The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

Tried with VPN set to some other countries (still not signed-in):

- USA: Nothing comes up.

- Canada: Only S.O.G comes up.

- Brazil: Lots of GN'R with Atlas and S.O.G., no General, Slash (Edit: and Chinese Democracy) comes up for Wichita .

- France: Nothing, except a GN'R podcast episode for Wichita (the episode is titled Wichita Lineman).

Edited by Blackstar

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

- Brazil: Lots of GN'R with Atlas and S.O.G., no General, Slash comes up for Wichita.

This line sounds like one of the stronger cases for all this being the result of an algorithm.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

- USA: Nothing comes up.

- Canada: Only S.O.G comes up.

- Brazil: Lots of GN'R with Atlas and S.O.G., no General, Slash comes up for Wichita.

- France: Nothing, except a GN'R podcast episode for Wichita (the episode is titled Wichita Lineman).

I'm in Canada presently and I'm getting Atlas as well as SOG and I wanna be your dog, though Duff has a live version on there already and there's about 20 versions of Wichita from different artists on there already 😂

Edited by kanecrescente
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

This line sounds like one of the stronger cases for all this being the result of an algorithm.

Yeah, probably. Still strange behaviour, though.

2 minutes ago, kanecrescente said:

I'm in Canada presently and I'm getting Atlas as well as SOG and I wanna be your dog, though Duff has a live version on there already

I didn't get I Wanna Be Your Dog anywhere. Wichita only in Brazil.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

For me (note: I rarely use Spotify, so it's not "trained"):

- Signed in from Greece: Nothing comes up., the results are just based on the search words (e.g. artists called "State of Grace")

- Signed in with VPN set to the UK: Also nothing.

- Unsigned from Greece: Also nothing.

- Unsigned with VPN set to the UK:

spotif10.jpg

spotif11.jpg

spotif12.jpg

For me, it's the opposite, This is a pretty solid example supporting the theory that this DOESN'T have anything to do with user recommended searches. 

1- Doesn't appear by default regardless country.

2- You say that you rarely use Spotify, yet you've got the results with the right VPN 

But I'm not saying anything will happen soon anyways :D

Edited by metalavenger99

5 minutes ago, metalavenger99 said:

For me, it's the opposite, This is a pretty solid example supporting the theory that this DOESN'T have anything to do with user recommended searches. 

1- Doesn't appear by default regardless country.

2- You say that you rarely use Spotify, yet you've got the results with the right VPN 

But I'm not saying anything will happen soon anyways 

When I'm signed in (I use facebook to sign in) I get nothing regardless of country/VPN, I guess because I rarely use Spotify in general (hence also to listen to/search for GN'R).

When I'm logged out, I get results depending on the country.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

When I'm logged out, I get results depending on the country.

What???? that's even more solid proof, how could Spotify recognize someone is a hardcore GNR fan like some people say, if one hasn't  even logged in? first time hearing that. 

This is really confusing, right after the General showed up my hopes died immediately but now there's too many unique examples or points of view that ensure something might be happening.

Edited by metalavenger99

3 minutes ago, metalavenger99 said:

What???? that's even more solid proof, how could Spotify recognize someone is a hardcore GNR fan like some people say, if one hasn't  even logged in? first time hearing that. 

This is really confusing, right after the General showed up my hopes died immediately but now there's too many unique examples or points of view that ensures something might be happening.

Yes, it's very confusing. I don't know what to think.

(It's evident I'm not logged in in the screenshots I posted with VPN set to the UK).

6 minutes ago, metalavenger99 said:

This is really confusing, right after the General showed up my hopes died immediately but now there's too many unique examples or points of view that ensures something might be happening.

Unless it is picking up on search terms made by logged in GNR fans in specific regions, and then showing GNR as a related artist when others in the region (regardless of their listening habits or log in status) type the song in.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide

1 minute ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Unless it is picking up on search terms made by logged in GNR fans in specific regions, and then showing GNR as a related artist when others in the region (regardless of their listening habits or log in status) type the song in.

But as someone said before, if a bunch of GNR fans, let's say a couple hundred or more is enough to cause that in the algorithm, imagine what would happen when a real viral or extremely popular or modern act like a kpop group or something like that were about to drop something? Anyone in the world would type a dot and it would throw you shit related to that. But who knows. 

1 hour ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

An interesting thought. But why Wichita Lineman and nothing else here in Austria?

Personally I never looked for WL before yesterday and it's hard to imagine, that a sufficient number of Austrian Gn'R fans did so.

In terms of Witchita I am not surprised that GNR pops up. Remember, GNR performed this song on a regular basis worldwide in front of millions of people for years. I guess this is why lots of people looked up for this this song on Spotify and the algorithm noticed it over time. 

I know that the above does not explain why the Witchita/GNR thing doesn’t work in all countries but still. 

31 minutes ago, zigzagbigbag said:

In terms of Witchita I am not surprised that GNR pops up. Remember, GNR performed this song on a regular basis worldwide in front of millions of people for years. I guess this is why lots of people looked up for this this song on Spotify and the algorithm noticed it over time. 

I know that the above does not explain why the Witchita/GNR thing doesn’t work in all countries but still. 

Why does it not show up in the US searches though? They've primarily toured here in recent years.

So I was listening to the demos yesterday after some long time... and gotta say, SoG and Atlas are fucking great actually. I can totally see one of these tunes as a single (even though I'd still prefer a new, fresh song).

Anyway, I'm just a bit concerned as to what this today's Skynet is doing to us. Like e.g. I've put "Eye on You" into the engine (without even being registered), and it came back with - and I quote - this: "Artist: Guns N' Roses. Album: Maybe Stay of Execution or Cockroach Soup or something, but we're not sure yet; working very hard on it, though. Release date: Soon, I mean the plans changed, and with what's happening in the world right now, it may take some time, but hey, it's coming and btw yes, Eye on You is the new single; we're figuring it out right now, sitting down and wanting to do it, cause all things were considered and all cautions made."

Yeah I don't trust this skynet thing if you ask me.

Edited by jamillos