AC/DC - Power Up available November 13

SAU3R

I didn't mention it in my last post but what a cracking solo Angus delivered in Money Shot (another one of my favorite songs on the album). Overall I find the solos on this album are a lot more reminiscent of old Angus (and by old I mean young, of course). In terms of sonic qualities and riffs, this album honestly sounds like it could have been the follow-up to For Those About To Rock. It just really fits the vibe of their early to mid eighties stuff, but more refined.

Seriously, what a terrific album. Makes me glad ten times over that AXL/DC did not continue.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

30 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

Through The Mists Of Time - now that's one hell of a great song, so much heart, so warm and sentimental in a good way, goes straight to the soul. I didn't ecpect them to come up with a song this good. Well done AC/DC, very well done.

My favourite track on the album at the moment and something genuinely a bit different for the 'DC.

Really impressed by how good it is.

No Man's Land has one riff in it that's so reminiscent of Traveling Riverside Blues by Led Zeppelin, am I the only one? Don't think ACDC have gone into that territory before.

My top songs currently: Money Shot, KYWYD, No Mans Land, and Systems Down (how good is that solo?)

I'm suprised I don't "get" Realize so far, everyone seems to be loving it

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

2 hours ago, James Bond said:

I didn't mention it in my last post but what a cracking solo Angus delivered in Money Shot (another one of my favorite songs on the album). Overall I find the solos on this album are a lot more reminiscent of old Angus (and by old I mean young, of course). In terms of sonic qualities and riffs, this album honestly sounds like it could have been the follow-up to For Those About To Rock. It just really fits the vibe of their early to mid eighties stuff, but more refined.

Seriously, what a terrific album. Makes me glad ten times over that AXL/DC did not continue.

I didn’t mention that either about Angus other than all his lead-rhythm stuff. This is really a great album from him in particular. A lot of the solos are instantly memorable and iconic, something that has been lacking by and large for quite some time. This is the most inspired guitar work from Angus since at least TRE, if not earlier. 

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

No Man's Land has one riff in it that's so reminiscent of Traveling Riverside Blues by Led Zeppelin, am I the only one? Don't think ACDC have gone into that territory before.

My top songs currently: Money Shot, KYWYD, No Mans Land, and Systems Down (how good is that solo?)

I'm suprised I don't "get" Realize so far, everyone seems to be loving it

The thing with Realize is it’s the first album opener since really Thunderstruck that really has a sense of urgency and energy to it. Hard As A Rock, Rock N’ Roll Train, and Rock Or Bust are all more back-beat, in the pocket rockers, the former of which also suffers from a mellow intro, and then Stiff Upper Lip is more of a bluesy song. Of those, only RNR Train and SUL work as openers (And the latter really only works because it sets the tone for that album). But Realize is really a throwback to the big, bombastic opening tracks of the 70’s and 80’s to me. 

• GNFNR 2

I just figured out my favourite albums since 1995

1. Power Up
2. Stiff Upper Lip
3. Ballbreaker
4. Rock Or Bust
5. Black Ice

Power Up is easily their best comeback album since Blow Up Your Video. All of the songs are fantastic and there are no fillers. 

Stiff Upper Lip and Ballbreaker were my first albums of the Brian era and I still love them both. 

Rock Or Bust was a great debut for Stevie. 

Black Ice is still good but had to many fillers for my taste (even more than on some of the previous albums) 

Edited by Sosso

3 hours ago, James Bond said:

Would the album be any different, though? Axl would have sung the same lyrics as Brian. Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy that Brian is back. I'm just saying that Angus still has the creative monopol over the songs. 

1 hour ago, Powerage5 said:

I didn’t mention that either about Angus other than all his lead-rhythm stuff. This is really a great album from him in particular. A lot of the solos are instantly memorable and iconic, something that has been lacking by and large for quite some time. This is the most inspired guitar work from Angus since at least TRE, if not earlier. 

