John Frusciante returns to RHCP

vloors

Kimmel tomorrow night (pre-recorded today at Roosevelt Hotel rooftop in LA).

Fallon also tomorrow night (pre-recorded a few days ago at NBC Studio 6B in NYC).

Fonda theater gig in LA also tomorrow night.

Stern on April 5th (they’ll be zooming in from Sirius XM garage in LA).

Amoeba Records show in LA April 7th.

Edited by rocknroll41

Not very impressed on a first listen, but I could definitely see that changing (often not impressed by albums on a first listen, especially a long one like this). I want it to be more in my face and more melody driven than jammy. I don't think they've topped I'm With You.

The Heavy Wing is definitely my favorite at this point.

3 hours ago, Jakey Styley said:

Not very impressed on a first listen, but I could definitely see that changing (often not impressed by albums on a first listen, especially a long one like this). I want it to be more in my face and more melody driven than jammy. I don't think they've topped I'm With You.

The Heavy Wing is definitely my favorite at this point.

When it comes to I’m With You; I think the first 8 songs and Police Station and Meet Me at the Corner are all solid, but then Happiness Loves Company, Goodbye Hooray and Brutus are all ear-bleeding terrible, and Dance Dance Dance is cringe.

This new record doesn’t really have any “hits,” but it doesn’t have any songs that make my ears bleed either.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

When it comes to I’m With You; I think the first 8 songs and Police Station and Meet Me at the Corner are all solid, but then Happiness Loves Company, Goodbye Hooray and Brutus are all ear-bleeding terrible, and Dance Dance Dance is cringe.

This new record doesn’t really have any “hits,” but it doesn’t have any songs that make my ears bleed either.

With John back in they are on another level,I like some of the stuff with Josh. But it just feels right with John back,they are kicking ass again.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

I think I'm With You is honestly my favourite RHCP album. 

I love even the songs you dislike, except for Brutus, which is perhaps the albums one weak track. Dance Dance Dance isn't great, but kinda catchy. The rest of the album is killer, especially Factory of Faith, Monarchy of Roses and Raindance Maggie. 

Too early to form a proper opinion on Unlimited Love, only on a second listen and I rarely like RHCP music on a first listen.

Edited by Towelie

I love I'm With You. It's not their best record, but there are some great songs on there and what I like is that they were trying something different. More piano based and coming at it from a different angle. I don't know if that was Josh's doing or Flea's who had learned to play piano and went to music school during their hiatus before making that record. Same for The Getaway. I like the new record just fine, some great songs on there, but it's nothing new. It's very much Stadium Arcadium, some great songs, good songs and some filler, just overall less interesting guitar stuff from John on there compared to Stadium Arcadium.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

What a weak album, IMO. The weakest album I’ve seen them release since I’ve gotten into this band. The Getaway was much, much better. I’m With You was more solid. Can’t hold a candle to Stadium Arcadium. This is so uninspired. Shame, I had high expectations.

• Confused 1

The band goes crazy at the end of These Are The Ways, but I honestly hate Anthony on it - very very very bad hook IMO

Definitely liking the album more a bit more now on my second listen. Still have the same feeling that I just wanted it to be more in my face. Where is a song with the power of Charlie? A Can't Stop?  Wet Sand, Turn it Again? Frusciante's return didn't bring back what I expected it to. Even when the album is upbeat, it's somehow still laid back.

On 4/2/2022 at 9:06 PM, Jakey Styley said:

The band goes crazy at the end of These Are The Ways, but I honestly hate Anthony on it - very very very bad hook IMO

Definitely liking the album more a bit more now on my second listen. Still have the same feeling that I just wanted it to be more in my face. Where is a song with the power of Charlie? A Can't Stop?  Wet Sand, Turn it Again? Frusciante's return didn't bring back what I expected it to. Even when the album is upbeat, it's somehow still laid back.

Yeah I’ll admit that the songs that are meant to be more energetic (One Way Traffic mainly) don’t sound as organic as the rest of the record imo.

EDIT: make no mistake. I still pretty much like the whole album, I just happen to prefer all the more jammy and/or intimate tunes.

Edited by rocknroll41

10 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah I’ll admit that the songs that are meant to be more energetic (Great Apes, These Are the Ways, One Way Traffic) don’t sound as organic as the rest of the record imo. The guitar solo on Great Apes saves that song for me tho. And the outro to TATW is cool.

I know the band recorded a lotttt more songs. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some sick B sides released. I thought the I'm With You B Sides were incredible.

Just now, Jakey Styley said:

I know the band recorded a lotttt more songs. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some sick B sides released. I thought the I'm With You B Sides were incredible.

Well we already have the Japanese bonus track Nerve Flip, and it’s very heavy and grungy.

15 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Well we already have the Japanese bonus track Nerve Flip, and it’s very heavy and grungy.

Thanks for putting me on to that!

Just got done watching all the live stuff. It's so nice to see them jamming again, it comes SO effortlessly to them. Chad Smith is such a good fucking drummer, I think one of the most underrated ever, I never see him mentioned in top drummer lists.

I have to listen to the Rick Rubin podcast now. Feeling super excited to see them in September. I have decent tickets, but really wish GA wasn't fucking $700. Don't know how many more chances I'll get to see these 4 together.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jakey Styley said:

Thanks for putting me on to that!

Just got done watching all the live stuff. It's so nice to see them jamming again, it comes SO effortlessly to them. Chad Smith is such a good fucking drummer, I think one of the most underrated ever, I never see him mentioned in top drummer lists.

I have to listen to the Rick Rubin podcast now. Feeling super excited to see them in September. I have decent tickets, but really wish GA wasn't fucking $700. Don't know how many more chances I'll get to see these 4 together.

Fly to Europe for a weekend and watch them anywhere for that kind of money lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jakey Styley said:

I gotta agree with that. Band sounds tight but hook and these lyrics are just cringe…

„the sound the smells the sights the america” no, Anthony, please stop 

That being said, I’m loving the album, I find it to be a very enjoyable listen.