.

Edited by Len Cnut