The thing with Realize is it’s the first album opener since really Thunderstruck that really has a sense of urgency and energy to it. Hard As A Rock, Rock N’ Roll Train, and Rock Or Bust are all more back-beat, in the pocket rockers, the former of which also suffers from a mellow intro, and then Stiff Upper Lip is more of a bluesy song. Of those, only RNR Train and SUL work as openers (And the latter really only works because it sets the tone for that album). But Realize is really a throwback to the big, bombastic opening tracks of the 70’s and 80’s to me. 

I get it. What was great on TRE was that TS was also immediately followed by Fire Your Guns, what a 1-2 punch. They don't have many songs like that in the later years, This Means War is another one of those. Need to give Realize more listens until it starts to grow on me I think. I'm not usually a guy who listens to albums all the way through, but this album makes a really good case.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • GNFNR 1

25 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Would the album be any different, though? Axl would have sung the same lyrics as Brian. Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy that Brian is back. I'm just saying that Angus still has the creative monopol over the songs. 

No Cliff, possibly no Phil, and certainly not the true spirit of the band coming through every song like it means business. Even if the songs were identical, I don't think it would have meant the same.

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

I just figured out my favourite albums since 1995

1. Power Up
2. Stiff Upper Lip
3. Ballbreaker
4. Rock Or Bust
5. Black Ice

Power Up is easily their best comeback album since Blow Up Your Video. All of the songs are fantastic and there are no fillers. 

Stiff Upper Lip and Ballbreaker were my first albums of the Brian era and I still love them both. 

Rock Or Bust was a great debut for Stevie. 

Black Ice is still good but had to many fillers for my taste (even more than on some of the previous albums) 

My list:
1. Power Up
2. Rock Or Bust
3. Stiff Upper Lip
4. Black Ice
5. Ballbreaker

Power Up is just on another level from anything over the last 30 years. Rock Or Bust is a great, to the point album without any real filler. 11 songs in 33 minutes, it's down to business and it does that well. Stiff Upper Lip is a perfectly fine album without any real "wow" factor. Black Ice is probably the most adventurous AC/DC album, but it's also one of their more inconsistent. It's length is it's own undoing - 15 songs is just too long to not have any filler. The singles/songs play live, plus a couple others are phenomenal, but everything in between just sort of falls flat. Ballbreaker just never did it for me other than a couple songs. 

11 minutes ago, James Bond said:

No Cliff, possibly no Phil, and certainly not the true spirit of the band coming through every song like it means business. Even if the songs were identical, I don't think it would have meant the same.

I mostly agree, but I really wish Chris had been given another chance in the studio with AC/DC. He's far and away my favorite AC/DC drummer and he was sounding so good on the Rock Or Bust tour. Not to mention it's rough that this is the second time he's gotten the short end of the straw with AC/DC. That said, I understand the appeal of having Power Up be the closest as possible to the classic lineup. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

Johnno must have been really pissed off about the whole Axl situation, haha, he decided to pitch up and completely own it!

I don't think so. I mean, he just confirmed that he has lots of respect for Axl helping out. He was always a class act and has no oversized ego.

"He jumped into a tough, tough vocalist gig. You've got to be on top of your game for that. There's not many resting places.

"You've really got to go in full chop, all of the time. And for him to do that at such short notice was pretty fantastic. I've got a lot of respect for what he did, you know. A lot of respect."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/brian_johnson_speaks_up_on_acdc_replacing_him_with_axl_rose_shares_opinion_on_gnr_frontman.html

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

5 minutes ago, Sosso said:

I don't think so. I mean, he just confirmed that he has lots of respect for Axl helping out. He was always a class act and has no oversized ego.

"He jumped into a tough, tough vocalist gig. You've got to be on top of your game for that. There's not many resting places.

