John Frusciante returns to RHCP

vloors

I just saw that the music video has 7.4m after 3-4 days. Abusrd is at 2.5m after 6 months and HS is at 2.8m after 4 months.

Those are bands of roughly similar sized fanbases (GnR maybe even "casual" fans?) and I'm still amazed how GnR fails so hard in creating any hype after the reunion happened :D

4 hours ago, Nicklord said:

I just saw that the music video has 7.4m after 3-4 days. Abusrd is at 2.5m after 6 months and HS is at 2.8m after 4 months.

Those are bands of roughly similar sized fanbases (GnR maybe even "casual" fans?) and I'm still amazed how GnR fails so hard in creating any hype after the reunion happened :D

I don't think this is a fair comparison. RHCP are obviously more popular and mainstream and their music also speaks to a lot of non-rock fans, at least since they became more pop in the last twenty years. Besides that, they have been releasing a lot of music in the last twenty years, with a lot of hits, so they're a lot more well known, also with newer generations . GnR hasn't had a real hit song since the early 90's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coma16 said:

Is there a way to view Spotify steams for Hardskool vs Black Summer?

Black Summer at this moment - 3 468 846
Hard Skool - 6 114 509
Absurd - 3 694 966

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

I don't think this is a fair comparison. RHCP are obviously more popular and mainstream and their music also speaks to a lot of non-rock fans, at least since they became more pop in the last twenty years. Besides that, they have been releasing a lot of music in the last twenty years, with a lot of hits, so they're a lot more well known, also with newer generations . GnR hasn't had a real hit song since the early 90's.

They have similar number of spotify listeners. RHCP 23m and GnR 20m. I think it's comparable. RHCP is more mainstream currently and that's kinda what I wanted to say. GnR is failing to be that band and they're trying hard (not the actual members, I'm talking about the brand) to be cool and hip with the kids

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

They have similar number of spotify listeners. RHCP 23m and GnR 20m. I think it's comparable. RHCP is more mainstream currently and that's kinda what I wanted to say. GnR is failing to be that band and they're trying hard (not the actual members, I'm talking about the brand) to be cool and hip with the kids

I don't really see them trying hard to be cool and hip. They're barely even promoting themselves. As for YouTube views, most people in their 20's, and probably even early 30's, are a lot more familiar with a band like RHCP, who has released a lot of music in the last 23 years and scored many hits, than a band like GnR who hasn't really had a hit single in decades, or barely released much at all. This is kinda stating the obvious. I don't know about spotify, but it's not hard to understand that a band like RHCP will get more views much quicker. It's too bad people on here immediately have to use something about GnR again to make fun or ridicule the band.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EvanG said:

I don't really see them trying hard to be cool and hip. They're barely even promoting themselves. As for YouTube views, most people in their 20's, and probably even early 30's, are a lot more familiar with a band like RHCP, who has released a lot of music in the last 23 years and scored many hits, than a band like GnR who hasn't really had a hit single in decades, or barely released much at all. This is kinda stating the obvious. I don't know about spotify, but it's not hard to understand that a band like RHCP will get more views much quicker. It's too bad people on here immediately have to use something about GnR again to make fun or ridicule the band.

We're not ridiculing GNR. I think their numbers could be just as high, if they do things in certain (proper) way. But they clearly don't have an album ready, or dont care about releasing it, which is why their first 2 single with Slash havent moved the needle. It has nothing to do with their last big hit being from the early 90s imo...

Edited by Coma16

3 hours ago, Coma16 said:

We're not ridiculing GNR. I think their numbers could be just as high, if they do things in certain (proper) way. But they clearly don't have an album ready, or dont care about releasing it, which is why their first 2 single with Slash havent moved the needle. It has nothing to do with their last big hit being from the early 90s imo...

I'm not saying you are ridiculing them, but that other poster kinda did by saying they fail to create a hype and then using that kind of emoticon. But whatever. Not important.

I don't think their numbers could be just as high when you compare how active and relevant both bands have been in the last two decades.

Edited by EvanG

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2022 at 10:02 PM, Dean said:

Black Summer is a grower. It didn't grab me to begin with, but after a few listens, I think it'll be in my rotation for a while yet.

Yes I agree, I like the song structure more. The song feels very short for its length with is a good sign. I really has grown on me.

Edited by Shacklers Absolution
Misspelling
  • Like 1

I'm not educated on how the charts work nowadays, but I'd imagine the amount of views that they've had on YouTube alone would generate a decent income to compensate what they may have missed out on if not enough digital media is being purchased?

I've just pre-ordered the album. Still on the fence in regards to the GNR shows this summer, but if I do end up cancelling, I'll ensure I see these guys in Glasgow instead (the dates currently clash). 

14 hours ago, EvanG said:

Not sure how I feel about this. I like the funkiness, but it kinda sounds like a B-side without a hook. Maybe it'll grow on me.

This is not what I expected with the return of the Mistro. This song sucks. They both have been underwhelming. This song should not have even made the album.  

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Ixtlan said:

This is not what I expected with the return of the Mistro. This song sucks. They both have been underwhelming. This song should not have even made the album.  

I wasn't sure what to expect with John's return to be honest. They're no spring chickens anymore and apparently he hasn't been writing this type of music in a long time. I read somewhere he hadn't even played guitar much in the last years. But then again, the same thing was going on before Californication, and they ended up writing one of their best records.

I don't dislike either songs so far, but for first singles they are a bit underwhelming. They're definitely of no Scar Tissue or By The Way quality.