The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

35 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I am leaning towards this just being an algorithm thing.

When many people search for "atlas shrugged" from their Spotify account where they regularly listen to GN'R, Spotify makes a connection between "atlas shrugged" and "Guns N' Roses". Not in the sense that it thinks that the song is from that band, but just that people who are interested in the search term, and coming from that specific country, tend to like GN'R. So when another person searches for "atlas shrugged", even from an account that hasn't been used to listen to GN'R, Spotify will suggest GN'R as an artist that the person might like, solely based on the previous connection, because it knows that people who are interested in that song tend to like that band.

And as more and more people now in the last week or so have been searching for Atlas Shrugged, The General, Soul Monster and State of Grace, stronger and stronger connections have been made between these songs and GN'R and more and more countries will result in Spotify suggesting GN'R as an artist it thinks the searcher may like.

The big argument against this theory is the fact that "Perhaps" does not give "Guns N' Roses" as a suggested artist, which we would expect because many people like the song and it has been widely considered to be an expected single so hence many people must have searched for it. But I believe this can be due to either that search term being too short for the algorithm or there being many other songs featuring that word and hence many people searching "Perhaps" without having listened to GN'R, thus there will not be made a connection between "Perhaps" and "Guns N' Roses" as likely as between "Soul Monster" and "Guns N' Roses" or "Atlas Shrugged" and "Guns N' Roses". 

And there's a self-reinforcing power in this: The more people search, the stronger the connections get and GN'R pops up here and there more frequently.

If we are causing the connections to happen, and no songs have been submitted, then that is hilarious and will definitely deserve a chapter in my history section when I get to 2022 :D

Maybe, but it's still strange how the first guy did this all by himself for Atlas or SOG in the UK. The amount of times that person had to look up for those names must've been insanely high and/or consistent.

Unless it wasn't just one person and this was actually a thing a lot of people were doing everyday, then I was unaware of that all of this time :lol:

I want to believe the algorithm theory as well, because then I won’t get disappointed, but it does not explain how State of Grace was the first song that GNR showed up for and it just randomly appeared 3 years after the village leaks. A neither does it explain the random DMCAs for The General.

I’m also sceptical to if us searching for the titles would influence users who have never listened to GNRs results, which it does. I can see it showing up on my account since I regularly listen to the band but it makes no sense for it to show up for people who never listen to GNR. If the algorithm was that sensitive it would be really hard to find anything you actually want.

Edited by Swedish
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Swedish said:

I want to believe the algorithm theory as well, because then I won’t get disappointed, but it does not explain how State of Grace was the first song that GNR showed up for and it just randomly appeared 3 years after the village leaks. A neither does it explain the random DMCAs for The General.

I’m also sceptical to if us searching for the titles would influence users who have never listened to GNRs results, which it does. I can see it showing up on my account since I regularly listen to the band but it makes no sense for it to show up for people who never listen to GNR. If the algorithm was that sensitive it would be really hard to find anything you actually want.

The trouble with the algorithm theory is, who is typing in Guns N Roses into the search engines? We are all just typing in a song title which could be by anyone and GNR is coming up as a suggested match.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, metalavenger99 said:

ASCAP.png

ASCAP-2.png

LOL... Were those always registered here?

No idea, but at least we now know Rick was telling the truth about the title of Tommy Demo #1

Edit: The ISWC numbers for both of these songs start with T-312 while Hard Skool’s starts with T-310. Does a higher ISWC number suggest that a song was registered more recently than a song with a lower number? Not sure how it all works.

Edited by LlamaRenegade

17 minutes ago, Towelie said:

The trouble with the algorithm theory is, who is typing in Guns N Roses into the search engines? We are all just typing in a song title which could be by anyone and GNR is coming up as a suggested match.

My theory was that if people who search for, say, Atlas Shrugged, tend to listen a lot to GN'R, then when other people also search for Atlas Shrugged, Spotify will suggest GN'R as a band this searcher is likely to enjoy. 

55 minutes ago, metalavenger99 said:

Maybe, but it's still strange how the first guy did this all by himself for Atlas or SOG in the UK. The amount of times that person had to look up for those names must've been insanely high and/or consistent.

Unless it wasn't just one person and this was actually a thing a lot of people were doing everyday, then I was unaware of that all of this time :lol:

I don't think it was necessarily one guy who caused the avalanche but the accumulation of many people, who tend to listen to GN'R, having searched for these songs over the last years. Eventually, Spotify would make the connection and start suggesting GN'R as an artist to everyone searching for that song. 

16 hours ago, Spoon87 said:

First time trying that spotify search thing you guys are all doing. First time using spotify ever, not registered there:

"Atlas Shru" pulls up GNR immediately

That's it, nothing more. Location Germany.

Tried it again just now, still the same. Guess I'm too boring for the algorithm. :D

4 minutes ago, Dean said:

I believe Tommy was going to be trying to get those songs back, so maybe he has succeeded?

I hope he does, it would be interesting if he got Going Down out. Would be great if Axl let him use his backing vocals too. He did it for Gilby with Dead Flowers but probably just wishful thinking.

5 minutes ago, betterman said:

Its listed as performers: Guns n roses, so I guess Tommy does not own it and will eventually be released under GnR name

Guns n roses are listed as performers on a heap of songs they haven't released so not necessarily - lots of songs they covered are listed as being performed by them 

1 hour ago, metalavenger99 said:

ASCAP.png

ASCAP-2.png

LOL... Were these always registered here?

I don't know since when these two songs were registered, but judging from the ISWC codes, they must have been registered along with Hard Skool. Probably all three were registered with ASCAP the time of the release of Hard Skool, however they were not made public until two-three months ago.

Keeping in mind that it took a while for Hard Skool appear in the database (I could be wrong - at the very least, the songwriters didn't appear for some time), but for anyone thinking that these songs not appearing on the database is a worry, previously I mentioned about the upcoming new Queen single Face It Alone that brings Queen up on the top search along with The Miracle on Spotify, that too isn't on the database yet.

image.png.4c33b677b7a4bd82af56071bff9cab39.png

31 minutes ago, betterman said:

I found something here: https://www.ascap.com/repertory#/ace/search/title/State of grace/performer/Guns n roses?at=true&searchFilter=SVW&page=1

If you search for State of grace plus Guns n roses, it shows as an alternative title to Sweet child o mine! I guess this might be bad news

Okay, SCOM was featured in a 1990 movie called State of Grace:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100685/soundtrack/

Well, I guess that's it, we can all go home now. It was fun in the few days it lasted.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1