John Frusciante returns to RHCP

vloors

53 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Josh? 

While I prefer John as a guitarrist, and his best albums are hands down the albums that made RHCP what they are today, this new one feels uninspired and rushed AF. I prefer both Josh albums to this one so far. Especially The Getaway.

Not a single memorable John moment in the whole album. Maybe the vocals on Heavy Wing? Maybe his mind was just somehere else. Were these songs even composed with him? Can anyone name me one great guitar line in this album?

• Wow 1

this one is pretty chill. I like it, perfect for my evening walks. I do feel like John was maybe too polite in the studio. He talked about feeling like he was too front and center while recording SA with too much backing vocals. Personally I think with his talent and vision I would have probably liked it better if he was more prominent but it's a good record. It seems that they just went with the natural vibe between the 4 of them and that's cool. Not disappointed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cosmo said:

Not a single memorable John moment in the whole album. Maybe the vocals on Heavy Wing? Maybe his mind was just somehere else. Were these songs even composed with him? Can anyone name me one great guitar line in this album?

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

this one is pretty chill. I like it, perfect for my evening walks. I do feel like John was maybe too polite in the studio. He talked about feeling like he was too front and center while recording SA with too much backing vocals. Personally I think with his talent and vision I would have probably liked it better if he was more prominent but it's a good record. It seems that they just went with the natural vibe between the 4 of them and that's cool. Not disappointed.

I agree with both of these takes. The album makes me want to go listen to some John solo stuff.

11 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

One thing I’ll say though even without loving it…can you name another 40 year old band putting out an album as good?

Not many but it’s not that hard, too… Judas Priest put out one of the best albums of their career a while ago, Iron Maiden’s latest wasn’t that good but certainly better than this. Megadeth’s last album was pretty good, certainly more solid than this. Rush’s last album was one of the best albums in the amazing career and they had over 40 years of activity. I agree it’s better than what bands like Pearl Jam and Metallica have been putting out, though.

I dont know how RHCP fans can prefer the getaway over unlimited love,different level with John back. I preferred the b sides with Josh over the albums, the heavy wing is one of their best songs ever.

Even the lesser songs on this are better than anything on the getaway.

• Like 1

Off the top of my head I can think of Soul Asylum. They've been releasing records since 1984 (same year as RHCP) and their latest record is pretty damn good.

4 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Even Josh himself says he doesn’t like the two albums he made with them, sadly. I think there are solid songs on both of those albums, but mixed with some real ear-bleeders (Brutus, Ticonderoga, etc.).

He didn't like working with Rick Rubin and he had some issues during the recording of The Getaway, but I can't imagine that he doesn't like a lot of the songs, because there's some strong material on both records, and he did co-write them. So I'm guessing he just wasn't happy with the recording process?

Anyway, I'm curious to see if they're going to play any songs from the Josh era. I hope they do because I think a lot of fans wanna hear at least a few of them and it'd be shitty for Josh if they ignored all of them.

PS, I couldn't help but think about Josh when I watched their latest video and you can see that skinny kid playing guitar in his room. Same layer of clothes the way Josh often wears it and same haircut. Coincidence? Probably...

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

Off the top of my head I can think of Soul Asylum. They've been releasing records since 1984 (same year as RHCP) and their latest record is pretty damn good.

He didn't like working with Rick Rubin and he had some issues during the recording of The Getaway, but I can't imagine that he doesn't like a lot of the songs, because there's some strong material on both records, and he did co-write them. So I'm guessing he just wasn't happy with the recording process?

Anyway, I'm curious to see if they're going to play any songs from the Josh era. I hope they do because I think a lot of fans wanna hear at least a few of them and it'd be shitty for Josh if they ignored all of them.

PS, I couldn't help but think about Josh when I watched their latest video and you can see that skinny kid playing guitar in his room. Same layer of clothes the way Josh often wears it and same haircut. Coincidence? Probably...

Yeah I hope they at least still play Dark Necessities. Guess we will find out come June. And yeah I’m pretty sure the kid in the video was an allusion to Josh.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah I hope they at least still play Dark Necessities. Guess we will find out come June. And yeah I’m pretty sure the kid in the video was an allusion to Josh.

Looks just like John when he was younger.

Josh always looked as though he was trying to look like John when he was younger so who knows!

26 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Cool. 

Is this the first time he's sung a lead part on an album track? I know he does a tonne of backing vocals, but I don't recall him ever doing a lead vocal on a RHCP track before.

Knock me down is pretty much John on lead for the whole song due to dodgy mixing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

Cool. 

Is this the first time he's sung a lead part on an album track? I know he does a tonne of backing vocals, but I don't recall him ever doing a lead vocal on a RHCP track before.