"You've really got to go in full chop, all of the time. And for him to do that at such short notice was pretty fantastic. I've got a lot of respect for what he did, you know. A lot of respect."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/brian_johnson_speaks_up_on_acdc_replacing_him_with_axl_rose_shares_opinion_on_gnr_frontman.html

Axl did an unbelievable job, no question, I would have loved to see that continue but this is outstanding from Brian.

Everyone thought that was it and he was finished, probably even Brian himself, deep down he'll have been hurting seeing Axl up there in his place, absolutely killing it night after night.

This really is a quite remarkable return from Brian. Whether he can return to touring or not, I'm just celebrating him overcoming the odds in this fashion.

• GNFNR 1

To be fair, having respect for Axl doesn't mean he wasn't pissed at the situation. The mortal realization that he can't keep doing what he loves and that someone else is going to take his place. That just adds to the victorious nature of this comeback.

@Powerage5 I feel that! I would probably actually rank Chris as my personal favourite AC/DC drummer, but it just feels good to have the proper band back after such a rocky go last time around. As much as I feel like Phil phoned it in on the Black Ice tour, he seems rejuvenated and there's no denying that when Phil is on - he's on. I'm glad I at least got to see Chris though. The side bass drums are magic.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 2

@James Bond Of course he was pissed. Everyone would feel the same in his situation. However, he made it clear that the whole thing is not Axl's fault. He just stepped in and helped out and did what every other singer would have done. 

12 minutes ago, James Bond said:

To be fair, having respect for Axl doesn't mean he wasn't pissed at the situation. The mortal realization that he can't keep doing what he loves and that someone else is going to take his place. That just adds to the victorious nature of this comeback.

@Powerage5 I feel that! I would probably actually rank Chris as my personal favourite AC/DC drummer, but it just feels good to have the proper band back after such a rocky go last time around. As much as I feel like Phil phoned it in on the Black Ice tour, he seems rejuvenated and there's no denying that when Phil is on - he's on. I'm glad I at least got to see Chris though. The side bass drums are magic.

That's my favourite thing about his drum kit. :lol: I just watched Live at Donington the other day and loved his played at Songs like Thunderstruck, Dirty Deeds and T.N.T.

Edited by Sosso
  • GNFNR 1

I think I can finally rank the songs on Power Up after 5+ listens:
1. Through The Mists Of Time
2. Realize
3. Demon Fire
4. Money Shot
5. Systems Down
6. Shot In The Dark
7. Witches Spell
8. Wild Reputation
9. Kick You When You're Down
10. No Man's Land
11. Code Red
12. Rejection

First nine on that list are excellent, last three are good. I might've felt different about Code Red if it was placed different on the album, I just really don't like how similar it is to Black Ice and Emission Control as a closing track. 

If they are eventually able to tour in support of Power Up, which songs does everyone think are most likely to make the cut and be played live?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

2. Realize
3. Demon Fire
4. Money Shot
5. Systems Down
6. Shot In The Dark
7. Witches Spell
8. Wild Reputation
10. No Man's Land
11. Code Red
12. Rejection

First nine on that list are excellent, last three are good. I might've felt different about Code Red if it was placed different on the album, I just really don't like how similar it is to Black Ice and Emission Control as a closing track. 

If they are eventually able to tour in support of Power Up, which songs does everyone think are most likely to make the cut and be played live?

Probably Shot in the Dark and Realize as those are the first two singles. Also Demon Fire and No Man's Land. 

Edited by Sosso

3 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

2. Realize
3. Demon Fire
4. Money Shot
5. Systems Down
6. Shot In The Dark
7. Witches Spell
8. Wild Reputation
10. No Man's Land
11. Code Red
12. Rejection

I totally agree with 1 and 2 on your list as the best two tracks, they'd have to be there, I'll have to mull over the rest in terms of ranking... Money Shot is up at the top as well. I see Rejection is at the bottom of the list, I really like that, personally, again... Johnno's vocals are ridiculous and a real mean, dirty groove. Love it.