Travelling thread

Dangelus

Was picked out for an interrogation just now at the airport in Tel Aviv. Never experienced anything similar. Basically had to tell my whole life story and was asked again and again about details about my company. It probably went on for 40 minutes. It didn't help it was a 2 in the morning. I wonder why on earth I was picked. I usually float through security as if it was nothing.

Then Israel is a weird place. It has to be. Only a few weeks ago the iron dome had to shoot down missiles sent from Gaza towards Tel Aviv. Crazy.

This is definitely one of the worst travel experiences I have had, and it is ongoing. Started with having to check out from the hotel at 1am and then deal with taxi scoundrels, then the Israeli interrogation, then a cancelled flight and 7 hour waiting, then lost luggage, and now further delays. Thanks to @Muddyfor at least engaging me in an interesting discussion. 

• Wow 1

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

This is definitely one of the worst travel experiences I have had, and it is ongoing. Started with having to check out from the hotel at 1am and then deal with taxi scoundrels, then the Israeli interrogation, then a cancelled flight and 7 hour waiting, then lost luggage, and now further delays. Thanks to @Muddyfor at least engaging me in an interesting discussion. 

wow that sucks, man. Some places really feel like they're actively trying to show you're not welcome, unfortunately.

• Like 1

I've been back in Scotland for the last 6 months or so as I picked up a stray doggie friend whilst in Albania. It turned out she had heartworms and needed treatment/rest but pleased to say she has finished her medication and had no sign of heartworms on her last trip to the vets :) 

IMG-20230518-135126014-HDR.jpg

We've started exercising her slowly and will take her on little adventures around Scotland for now, then heading back to Europe after the summer when AirBNB prices aren't so insane. Think we're gonna start in northern Spain and make our way east across Europe over the winter months :) 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2023 at 9:16 PM, Cosmo said:

Gonna spend a weekend in London next month. Stoked.

I'm going to visit my brother in London in the next fortnight, have to say I'm not stoked :rofl-lol:  I work remotely for a company in Australia which means I do night shifts. Trying to sleep during the day in London is pretty much impossible due to the heat and noise. Will be nice for me to see family again though :) What have you got planned for your weekend there?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, willl said:

I'm going to visit my brother in London in the next fortnight, have to say I'm not stoked :rofl-lol:  I work remotely for a company in Australia which means I do night shifts. Trying to sleep during the day in London is pretty much impossible due to the heat and noise. Will be nice for me to see family again though :) What have you got planned for your weekend there?

Yeah, that must suck... I do freelance digital marketing and most of my clients are from Brazil, so the different time zones also fuck up my work hours. But in your case it's Australia so it must be a lot worse in that aspect.  Hope you have a good time, though! Got nothing planned so far. My wife wanted to organize the trip and so far, nothing at all :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, SAU3R said:

Spent the last 10 days traveling through Lebanon and Istanbul. Especially Lebanon is absolutely beautiful and the people are the nicest I’ve ever met!

Looks stunning. Have never been to the country but every Lebanese restaurant I've been to has always been really great food :)

• Like 1

On 10/7/2023 at 8:34 AM, willl said:

Looks stunning. Have never been to the country but every Lebanese restaurant I've been to has always been really great food :)

Yeah the food was really good and I definitely want to come back someday, but I have to say I’m glad I got out of there last friday given what’s happening in the Middle East right now…

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2023 at 5:36 PM, Axls Rocket Queen said:

Heading to Malta and Glasgow in November!

Hoping to book more international gigs next year, aiming for Rome in January and I'm hoping to make a trip back to the US in 2024

Confirmed plans so far-

New Orleans and Rome in January, Los Angeles in March :headbang:

Will hopefully also be getting to Switzerland later in the year or maybe into 2025, tbc

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Lio said:

That seems random 😁 It's only a five hours drive from here and I don't think anyone I know's been there. 

Why Heidelberg? 

It is considered one of the nicest cities in south Germany, with a very well preserved old city and a nice castle on the hill above. It is a university city which is vibrant and with lots of nice restaurants, pubs and cafes. It is also small enough to walk everywhere. And the surrounding region has lots of nice wineries, castles and nature. 

• Like 1

I watched a documentary about Liquido's song "Narcotic" recently and they visited the singer in Heidelberg because that's where he wrote the song. It's only 4 hours from here but I had never heard about it before. Looks like a charming town, though.

Edited by EvanG

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

It is considered one of the nicest cities in south Germany, with a very well preserved old city and a nice castle on the hill above. It is a university city which is vibrant and with lots of nice restaurants, pubs and cafes. It is also small enough to walk everywhere. And the surrounding region has lots of nice wineries, castles and nature. 

I'm sure it's great and worth the visit, it just seemed random to me that someone from Detroit (I think) would be interested in just that particular city.

29 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I watched a documentary about Liquido's song "Narcotic" recently and they visited the singer in Heidelberg because that's where he wrote the song. It's only 4 hours from here but I had never heard about it before. Looks like a charming town, though.

Thanks. Glad I'm not the only one :lol: I have been thinking lately that Germany is a country I have barely visited at all, even if it's closeby (some of it is anyway). I seem to always end up in the Netherlands or France if I'm going for a short holiday abroad.

18 minutes ago, Lio said:

I'm sure it's great and worth the visit, it just seemed random to me that someone from Detroit (I think) would be interested in just that particular city.

Oh yeah, you're right. I wouldn't make Heidelberg my main destination if I came from the US. But as a place to visit while exploring that region of Europe, it makes some sense. You're right.

19 minutes ago, Lio said:

Thanks. Glad I'm not the only one :lol: I have been thinking lately that Germany is a country I have barely visited at all, even if it's closeby (some of it is anyway). I seem to always end up in the Netherlands or France if I'm going for a short holiday abroad.

I think apart from Hamburg and Dresden, I have been to every major city in Germany. But I prefer Belgian or French cities regarding architecture, which is usually my main reason to go to a city anyway. Munich is nice, but it's no Antwerp, for example. And except for Berlin of course. That's not a pretty city either, but everything else there makes up for it.

On 12/29/2023 at 4:45 AM, Lio said:

That seems random 😁 It's only a five hours drive from here and I don't think anyone I know's been there. 

Why Heidelberg? 

On 12/29/2023 at 4:49 AM, SoulMonster said:

Got my flight! I’m staying 10 days in Frankfurt. Fiancé is going for work so I figure I’ll tag along while she’s at her conference

• Like 3