The history of GN'R as told by GN'R (A4D)

1 hour ago, Debt said:

He was lucky Axl stuck with that 3 guitarist idea. Robin and Fortus were more than adequate. After Bucket left Axl should have retired the 3 guitarist idea. 

Yeah but he needed a technical virtuoso for those CD sections with Bucket’s guitar. Robin is not that type of a guitarist, hence BBF. Although maybe, with some alternations, 4tus could have played it. You may be onto something here. In any case, I liked BBF, he came off as the most open, human one out of the bunch. 

1 hour ago, rumandraisin said:

Should he have been saying anything. Considering he was an employer of Axls and pretty lucky in that regard to travel the globe X amount of times over and be on the album? To spend at least 3 years moaning publicly just seemed sad and embarrassing to me. Surely this must've got back to TB and Axl. 

I wouldn’t call it spending 3 years moaning. He did a great deal of interviews and appearances, and on occasions, he just honestly said what he thought regarding the creative process etc., which is more than any of those other "we’ll see, hopefully, ask Axl" guys, that’s all.

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
58 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Thank you! :)

I don't have any plans for a book right now, I feel I have so much more groundwork to do before I can even contemplate such things.

TAs for my immediate plan, right now it is to complete this the way I am doing it, i.e get to the present (currently working on 2016, so a few more years to go!). And when that is done I want to go over it and make it better by adding a few sentences here that adds context, move chapters around, add more images, add links, draw lines to previous events, etc. Basically just increase the readability of it. The purpose will still be to let the quotes speak for themselves without providing interpretation and creating a narrative that might not be true, but just make it a better read. 

Then I might consider other media to make it more accessible to people, maybe a book or something like that, but it must be free for people to access and read. This is totally non-profit, and for two reasons: I want it to be perceived exactly as it is, a nerdish labor of love; and because no one should ever be able to suggest I am not 100% impartial and objective by having accepted money from anyone. My agenda is only to present what has actually been said by the band members (and those close to them) over the years, and sort this chronologically and thematically. Other people can then create stories and narrative out of it. But it will be harder to create a narrative not based on facts when anyone can just verify by checking with my work.

Epic. Very much the mark Lewishohn approach then, a detailed compendium of quotes and historic sources .. the narrative tells itself. Awesome. If it is ever make a book though, I’m buying it!

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

On 5/11/2023 at 7:17 AM, SoulMonster said:

The next chapter, covering the entire 2015, is now out: (6) 35. 2015: AXL AND SLASH MAKE PEACE, DJ LEAVES THE BAND, WILL 2016 BE THE YEAR OF THE REUNION? (a-4-d.com)

2015 was an interesting year. On one hand nothing really happened with the current version of the band (except DJ leaving), the band was on hiatus and Frank and Richard (not DJ) would talk vaguely about something happening in 2016. On the other hand, Axl and Slash were clearly getting over their feud, resulting in various rumours about Slash rejoining the band (whilst DJ was leaving) and a reunion tour coming up in 2016. Not only that, these rumours become more and more concrete (unlike DJ's position in the band) as the year went on with the band itself hinting towards big things to come (as if DJ leaving wasn't enough). The year ended with Axl planning to guest at the Jimmy Kimmel show, widely expected to be him presenting details about the 2016 reunion tour.  What wasn't clear, though, was what the 2016 lineup would look like (except that DJ was out), if it was just a single show or two, and if new music was also in the cards. Oh, the excitement!

For an index over absolutely every chapter, look here: (6) 02. GLOBAL INDEX (a-4-d.com)
For a list over all interviews/articles used: (6) INTERVIEW AND ARTICLE INDEX (a-4-d.com)

I've been waiting for this. Can't express how much I love these chapters, I've re-read 2002 so many times, the absolute shit show of the tour, MTV, the backtrack on if the album would come out... Such a good read! Thank you, keep them up!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

The next chapter deals with January to June of 2016: JANUARY-JUNE 2016 - SLASH AND DUFF JOINS GUNS N' ROSES, TOMMY AND CHRIS LEAVES THE BAND, AXL JOINS AC/DC

Not a long time period at all but by Jove the amount of things happening and the levels of excitement that were reached! It started out by Slash and Duff being confirmed to having rejoined Guns N' Roses, something that was highly anticipated after the events of 2016. With Duff coming in it was clear Tommy was indeed out of the band, something which was also kind of in the cards after the previous two years. What was a little bit more unexpected, was Chris leaving the band not long after, in a huff and a puff, and then being replaced by the band's first and only female member, Melissa. The rest of the lineup was also confirmed to include Dizzy, Richard and Frank, basically creating a hybrid lineup comprised of "classic Guns" and "most recent Guns" As if this wasn't enough action and drama for at least one GN'R year, we then learnt that Axl would join AC/DC for a tour in Europe, replacing Brian Johnson who suffered from hearing issues, and basically becoming the frontman of two of the biggest rock bands in history, simultaneously. These news were quickly followed by successful shows by the new GN'R and a successful Axl/DC tour in Europe. Wow!

