European Parliment Election Results 2019

AtariLegend

5 minutes ago, Padme said:

Nope,

Labour still ''accepts the referendum result''. 

The manifesto on their official website,

https://labour.org.uk/manifesto/negotiating-brexit/#first

If you read it further they advocate a soft-Brexit involving membership of the EUCU/EEA (''retaining the benefits of the Single Market and the Customs Union''), which is usually labelled ''Norway Plus'' as it is even more integrated than Norway (which just involves the EEA). How Corbyn wishes to convince the EU to renogotiate, throwing the current withdrawal agreement into the bin, is not entirely apparent! 

That is the official position of the Labour Party, unless/until they change it.

So if you voted Labour you were voting for a party espousing Brexit.

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Have you followed the history behind that, how long it took for Corbyn to put his name to the second referendum idea?

- In fact read that very article.

Yes, because he wanted soft Brexit. I said that before. Still during the referendum campaign Labour's position was Remain

1 minute ago, Padme said:

Yes, because he wanted soft Brexit. I said that before. Still during the referendum campaign Labour's position was Remain

Corbyn has always been a leave voter. Even during the referendum campaign he was lying through his teeth. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Nope,

Labour still ''accepts the referendum result''. 

The manifesto on their official website,

https://labour.org.uk/manifesto/negotiating-brexit/#first

If you read it further they advocate a soft-Brexit involving membership of the EUCU/EEA (''retaining the benefits of the Single Market and the Customs Union''), which is usually labelled ''Norway Plus'' as it is even more integrated than Norway (which just involves the EEA). How Corbyn wishes to convince the EU to renogotiate, throwing the current withdrawal agreement into the bin, is not entirely apparent! 

That is the official position of the Labour Party, unless/until they change it.

So if you voted Labour you were voting for a party espousing Brexit.

Right now they are more concerned about the votes they lost to Lib. Dem and Green. That's a priority over any kind of Brexit

Just now, Dazey said:

Corbyn has always been a leave voter. Even during the referendum campaign he was lying through his teeth. 

What matters is the position the Labour Party had during the campaign not Corbyn's teeth.

• Like 1

Just now, Padme said:

Soft Brexit is still Brexit haha. The position adopted by the Liberal Democrats, Change, Greens and Celts - by contrast - is simple plain ''remain''.

I mean there was even a campaign called Labour Leave, involving Eurosceptic Labour MPs haha,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour_Leave

It was quite well publicised at the time.

As I said, my Labour MP is a hard-core old Bennite. Corbyn himself voted against EU integration in every single vote, from our admission in 1973, to Maastricht 1992 and Lisbon 2009. 

Just now, Padme said:

But is that what you want? Is that what people living in your area want?

Considering Blyth Valley (Northumberland) voted in the 2016 referendum 60.49% Leave (the national vote for Leave was 51.89%) I'd say so. And considering Northumberland voted 42.7% for Brexit/UKIP last night (their national vote was 34.9%) I'd still say so. 

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Considering Blyth Valley (Northumberland) voted in the 2016 referendum 60.49% Leave (the national vote for Leave was 51.89%) I'd say so. And considering Northumberland voted 42.7% for Brexit/UKIP last night (their national vote was 34.9%) I'd still say so. 

If Brexit Party/UKIP took 42.7% yesterday. Just out of curiosity, how many votes Tories and Labour took?

54 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I’d prefer not learn the hard way. My company has already made two full departments on our site redundant and moved all jobs to Rotterdam. I’d rather not be next. :( 

Yeah, that was me giving in to my cynicism because I'm tired of people who couldn't care less about the consequences bitch and complain.  

There's a lot of people who will be severely affected should a hard leave happen.  

Mind you, you seem like a bright guy and I'm sure @Len Cnut could find something for you in his organization :P 

19 minutes ago, Padme said:

If Brexit Party/UKIP took 42.7% yesterday. Just out of curiosity, how many votes Tories and Labour took?

Northumberland    

The Brexit Party 38.1

Lib Dems 22.3   Labour 14.3   Greens 7.5   Tories 9.1   UKIP 4.6  

Northumberland is used administratively as part of the wider ''Euro'' constituency of North East England which produced 2 Brexit Party (38.7%) and 1 Labour MEPs.

(Northumberland is the lowest level of statistics I can discover. I cannot seem to find information for UK constituencies. We vote in 12 big mega ''Euro'' constituencies in European elections you see, and the information for UK constituencies would only be produced for curiosity's sake. Still, it might become available at a future date.) 

PS

If anyone wants to analyse this election data, as broken down,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_of_the_2019_European_Parliament_election_in_the_United_Kingdom

Edited by DieselDaisy

10 minutes ago, downzy said:

There's a lot of people who will be severely affected should a hard leave happen.  