Technically yes, this is John’s first time singing lead vocals on the chorus of a RHCP song all on his own.

Josh doesn't like IWY because all of his songs were left out of the album by Rick Rubin and then later put on I'm Beside You. I don't think I heard him dislike The Getaway tho. I didn't listen to all of his podcasts and radio interviews tho but that's what he was saying when he left the band

7 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Technically yes, this is John’s first time singing lead vocals on the chorus of a RHCP song all on his own.

He sings lead on half of the chorus on Dosed and there's some lead on Strip My Mind.

Listened to Rick Rubin’s podcast with John today. They don’t talk about the new album at all, but they spend a lot of time talking about how John was first brought into the band, so it’s cool for those who don’t know how it began and are interested. John had been a fan of the band for years before joining at age 18 or something.

9 hours ago, Nicklord said:

Josh doesn't like IWY because all of his songs were left out of the album by Rick Rubin and then later put on I'm Beside You. I don't think I heard him dislike The Getaway tho. I didn't listen to all of his podcasts and radio interviews tho but that's what he was saying when he left the band

Do you know where I can find him talking about that?

Edited by Jakey Styley

1 hour ago, Jakey Styley said:

Listened to Rick Rubin’s podcast with John today. They don’t talk about the new album at all, but they spend a lot of time talking about how John was first brought into the band, so it’s cool for those who don’t know how it began and are interested. John had been a fan of the band for years before joining at age 18 or something.

Do you know where I can find him talking about that?

Pretty sure it was the Marc Maron podcast episode he did in late 2019, literally just a few days after the band kicked him out. Pretty sure I remember him saying in that interview that he also didn’t like The Getaway, but I could be wrong.

On 4/3/2022 at 10:52 AM, Cosmo said:

Whatchu Thinkin is pretty decent on guitar.

• Like 2

Ranking all the songs since Stadium Arcadium. There's a HUGE quality drop from Stadium Arcadium to I'm With You and from The Getaway to Unlimited Love, IMO. There's just an abyss between John's two albums in terms of quality. 

• Blue = Stadium Arcadium
  • White = I'm With You
  • Yellow = The Getaway
  • Red = Unlimited Love
  1. Slow Cheetah
  2. Hard To Concentrate
  3. Dark Necessities
  4. Desecration Smile
  5. Snow (Hey Oh)
  6. Tell Me Baby
  7. Dani California
  8. Go Robot
  9. Goodbye Hooray
  10. Charlie
  11. Make You Feel Better
  12. Hey
  13. Strip My Mind
  14. She's Only 18
  15. Stadium Arcadium
  16. She Looks To Me
  17. Monarchy of Roses
  18. Hump de Bump
  19. Especially In Michigan
  20. Wet Sand
  21. 21st Century
  22. Dreams of a Samurai
  23. Look Around
  24. Readymade
  25. Black Summer
  26. Animal Bar
  27. Torture Me
  28. Encore
  29. Goodbye Angels
  30. Did I Let You Know
  31. Warlocks
  32. The Hunter
  33. We Believe
  34. Ethiopia
  35. Meet Me At The Corner
  36. Poster Child
  37. Factory Of Faith
  38. The Longest Wave
  39. It's Only Natural
  40. Feasting On The Flowers
  41. The Adventures Of Raindance Maggie
  42. Death of a Martian
  43. Bastards of Light
  44. We Turn Red
  45. Let 'Em Cry
  46. The Heavy Wing
  47. Storm in a Teacup
  48. Sick Love
  49. White Braids and Pillow Chair
  50. If
  51. Annie Wants a Baby
  52. The Great Apes
  53. Not The One
  54. Aquatic Mouth Dance
  55. So Much I
  56. Even You Brutus?
  57. Brendan's Death Song
  58. The Getaway
  59. C'mon Girl
  60. Whatchu Thinkin
  61. This Ticonderoga
  62. Turn It Again
  63. Here Ever After
  64. She's a Lover
  65. These Are The Ways
  66. Detroit
  67. Happiness Loves Company
  68. Dance, Dance, Dance
  69. Police Station
  70. Veronica
  71. Tangelo
  72. One Way Traffic

3 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

Ranking all the songs since Stadium Arcadium. There's a HUGE quality drop from Stadium Arcadium to I'm With You and from The Getaway to Unlimited Love, IMO. There's just an abyss between John's two albums in terms of quality. 

• Blue = Stadium Arcadium
  • White = I'm With You
  • Yellow = The Getaway
  • Red = Unlimited Love
  1. Slow Cheetah
  2. Hard To Concentrate
  3. Dark Necessities
  4. Desecration Smile
  5. Snow (Hey Oh)
  6. Tell Me Baby
  7. Dani California
  8. Go Robot