Good read. A lot of nostalgia, can’t believe it’s been 7 years already! One thing I noticed, you put Melissa’s birth date as 1983..?? She’s 40?! Is that correct? :wow:

Edited by D4NNY
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, D4NNY said:

Good read. A lot of nostalgia, can’t believe it’s been 7 years already! One thing I noticed, you put Melissa’s birth date as 1983..?? She’s 40?! Is that correct? :wow:

Thanks!

I don't have a better source for that date then Wikipedia, yet. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, D4NNY said:

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Thanks!

I don't have a better source for that date then Wikipedia, yet. 

I think she is born in 1990. It was also on wikipedia, but it seems that someone changed it to 1983 which is wrong year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, We love Axl Rose said:

I think she is born in 1990. It was also on wikipedia, but it seems that someone changed it to 1983 which is wrong year.

I also googled it and found 1990, same year as me which I found pretty cool.. then I realised what’s she’s achieved by this age and here I am.. ah well 😅

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

1983 is most likely correct, because she graduated from high school in 2001 (evidence here). Moreover, her professional and romantic relationship with Brain started around 2006, and she would have been too  young for that had she been born in 1990.

Wow. She looks damn good for 40! I honestly would never have guessed

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Just saw a Rolling Stone interview that said she was 25 when she was contacted about joining the band before the reunion. So I assume she was born in 1990.

Yeah, the post I linked to was a comment in the thread about that Rolling Stone interview. We had discussed then about why that would be wrong.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

The next chapter deals with January to June of 2016: JANUARY-JUNE 2016 - SLASH AND DUFF JOINS GUNS N' ROSES, TOMMY AND CHRIS LEAVES THE BAND, AXL JOINS AC/DC

Not a long time period at all but by Jove the amount of things happening and the levels of excitement that were reached! It started out by Slash and Duff being confirmed to having rejoined Guns N' Roses, something that was highly anticipated after the events of 2015. With Duff coming in it was clear Tommy was indeed out of the band, something which was also kind of in the cards after the previous two years. What was a little bit more unexpected, was Chris leaving the band not long after, in a huff and a puff, and then being replaced by the band's first and only female member, Melissa. The rest of the lineup was also confirmed to include Dizzy, Richard and Frank, basically creating a hybrid lineup comprised of "classic Guns" and "most recent Guns" As if this wasn't enough action and drama for at least one GN'R year, we then learnt that Axl would join AC/DC for a tour in Europe, replacing Brian Johnson who suffered from hearing issues, and basically becoming the frontman of two of the biggest rock bands in history, simultaneously. These news were quickly followed by successful shows by the new GN'R and a successful Axl/DC tour in Europe. Wow!

Hay, thanks SM, this is amazing. Not interested in previous 7 years as it culminates in what I consider the worst gnr period in my opinion, in that, heaps of time, massive non stop touring and 2 singles brickwalled to hell.

But didn't know this site existed, and looking forward to delving deep into gnr 2000s period w/bucket/robin/josh/Brian. This is so cool, thanks alot. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jimisbatman said:

Hay, thanks SM, this is amazing. Not interested in previous 7 years as it culminates in what I consider the worst gnr period in my opinion, in that, heaps of time, massive non stop touring and 2 singles brickwalled to hell.

But didn't know this site existed, and looking forward to delving deep into gnr 2000s period w/bucket/robin/josh/Brian. This is so cool, thanks alot. 

Thank you :) Praise should go to @Blackstar, too, who is doing an amazing job finding and retrieving articles and interviews and weeds out many of the mistakes I make.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/28/2023 at 3:31 PM, SoulMonster said:

Just finished another chapter, dealing with what happened in June 2016 to March 2017: https://tinyurl.com/59eet6n7 The summary is that touring happened. Lots of it. Not very much else although Izzy hinted at why he didn't play on the tour and Steven finally got his closure with the band (kidding!).

Thank you for doing this. I always enjoy reading your chapters and the whole website is very useful and user friendly. Really, great job!

• Thanks 1