A lot of people were severely affected before Brexit referendum. They had nothing to lose. And they don't care about others being affected now or in the future. Populist BS won't fix anything. But there are people who think everything will be great with Brexit 

19 minutes ago, downzy said:

Yeah, that was me giving in to my cynicism because I'm tired of people who couldn't care less about the consequences bitch and complain.  

Mind you, you seem like a bright guy and I'm sure @Len Cnut could find something for you in his organization :P 

3 minutes ago, Padme said:

A lot of people were severely affected before Brexit referendum. They had nothing to lose. And they don't care about others being affected now or in the future. Populist BS won't fix anything. But there are people who think everything will be great with Brexit 

It is the fears of ''the haves'' worried that they will have no longer in post-Brexit Britannia. The ''have nots'' of course do not factor as they have never factored in this EU project, ran by dodgy bankers and decrepit bureaucrats. 

4 minutes ago, Padme said:

First, I disagree with the notion that they had nothing to lose.  Anyone who has a roof over their head and three square meals a day have something to lose.  It's the same dynamic in the U.S. with Trump.  People argued that these people have nothing to lose and hence voted for Trump.  Tell that to the farmers who voted for Trump and now can't sell their produce to China.  In any developed nation almost every citizen can afford to lose more.  What's at issue is their sense of entitlement and misplaced grievances.  

Which is why leaving is the only way for them to learn.  But as @Dazey pointed out, the cost isn't worth the life lessons that will likely not even learned anyway.   

38 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Your posts are the only ones i understand in this thread 😂

I never know what the fuck they’re on about in political threads, I just chime in every time I see an opening to slip in my Beano sense of humour :lol:

30 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Elvis?

Apparently we’ve both thought about it :lol: 

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Northumberland    

The Brexit Party 38.1

Lib Dems 22.3   Labour 14.3   Greens 7.5   Tories 9.1   UKIP 4.6  

Northumberland is used administratively as part of the wider ''Euro'' constituency of North East England which produced 2 Brexit Party (38.7%) and 1 Labour MEPs.

(Northumberland is the lowest level of statistics I can discover. I cannot seem to find information for UK constituencies. We vote in 12 big mega ''Euro'' constituencies in European elections you see, and the information for UK constituencies would only be produced for curiosity's sake. Still, it might become available at a future date.) 

PS

If anyone wants to analyse this election data, as broken down,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_of_the_2019_European_Parliament_election_in_the_United_Kingdom

Thanks. I'm surprise Lib.Dem came in second. And Greens did better than UKIP. I mean I wasn't expecting Greens would matter in North East England. I can't figure out what the Tories 9% means. I don't think people like Boris or Gove are happy about it.

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Fixed to what she was actually thinking :lol: 

No, I just meant they are usually conservatives or old school Labour. And they couldn't care less about a buch of guys talking about how good for health eating vegetable is and animal's rights.

2 minutes ago, Padme said:

Thanks. I'm surprise Lib.Dem came in second. And Greens did better than UKIP. I mean I wasn't expecting Greens would matter in North East England. I can't figure out what the Tories 9% means. I don't think people like Boris or Gove are happy about it.

The Tories are universally loathed here: these are Labour heartlands, former coal-mining areas. 

UKIP's vote has collapsed. The end of UKIP is multifaceted. Post-Farage, they became a chaotic party with much in-fighting and leadership changes and they also adopted an overt racist programme in alliance with figures like Tommy Robinson and the EDL. Another reason for their demise is simply that Nige has swallowed them up with his Brexit Party. 

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The Tories are universally loathed here: these are Labour heartlands, former coal-mining areas. 

UKIP's vote has collapsed. The end of UKIP is multifaceted. Post-Farage, they became a chaotic party with much in-fighting and leadership changes and they also adopted an overt racist programme in alliance with figures like Tommy Robinson and the EDL. Another reason for their demise is simply that Nige has swallowed them up with his Brexit Party. 

No such thing as Labour heartlands anymore though. All that shite about former coal mining areas means nothing. Most of the miners are dead now so they cant vote, and what's left is places which have been declining for at least 2 decades and were massively helped by EU funded schemes like Families First and Flying Start. 

19 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

No such thing as Labour heartlands anymore though. All that shite about former coal mining areas means nothing. Most of the miners are dead now so they cant vote, and what's left is places 

Then you have never met my constituency which has been Labour forever basically. Sir, I give you Blyth Valley (Ronnie Campbell MP since 1987),

General Elections, percentage (%) of Labour vote,

1987: 42.5

1992: 49.9

1997: 64.2

2001: 59

2005: 55

2010: 44.5

2015: 46.3

2017: 55.9

Before 1970 Labour used to poll 75% here: in the 1966 election Labour polled 78%!!

19 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

and were massively helped by EU funded schemes like Families First and Flying Start. 

Never had any of that shite up here. Very few go to university from where I live also. There is simply no reason why anyone would support the EU here, except fast-tracking the airport queues at Benidorm maybe haha. 

Edited by DieselDaisy